Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Hunter

Default Bill Hirsch Tank Sealer - 2002 - Ethanol

Didn't get any traction on this question when I responded to a more general post on tank sealers, so I though I would try again.

Around 2002 I used the Bill Hirsch sealer in my gas tank after having it chemically dipped to clean it out. After completing the restoration, around 2012, I decided to use ethanol free gasoline as I had read somewhere that the use of gas with ethanol could attack a sealer and cause it to come loose and clog things up. I don't believe a particular sealer was mentioned and I have no idea where I read this info.

The area that I live in has no ethanol free gas stations. The closest one being in Berlin Md, a considerable distance away. (I have used the internet site that lists the ethanol free stations in an attempt to find one). So in order to keep it ethanol free I have being using high octane racing fuel which is stated to be ethanol free. I have tested it to be sure that it is indeed ethanol free. This gas is very expesnive ($6.50 a gallon) and not always readily available.

So my question is --- for people that have the Bill Hirsch sealer from say the year 2000 forward, have you had any issues with gasoline with ethanol attacking the sealer? I hope not, as I want to start driving this car more and would really like to run gasoline with ethanol without fear of it attacking the sealer.

Thank you - Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
bettlesr

Default Re: Bill Hirsch Tank Sealer - 2002 - Ethanol

I coated mine around that time with the Bill Hersch sealer and I've had no problems. I have about 13,000 miles on it now.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Ed Saniewski

I have the Hursh sealer in my roadster's gas tank also done in 2002. I have been running the ethanol 10% since then, 20,000 miles, and have had no problems yet. I restored my 31 S/W town sedan in 2006 and used the POR 15 sealer. I went to the POR 15 headquarters in Hanover NJ, 15 min. ride from home, and asked their engineers what they thought about the ethanol and there sealer. He said there should be no problem with 10 %. But he could or would not comment on what will happen if the % goes up.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Mikeinnj

I followed the directions on a can of Bill Hirsch's sealer in 1996
Using ethanol, no problems.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
wrndln

Hunter,
Checkout my experience with Bill Hirsh sealer - not so good. I am sticking with ethanol free gas even though I didn't seal my gas tank with anything in the phaeton. I had TankRENU do the coupe and who knows what they used to seal it. Ethanol free gas is still available here in Lakeville, MN at 30 cent more per gallon - how long will it last, who knows. It is worth it.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ht=Bill+Hirsch
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Rusty, you're lucky you're on the south side. On the north side of the Twin Cities I have to pay a buck a gallon extra most of the time. 5 years ago it was only 25 cents extra.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
Gerard

No problem with Bill's sealer for two cars: MG TD .And a model A 4 doors for years now. BUT follow the instruction to the letter

Gerard
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
Fred K-OR

Have had no problem with this sealer on two A's/
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
Hunter

Some additional input:

I spoke to a gentleman at Bill Hirsch and he stated that the sealer they have sold for the past 15 years or so (red can) should be fine. He said the label was changed to state "alcohol resistant" a few years ago, but the content has been the same for the past 15 years or so. The product in the can is white.

He stated prior to the red can product it could be attacked by ethanol. This was in a blue can and the product itself was yellow in color.

So that is the manufacturer's statement. If I had to do it again, after having the gas tank dipped/cleaned, I would not use the sealer (one less thing to worry about).
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Hunter

Rusty,

How many years ago did you use the sealer? Red can or blue can?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
wrndln

Hunter,
It was probably 15 years or so ago. It was suppose to be alcohol resistant. I followed the directions carefully. I can't remember the color of the can. Maybe I got a bad batch of sealer. The sealer was white. Luckily, I didn't do my gas tank with the stuff, because it was a mess. It sounds like other Bill Hirsch sealer users are happy with their results. I don't plan to use sealers in the future. I always try to clean the tanks well and use the small in tank screen filter stuck in the fuel shutoff valve.
Rusty
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Ed Saniewski

I did not use a sealer when I restored my 29 CCPU two years ago because I am worried about what may be coming down the road as far as gasoline additives.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #13
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Didn't get any traction on this question when I responded to a more general post on tank sealers, so I though I would try again.

Around 2002 I used the Bill Hirsch sealer in my gas tank after having it chemically dipped to clean it out. After completing the restoration, around 2012, I decided to use ethanol free gasoline as I had read somewhere that the use of gas with ethanol could attack a sealer and cause it to come loose and clog things up. I don't believe a particular sealer was mentioned and I have no idea where I read this info.

The area that I live in has no ethanol free gas stations. The closest one being in Berlin Md, a considerable distance away. (I have used the internet site that lists the ethanol free stations in an attempt to find one). So in order to keep it ethanol free I have being using high octane racing fuel which is stated to be ethanol free. I have tested it to be sure that it is indeed ethanol free. This gas is very expesnive ($6.50 a gallon) and not always readily available.

So my question is --- for people that have the Bill Hirsch sealer from say the year 2000 forward, have you had any issues with gasoline with ethanol attacking the sealer? I hope not, as I want to start driving this car more and would really like to run gasoline with ethanol without fear of it attacking the sealer.

Thank you - Hunter
Hunter,
I bought my fuel tank sealer (a Bill Hirsh product) from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty in 2011. As far as I know it was the only sealer (sloshing compound) certified by the FAA for use in aircraft fuel tanks. I figured that if it was FAA approved that it had to be good stuff. 2000 miles of alcohol laced gasoline and no trouble at all.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #14
Arlen

Coated ours with Bill Hirsch in 2002 and have had no problem with it.