Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #21
larrys40

Default Re: emergency brake question

Ken,
I will send you a photo in the morning of one that is handy in my shop right now.... the levers on them are probably at the 11:00 oclock position
with the e-brake handle off does the rod from e-brake lever at backing plate have adjustment on clevis to cross shaft lever? I have seen those levers bent
be back with you in A.M......
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
No, the last post I did shows the Ebrake arm without the brake rod on it at the 12 o'clock position at rest and the u-link attached. It should be at the 11 o'clock position. The pictures are on the drivers side.

If this was in response to me, I think you might have misunderstood me. I was asking if the rod from the emergency brake handle (up by the shifter) to the cross shaft might be too short. That would put the cross shaft in a position of being partially engaged even though the handle is in the fully relaxed position.
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
Ken B

Originally Posted by Ken B
No, the last post I did shows the Ebrake arm without the brake rod on it at the 12 o'clock position at rest and the u-link attached. It should be at the 11 o'clock position. The pictures are on the drivers side.

"If this was in response to me, I think you might have misunderstood me. I was asking if the rod from the emergency brake handle (up by the shifter) to the cross shaft might be too short. That would put the cross shaft in a position of being partially engaged even though the handle is in the fully relaxed position."

I believe my problem is with the parts on the backing plate. With the e-brake rod removed, the e-brake arm shouldn't be pointing straight up. It should be back about 15-20 degrees. My other two car's brake arms angle back towards the axle housing at rest. I will keep you posted with any findings. I will try to locate some more brake arms, toggle levers, and u-links and compare them to what I have.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #24
columbiA

Is the key way for the woodruff key cut in the proper spot? with repro parts ,you never know,s quality control seems to be non existent some times.The clevise pin on the brake arm should have the head facing out or it may rub on drum.Make sure it is the right length as one of the pins is shorter than the others.You may find that the drum will not go on,because the repro pqrk lining is usaally about 1/32" thicker than original.In that case,put the bands in the vice & sand them down with a small belt sander or use a 4 1/2" angle grinder like I did.It wont matter if a few rivet heads are close as the brake is only meant to be a parking& can be damaged if applied quickly at speed.The best brake carrier plates to use are the late 31,sas they have4 tabs that give more support for the bands.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #25
larrys40

Ken,
I had trouble loading photographs.. but hopefully these are viewable to you ... This is showing "brake off, and "brake on" of the e-brake levers. The distance of e-brake handle lever is 2-clicks...... Usually it takes a little pressure to get the "C" link to reach the lever with the springs on... lever and links... I don't see anything drastically wrong in your photos. Maybe attach the link/arm and take another photo showing the arms as I have.. Will help with diagnosis any way I can....
Pics below..
Larry S.

Brake off

Brake on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake on.JPG (64.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg brake off.JPG (66.1 KB, 47 views)
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote