Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #21
Bill

Default Re: Question for Canadian barners

I can't comment on Quebecs' DMV laws but I registered a 1940 Ford in NS on a Bill of Sale seven years ago with no problem. The car had not been registered for over 40 years still no problem. A retired former DMV person guided the transaction and it was 100% above board and legitimate. You're just not dealing with the right people. Too bad U didn't deal with this issue when the car had a significantly lower value. I'm thinking about the value for taxes on the transfer. There is a guy from Montreal who sometimes posts here, has a blue 39/40 in his avatar who might shed some light on the process can't remember his name, maybe "Dip" Good luck Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #22
rotorwrench

Quebec seems to have a different procedure than other provinces. I had a look as the SAAQ site and there seem to be two procedures that can be followed depending on circumstances of the vehicle. One is replacement of lost registration but the procedure is vague and has a lot of warnings attached. The other is for handcrafted, modified, or rebuilt vehicles. This one is less vague but a lot more complicated too. Here is a link
https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicle-r...built-vehicle/
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #23

Thanks to all of you who took the time to post your comments. It is much appreciated. I've been on the SAAQ website many times and as far as rebuilt vehicles I believe they are referring to wrecked cars and, as you say, it's a complicated process.
Ken, thanks for your kind offer but if we do that I would need documentation from Canada Customs showing that I brought the car into Canada legally.
I am now trying to contact the fellow I bought it from to see if there's anything he can do. He has about 25 antique cars in his collection and is probably well known at his local licence bureau, (Alberta). I'm told it's relatively easy to get a registration there so maybe he can get it and send it to me. Failing that I will try my luck at one of the larger lic. centers in Montreal. The one I've been dealing with is in a small town close to where i live. Many thanks, Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I can't comment on Quebecs' DMV laws. There is a guy from Montreal who sometimes posts here, has a blue 39/40 in his avatar who might shed some light on the process can't remember his name, maybe "Dip" Good luck Bill
That would be Robert Dip from Candiac, Quebec. Quite the knowledgeable guy, with lots of cool, old cars. Click the link below for a direct PM to Robert. DD

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=12139

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #25
Bulligen

That is what I was going to suggest, sell it to one of our Ford Barn guys that has had good luck in their province or state and after he get the official registration or Title he will sell it back to you for a dollar and sign it over to you. We all know this is rubbish but you have to work with what you have!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #26
Chisel

Hey Bulligen:
That's a nice looking pickup.
chisel

Evil Lurks...for those that don't carry a side arm!!!
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #27

Yes, Robert and I are good pals. We actually met thru the Ford Barn. He's been out here a number of times and I've been in to see him and drooled over his nice collection of cars! Robert is very knowledgable and I e-mailed him a few days ago and just waiting to hear back from him. I believe he's in California right now and enjoying life on a beautiful property that he bought out there!
Doug.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1934 View Post
Yes, Robert and I are good pals. We actually met thru the Ford Barn. He's been out here a number of times and I've been in to see him and drooled over his nice collection of cars! Robert is very knowledgable and I e-mailed him a few days ago and just waiting to hear back from him. I believe he's in California right now and enjoying life on a beautiful property that he bought out there!
Doug.
Here's Robert's beautiful blue '39 coupe. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #29

That car is awesome!! Robert came here for a visit in that coupe and we burnt up some country roads around here! I had a blast driving it!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #30
kirkf

Have you been going to the same registration office each time?
If so I would go to a different one.

EDIT: I see above you have been dealing with the same one in your small town. I would drive into Montreal and do it there.

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #31
CPatton

What about talking to someone from a Quebec Model T or Model A club or a Hot Rod club. Some of their members must have gone through the same thing you are trying to do.
CPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #32
KGS

Talking Re: Question for Canadian barners

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1934 View Post
Dyna, unfortunately Quebec is notorious for its love of buraucracy. On top of that there seems to be some kind of rivalry or politics going on between the police and the licence bureau. The officer who came and saw my car was very helpful and accomodating and we filled out this 'special' form which he signed. When I took the form and my bill of sale to the lic. bur. the woman there told me that form only proves the car was never stolen and means nothing to them as far as acquiring a registration. I asked her why the police said this is what I need and all I got was attitude from her! She said she doesn't give out traffic tickets on her days off and the police dept. has no authorization in their affairs! I said, 'merci beaucoup' and walked out!
Doug.
This post will be of no help but I thought I'd mention that that woman sounds like my buddy's ex wife...
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #33
v8deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasi View Post
Id try to register it in another province, hopefully you'd know someone, might be best in Alberta, no PST there, just GST @ 5%, you might be able to put in in your name, friends address then move to QC and change address, theres gotta be a way to beat the government
X2
Randy
v8deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:41 AM   #34
Randy in ca

Personally I would try to have it registered other than as an antique if possible. Although this would undoubtably be more expensive. Being able to only drive it only on streets/roads where the speed limit is 70 kph (40mph) or less, as stated on the webpage, seems pretty restrictive as to where you can go (whether you drive faster than that or not). What does your friend Robert do in this regard?
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #35

I agree, Randy. If I ever get the paper work sorted out I will register it as a regular car with no restrictions. Thanks.
Doug.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #36

Update; I went to one of the larger license centers and spoke with someone who was very efficient and helpful. I was there for quite some time while she discussed my situation on the phone with one of the head-honchos in Quebec City. The upshot is that I need to do four things before I can have the car registered in my name;
-Write a detailed letter explaining why I did not register the car when I first got it back in 2005
-Have an appraisal done to determine the value of the car
-Have the car weighed on an electronic scale, (I had the Ford book with me showing the weight on page G-20 but that wouldn't do).
-Have the police fill in and sign another form because the one I had with me had expired. It was only good for 48 hrs.(I didn't read the fine print).
All this seems like a huge hassel but at least I now know that it's do-able! Let the 'hoop jumping' begin!!!
Doug.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #37

I finally got the car registered in my name! After a ton of red tape and several trips to the SAAQ it's now officially MY car. The next step is the inspection but I'm not too concerned about that- it should pass, (famous last words). The lady even gave me a plate with 34 on it! Thanks to all of you who posted with your ideas and support.
Doug.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #38
rotorwrench

That's worth whooping it up and happy dancing over. I'm glad it went your way.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #39
Ron Pilger

I am the associate publisher of a community newspaper in central Alberta. When this "FordBarn saga" started weeks back I assigned one of my reporters to go to our Alberta Registry office and interview the general manager to get the straight goods on the process or acquiring plates for a vintage vehicle. I'm hopeful his summary, as published in March, 2017, might be helpful, at least to car hobbyists in our neck of the woods. Here goes:

Vintage plates for your classic vehicle

By Murray Green, The Camrose Booster.
After you have restored or repaired an older vehicle you need to decide on your driving habits, where or when you will taking that vehicle on the road.
If you are driving the vehicle like any other that are currently on the road they you simply go to a registry office and complete the paper work.
However, an antique passenger or motorcycle plate is available for vehicles or motorcycles that are 25 years old or more.
“An antique plate can only used as a collector’s item in exhibitions, in club activities, parades, as transportation to and from these events and as transportation to servicing appointments,” said Karen Dammann, manager of Camrose Registry.
“Once you have an antique plate, you don’t have to renew it. You only have to register it once with one fee. That is the good thing about an antique plate.”
To purchase an antique plate, you must provide acceptable identification, the vehicle must be a minimum of 25 years old, if it’s imported you need an import form, have proof of ownership and if the vehicle is from outside Alberta, you have a vehicle inspection.
“If the vehicle is too old to be included the registry system anymore, it would need an out of province inspection, even if it was an Alberta vehicle,” explained Karen. “If the vehicle is not in the system, we would have create it again. We can only create a file if it has an out of province inspection.”
Restoring and registering a vehicle without a serial number can be done. “You would have to get a serial number assigned to that vehicle and the cost is a little over $500 and that is through the Insurance Bureau of Canada. We have forms to fill out to start the process, or they are available on line. That is above what it costs normally to register the vehicle,” she added.
Only approved certified mechanics can perform out of province inspections. Check with your local mechanics for details. Forms are available at the registry office.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #40

Ron, many thanks for the time and effort for that! Much appreciated! The plan is to license it as a regular car with no restrictions. My work is about 10 mins. away and I'd like to drive there with it on a regular basis. I live about 5 mins. from the U.S. border and if I want to go for a drive around upstate NY or Vermont I want to have the right license, ins. etc. to do so. I want this to be my 'daily driver' and use it as much as possible. I've learned from past experience that the more you drive these cars the 'happier' they are. When they sit around for any length of time there always seems to be 'issues'. Anyway, that's the plan.....
Doug.