Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
gz

Default Re: buyer's beware #2

Paypal will protect the buyer if nothing is received. This means, if the buyer calls Paypal within a certain amount of time and tells Paypal they did not receive the item they paid for, Paypal will refund the buyer and debit the money from the seller's account until the seller can provide proof that the item has been shipped and received. If the seller provides Paypal with a tracking number that shows the item has been delivered and signed for, then Paypal will give the seller the money back, if not, the buyer keeps the refund. That is why anything you sell via Paypal should be shipped with a tracking number and anything valued at over 200.00 should require a signature.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
QGolden

At least for you that have been stiffed, you should go into his ad threads, and remind him how long you have been waiting on your parts. That will prevent someone else from getting hurt.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
Ross/Kzoo

QGolden, are you saying go to the Model A Parts for Sale section and place an ad asking LD "Where are my Parts"?
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
Purdy Swoft

Is he still trying to sell parts on the swap site?
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
Keith True

My experience with paypal was not what it was cracked up to be.I didn't receive a set of top irons and bows I bought.The seller did admit he had spent the money,and couldn't ship the top parts.Divorce,restraining order to keep him off his property,etc.I notified paypal,they got money back right off.$56. Not the $500.or so the item was.They took every dime he had in his account,and he couldn't buy or sell until he paid it all,but that never happened.For some reason I had used my own credit card through paypal,instead of theirs.I contacted my card company,they backcharged paypal for the remainder.Paypal screamed a lot,as they were now the ones on the hook for the money,but they tried to collect it from the seller a lot more aggressively than they tried for me.I had to completely drop paypal later.they tried to backcharge me for the return of a downpayment on a Harley I had never seen,owned,heard of,or tried to sell.It got straightened out when they found it was a security leak through their own system.I dropped paypal and haven't missed them yet.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
zzlegend

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114681
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
My experience with paypal was not what it was cracked up to be.I didn't receive a set of top irons and bows I bought.The seller did admit he had spent the money,and couldn't ship the top parts.Divorce,restraining order to keep him off his property,etc.I notified paypal,they got money back right off.$56. Not the $500.or so the item was.They took every dime he had in his account,and he couldn't buy or sell until he paid it all,but that never happened.For some reason I had used my own credit card through paypal,instead of theirs.I contacted my card company,they backcharged paypal for the remainder.Paypal screamed a lot,as they were now the ones on the hook for the money,but they tried to collect it from the seller a lot more aggressively than they tried for me.I had to completely drop paypal later.they tried to backcharge me for the return of a downpayment on a Harley I had never seen,owned,heard of,or tried to sell.It got straightened out when they found it was a security leak through their own system.I dropped paypal and haven't missed them yet.
It's the same thing if you were to take someone to court. You may win a judgment but if they don't have the means to pay (new stay at home Dad no on the books job) you still don't get the money.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #28
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
My experience with paypal was not what it was cracked up to be.I didn't receive a set of top irons and bows I bought.The seller did admit he had spent the money,and couldn't ship the top parts.Divorce,restraining order to keep him off his property,etc.I notified paypal,they got money back right off.$56. Not the $500.or so the item was.They took every dime he had in his account,and he couldn't buy or sell until he paid it all,but that never happened.For some reason I had used my own credit card through paypal,instead oput a hold on hisf theirs.I contacted my card company,they backcharged paypal for the remainder.Paypal screamed a lot,as they were now the ones on the hook for the money,but they tried to collect it from the seller a lot more aggressively than they tried for me.I had to completely drop paypal later.they tried to backcharge me for the return of a downpayment on a Harley I had never seen,owned,heard of,or tried to sell.It got straightened out when they found it was a security leak through their own system.I dropped paypal and haven't missed them yet.
doesn't PayPal have access to his credit card, though perhaps he closed the credit card, but then I would think PayPal would get notified and put him on a hold from selling on E-Bay.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
doesn't PayPal have access to his credit card, though perhaps he closed the credit card, but then I would think PayPal would get notified and put him on a hold from selling on E-Bay.
I don't think credit card companies notify anybody but the owner of the card when it is cancelled.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #30
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I don't think credit card companies notify anybody but the owner of the card when it is cancelled.
They aren't real good about notifying the owner of the card. I've had the experience several times of them putting a hold on or even cancelling my card because "my CC information may have been compromised at an undisclosed merchant or service provider". The only way I knew was that my card started to be declined. Twice that happened to me while I was out of state. Called the bank, "Oh, we mailed you replacement cards last week" of course to my home address when I'm 6,000 miles away.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #31
Keith True

The seller was a square trade member,good ratings,all looked good.When I tried to push the issue with paypal,they said,what do you expect us to do,take the money out of our pockets and hand it to you?When I notified my card company the girl I talked to said,hey you're in N.H.,you have different rules there.Because of some technicality in my state my transaction was with paypal,not the buyer.In effect,paypal took my money from my credit card,and in turn paid the seller.In short,no receipt of part=return of money.They took it back from paypay.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #32
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
QGolden, are you saying go to the Model A Parts for Sale section and place an ad asking LD "Where are my Parts"?
Not really, what I meant was if I had sent him money, and did not get the item, I would bring up the original for sale thread, and make the comment in his thread. it will bump it to the top, and give anyone else some warning that completing the deal might be a problem. You could even "remind" him of the issue in the thread,every couple of weeks, keeping it bumped up on the first few pages,

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #33
Franchise_24

He has not been on FordBarn for a little over 2 months now. Hopefully nothing bad happened to him. I had a friend who was a member here on FordBarn, and then tragically he was gone, so anything is possible. :-(
Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #34
Rowdy
BANNED

Don't be too fast to jump to that conclusion earlier this year he asked about how to post with a different user name depending on which forum he was on. I looked for the post last night and did not find it, but remember reading it and responded to it. Chances are he is lurking here somewhere under a different user name. Rod
Old 10-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #35
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Don't be too fast to jump to that conclusion earlier this year he asked about how to post with a different user name depending on which forum he was on. I looked for the post last night and did not find it, but remember reading it and responded to it. Chances are he is lurking here somewhere under a different user name. Rod

KenB says he has spoken to him over the last two months, Another barner says he has been waiting since 2005 for his parts that he paid for.

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck....
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
Ryan
Administrator

I'm on it.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #37
old car guy

Now the right person is on the job.My bet is ryan will make something happen soon. Its a shame that it has even gotten to this point. Its really simple . If you post something for sale and sell it

Just ship it to the new owner.

Because once you accept and deposit or use the money its now longer yours they own it

Ryan thanks for keeping this the best site on the net
Old 10-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #38
Rowdy
BANNED

My mistake, it was 38conv that asked the question on the late V8 forum. Somehow I remembered it being the person discussed in this thread. My aplology for the missinformation, although I find that sort of activity abit fishy. JMHO. Rod
Old 10-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #39
ronn

stou- Paypal ALWAYS gives the buyer a chance to return the goods for a refund, so have no idea who you spoke with.
That is the point of Paypal.... you should call again, unless there is more to your story.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote