Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #21
GordonJ

Default Re: Am I unfaithfull to model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Skip View Post
This has no direct bearing on Model A’s (and I apologize for the long post) but does have something to do with other vehicles driven by Model A owners. Recently, our club (the Napa Valley A’s chapter of MAFCA) finished participating in the 2nd Annual Shearer Charter School (an elementary school here in Napa CA) Car Show, put on by the Parent-Teachers’ Association to raise money for school supplies, field trips and such.

Inasmuch as the principal is one of our club members, and inasmuch as it gives us a chance to show off our Model A’s to the (very) younger generation, we gladly take part. This year, the 72 entries included not only Model A’s (including a dual in-line twin Model-A engined bullet-shaped racer), classic (and low-rider) late 50’s and 60’s iron, but Teslas (way out of my price league), Chevrolet (sorry) Volts, Fiskers, and everything in between. The principal’s husband Ron (owner of Soscol Auto Body here in Napa and in the middle of restoring his first Model A, a 1929 standard coupe) also owns an AC Cobra, so several of this mark were also included.

Now Ron and I go back a ways, having belonged to the same service club for a number of years, and for most of that time he has been after me to “experience” his Cobra. Following the car show, I finally relented and agreed to go for a short ride once I got my Model A back home, “home” being out in the sticks of Napa County, surrounded by vineyards and a couple of neighbors. Sure enough, as I was putting the car cover back on my coupe, I heard what sounded like death-and-destruction coming down the road, frightening the (elderly) neighbors and generally disturbing what passes for bucolic peace out here. It was the Cobra.

After having bid my wife farewell, I shoehorned my body into the passenger seat (“Don’t grab the windshield, Skip!”) and fastened the 5-point harness. Ron then headed out to Highway 29 and turned upvalley towards St. Helena. Leaving the last stoplight north of Yountville, he accelerated and the physical sensation was dramatic. My head snapped back and as I was compressed into the seat the blood drained from my head. My vision began to narrow and as the Cobra continued to accelerate towards warp speed, I sensed the classic relativistic color shift as the objects ahead turned blue and the objects behind (what little I could see of them) turned red. I tried to glance over at the instrument panel, to see how fast we were going, but couldn’t focus on the speedometer. I did notice Ron motioning to me and leaning over, heard him shout, “Hold on Skip, I’m about to shift into second!”

All in all, I prefer driving my Model A.
Love the story!!!

Reminds me of a time when the 19 year old brother of my 16 year old best friend bought a "Corvette" for a little Summer fun. This car had been the winner of the 1964 Winternational Drag Races. It was a monster of a car with slicks on the back that looked like they were 3 feet wide each. The engine noise nearly required earplugs and I am really unsure how he managed to get a license plate for it. So he says, "Wanna go for a ride?" and of course I said "Oh yes!". He and I got in and he reached into his pocket, pulled out a twenty dollar bill and put it on the dash. He said, "If you can get the twenty before I get into third gear, you can have it". He laid into the accelerator and the car roared off from a dead stop. I couldn't lift my arms from my side and if you think there wasn't huge motivation for a 16 year old to get that twenty, you don't remember being 16! His comment to me after slowing down was, "haven't lost it yet.."

By the way, he sold the car (at a huge loss) about a month later when he found out how much gasoline it consumed and how much it was going to cost to replace the slicks that he wore out in about two weeks.
GordonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
Gerard

Default Re: Am I unfaithfull to model A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorgray View Post
I have two MG's. A TD and an MGA Coupe. They both are a blast to drive and once you get used to working on them they are easy to maintain and repair. Moss Motors has every part you need and really most parts are not expensive. I have had my 30 coupe for only a couple of months. It seemed complicated at first but the more I learn the easier it gets. I bet it will be the same with the MG's.
Hi, Thanks for the thumbs up on the MG. I have been playing with model A's for over 40 years and it was time now for something else.
Have a lot of fun with this new baby, stopped all the oil leaks and hunting now for some spare parts to put on the shelf.
If you need some advice for your model A or need something just give a call always willing to help.

regards, gerard hengeveld 250 402 2052
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)