Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
Ken B

Default Manifold cooking

Our club is looking into doing some manifold cooking. I did a search in this forum and got some good ideas. But, I remember a vintage photo of a rear bumper mounted oven that got it's heat from the exhaust passing through a sealed chamber. Does anyone have this picture or information on other styles of cooking contraptions for the Model A?
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Bruce Adams

Default Re: Manifold cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Our club is looking into doing some manifold cooking. I did a search in this forum and got some good ideas. But, I remember a vintage photo of a rear bumper mounted oven that got it's heat from the exhaust passing through a sealed chamber. Does anyone have this picture or information on other styles of cooking contraptions for the Model A?
Are you sure you were not recalling the WW 2 method of utilizing a rear mounted charcoal burner to power the engine with unburnt exhaust gasses being utilized into the carburator as fuel?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
denis4x4

Check out some of the Jeep and 4x4 forums for info on manifold cooking. We went four wheeling with a group that was really in to manifold cooking and the food was great. One couple actually figured out how to do a cobbler.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

A friend wraps hot dogs in aluminum foil and lays them on his Model A exhaust manifold, and they are well cooked.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:39 AM   #5
DougVieyra

There was a run of 'Professionally Made' manifold cookers - black metal with a ford script logo, made a few years back. They were made for both the Model A and the Model T. The last time I saw one was on a post / ad on a Model T website.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
springerpete

Never tried it on my A but it works well on my T. My cooker came with a recipe book which included the miles/time you needed to do the food properly. Mine was a gift but I think it came from Lang's.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
Ted Duke

Back in the 70's I went on a short tour with the Hampton Roads Model A club and someone cooked dinner (hamburger, onions) in aluminum foil on the manifold and another A had loaves of hot bread (already baked). There were other meals, but I don't remember what they were. Manifold cooking works.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
RonC

Model T's cook better!
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
eagle

Warming up a can of beans would be very simple.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
Lyn in Atlanta

I purchased a manifold cooker from the website below. Great craftsmanship and it works great. The cooker offers a clean/safe way to cook a meal. The key to successful cooking is matching the time/distance of travel to the food to be prepared since you cannot adjust the temp. The maker of the cooker provided some recipes that have been tested and tasted and they work well. There are books and other articles on the web for more information on manifold cooking if you do some searching. Our club (GA Gold Mine Region) had a manifold cooking tour last summer and it was well received. My wife cooked a cobbler for the group.

http://www.frankstpartsltd.com/defau...es/Page675.htm
Lyn in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Ken B

I emailed Frank's and here is his reply:

Hi Ken, I recently sold all my product lines to Lang's Old Car Parts. I'm not sure they have the Model A Cooker on their website yet. Their contact info is: Lang's Old Car Parts 74 Maple Street Baldwinville, MA 01436 Phone: 800-872-7871 Fax: 978-939-5600 [email protected] www.modeltford.com Frank

I called Lange's and they won't have all the parts back at their shop until next week.Apparently this was a very recent sale.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
hootchmonster

So... muffler meat at the next meeting Ken? I thought we were going to have chicken!

Brad
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
John LaVoy

Manifold cooking does work but it takes some time and if cooking raw meat it should be checked with an instant read thermometer to make sure it is safe to eat. Contact with the exhaust manifold gives you the heat. I've seen some of the home made cookers with little brackets to hold them above the manifold but they didn't seem to work well. I've done it several times but with simple items like hot dogs that all you are doing is warming them. I did follow a car on a tour years ago that was doing a roast. We were running down Hwy 1 along the Pacific Ocean. I'm in an open car and the aroma was wonderful, but I was starving by the time we stopped for lunch! There was a chapter that was selling manifold cook books with instructions, I think it was in Phoenix but don't remember for sure.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote