Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
slowforty

Default What Went Wrong?

What went wrong?

About a year ago or so I decided to finally fix all the items that i have neglected on my 40 Ford.
Such as a fresh engine.some brake work, a rear sway bar(works great). some electrical items, Fresh Distributor and Rebuilt Carburetor. New Battery and a bunch of other stuff that I had been putting off.
So after installing all of the above items. I had an issue. The 40 started and ran well but would not go over 60 mph, flat out,foot feed clear to the floor,and that is all there is and there aint no more !
I thought it might be a fuel delivery problem. I put in a new electric fuel pump and a larger line. But this did not help.
Now for intermission.
Winter in Chicago delayed any further work on the car for a couple of months .No heat, Really Cold and the owner does move well anymore and generally has a bad attitude.
The distributor was rebuilt by Bubba in Indy and The Carb Rebuilt by Charlie in N.Y. (These Items are working Great)
So I checked everything as well as i could, without making any progress.
One of my few friends an experienced (Really Old) mechanic said "Check the Simple things First."
He said to make sure the throttle was completely open. In checking this,I found that the Throttle was not open completely by about an 1/8 of an inch.Which does not sound like much.Also the Gas Linkage Rod was worn also on both ends. The ends and had about 3/16th of an inch play on both ends.So i ordered a Gas linkage rod from C&G. Evidently with the approximately 1/4 inch of play in the linkage this is what caused the problem. The solution was a new rod.
I have put about 75 miles on the car so far and it moves right down the road with a 75 mph run a couple of times.

As a side note I bought a real nice 1963 Buick Electra 225. When both of the vehicles are parked in the garage I tell them the first one to cause problems is getting sold.
It seems to have worked well so far.

All The Best
Roger
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: What Went Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
What went wrong?

About a year ago or so I decided to finally fix all the items that i have neglected on my 40 Ford.
Such as a fresh engine.some brake work, a rear sway bar(works great). some electrical items, Fresh Distributor and Rebuilt Carburetor. New Battery and a bunch of other stuff that I had been putting off.
So after installing all of the above items. I had an issue. The 40 started and ran well but would not go over 60 mph, flat out,foot feed clear to the floor,and that is all there is and there aint no more !
I thought it might be a fuel delivery problem. I put in a new electric fuel pump and a larger line. But this did not help.
Now for intermission.
Winter in Chicago delayed any further work on the car for a couple of months .No heat, Really Cold and the owner does move well anymore and generally has a bad attitude.
The distributor was rebuilt by Bubba in Indy and The Carb Rebuilt by Charlie in N.Y. (These Items are working Great)
So I checked everything as well as i could, without making any progress.
One of my few friends an experienced (Really Old) mechanic said "Check the Simple things First."
He said to make sure the throttle was completely open. In checking this,I found that the Throttle was not open completely by about an 1/8 of an inch.Which does not sound like much.Also the Gas Linkage Rod was worn also on both ends. The ends and had about 3/16th of an inch play on both ends.So i ordered a Gas linkage rod from C&G. Evidently with the approximately 1/4 inch of play in the linkage this is what caused the problem. The solution was a new rod.
I have put about 75 miles on the car so far and it moves right down the road with a 75 mph run a couple of times.

As a side note I bought a real nice 1963 Buick Electra 225. When both of the vehicles are parked in the garage I tell them the first one to cause problems is getting sold.
It seems to have worked well so far.

All The Best
Roger

Perhaps you need to check the distributor set up on your vehicle?
Are you running the 6v crab style or the divers helmet.
Either way just to check where the timing is at. This symptom you describe can be related if too much advance. Drops off speed at the top end. i would check it and once established where its at a slight retard and road test and see where its at.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
Perhaps you need to check the distributor set up on your vehicle?
Are you running the 6v crab style or the divers helmet.
Either way just to check where the timing is at. This symptom you describe can be related if too much advance. Drops off speed at the top end. i would check it and once established where its at a slight retard and road test and see where its at.
Phil NZ
Re read your post. So the problem is now all good?
Phl NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #4
Brian

As I was reading your post, I straight away thought 'you're not getting full throttle opening'. I struck the exact same problem on a friends 39 Mercury a few years back. But you sorted it yourself, so I guess I don't get the chocolate fish!! Good of you to report...I think this is more common than expected. Add the thickness of some carpet etc, doesn't take much.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
slowforty

Distributor was set up by Bubba, So there is no reason to check. Besides I would just mess it up anyway. The floor mat thickness was an item also considered.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
mfirth

As a side note, i had an experience like that and it was the inner lining of a flexible fuel pump hose collapsing & restricting flow. Took me 2 days to find it........fun stuff ! mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote