Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
51 MERC-CT

Default A new? Free picture hosting site.

It's called 'Tinypic' and is part of the 'Photobucket' stable.

http://tinypic.com/

For those using the site. Resizing pic's to the 15" ( 600 X 800 ) option appears to work well for this Fordbarn format.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: A new? Free picture hosting site.

I posted this on HAMB (https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...#post-12457635 in case you are interested in their comments) and thought Barners with MACS might find it useful:

With the PhotoBucket experience still fresh it might be a good time for this topic. I have never used an online hosting service nor felt the need to do so. The initial post tells how I store and edit photos. I have a desktop MAC and an iPhone 6s and this is written from that perspective, I hope the PC guys will jump in and give their version.

The MAC comes with a program called Photos as part of its baseline software. It has the icon shown in the picture (this icon should appear at the bottom of the screen). To add photos into the Photos Library from an iPhone enter the password into the iPhone to open it. Connect the iPhone into any USB port on the computer (using the same cord that is used to charge the phone) and Photos will open to a Library, which is what they call the storage location. A screen will show what photos have already been loaded (if any) and ask what to do with the new photos. For my camera card it was necessary to buy a card reader from the photo store. It connects to the MAC using a USB cord. Insert a camera card in the card reader and it opens Photos and asks what to load into the computer. There may be an icon consisting of a triangle and a line below it following the name of the device (like EOS_DIGITAL) that has been connected. Any time this icon appears it is necessary to click on the icon before removing the device to be sure it is not in the process of transferring data before removing the device. The icon will disappear when it is clicked. If it is necessary to load photos from a desktop or a thumb drive that the computer doesn’t recognize open Photos by clicking Photos icon, within Photos go to the menu bar click “File” and then click “Import”. It will tell what to do from there. A slightly off topic comment is that it is possible to make a copy of the computer screen by pressing “command, shift, 3”, there will be a sound like a camera clicking and an image of the screen will be added to the desktop. This image can be handled as any other photo on the desktop. The default for the Photos program is to store all photos in one location called a Library. Within the Library all of the photos are sorted by the date they were taken. Some photos show the wrong date (and therefore will be sorted incorrectly) because the camera used to take them didn’t have the date set properly or they are a scan of an old photo in which case the date of the scan will appear. It is possible to change the date on the photo by going to the bar at the top of the page and selecting “Image” and then “Adjust Date, Time, Location”. If it is desired to sort the photos in the Library use the “Album” feature. Go to “Help” at the top of the page and enter “album”. Photos can be dragged from the main Library and dropped into separate albums. Within an album the photos can be dragged around to put them in the desired order. The photos will remain the Library if added or deleted the albums. Editing photos within an album will edit the photo in the main Library. Albums might be a good way to track builds. I also have an album for frequently used photos to save time by not having to look for them each time I need them. It is also possible to set up additional Libraries. Before clicking the Photos icon, pluging in the iPhone or inseringt a camera card to enter Photos press the option key and hold it down. A screen will come up prompting to create a new Library or change to another Library that already exists. Note that each Library is totally independent. To add the same photo to two Libraries it is necessary to add the photo to each Library separately. Changing or deleting a photo from one Library will not change or delete it in the other Library. It is cumbersome to move a photo from one Library to another. Don’t set up too many. I have one for “Family Photos” and one for “Cars and Parts” photos. I also have one called “trash” where I can go in and play without worrying about affecting important photos.

Once the pictures are in Photos it is possible to do minor (compared to Photoshop) editing. Double click on the image to make the picture full size. Click on “Edit” in the tool bar at the top. Options will appear to “Enhance”, Rotate” “Crop (including minor rotation)”, “Filter”, “Adjust”, or “Retouch”. There is also an option to add “extensions” to Photos from aftermarket developers. I have found these editing options to cover most of want I want to do.

To post on fordbarn or HAMB start by exporting the photos to somewhere they can be accessed (I like to use my “desktop”). Photos cannot be accessed from from the Photos program directly. If they are too large exporting them at a lower resolution can reduce their size. Go to the command line and click “File” and then “Export”. The prompts will explain how to export the photos at full size or less than full size to someplace like the desktop. In order to post on fordbarn go to “Attach Files” and then click on “Manage Attachments”. Next go to the box that says “Upload File from your Computer” and click “Choose File”. Go to where the files are located and highlight and “choose” the picture to post. Click “Upload” and then “Close the Window”. The screen for adding text will now appear. When creating or editing a post click on “More Options”. When the photos are dragged onto the screen where HAMB is displayed a box will appear that says in the center “Drop photos here to upload”. Save changes and you are done. (THANK YOU Ryan, it couldn’t be easier).

One final thought. I run a program called “Time Machine” from Apple that backs up my computer every 3 hours. This is nice since it is also possible to recover from viruses or Ransomware using this backup go back in time to before the problem occurred. I am also considering on line backup as a third copy of everything (what, me paranoid?).

This post was intended to be a survival guide. Once comfortable, there are a lot of other features in Photos to explore.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-27-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
19Fordy

I've been using tinypic.com for years, before I got "paint". Excellent site.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #4
cas3

after we lost all the old photo bucket posts on older threads, i cant imagine why any one would trust another free storage site. i do a lot of searching before i ask questions on the barn, or the hamb, and it is so sad that many old post no longer have the photos that some one took the time to shoot for the topic. its so easy to just store it your self, why involve another party you do not control ?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #5
tubman

"cas3" - My sentiments exactly.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have to agree, don't understand the use of the hosting sites. It always puts the post at risk. This happens all over the internet, not just here!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
glennpm

For Windows, Irfanview, a viewer, resizer and simple editor; is great and free.

http://www.irfanview.com/
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I have to agree, don't understand the use of the hosting sites. It always puts the post at risk. This happens all over the internet, not just here!
I use Google's free photo hosting service because it allows me to access the same photos from my phone, home computer, work computer, any computer, as well as post those same photos to various forums or share with others (family, friends, parts buyers, etc).

Relying on the forum's photo hosting capabilities is also risky. I'm a member of other automotive forums that have had data crashes and lost all of the photos that used the forum's hosting, while photos hosted on 3rd party services still work.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have all my photos on OneDrive, But they are always sync'd up. They are also backed up to several external hard drives. I have photos I do not want to lose.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
Paul Bennett

Why use a photo host if you already have a computer?
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

So you can access them from anywhere and on any computer, tablet, phone, etc.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #12
glennpm

Yes it may be good for universal access but it has and will make online groups like us falter. How many “kittens” and photo not available have you seen lately. Very frustrating when you have found a thread you need and the photos are missing.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Yes it may be good for universal access but it has and will make online groups like us falter. How many “kittens” and photo not available have you seen lately. Very frustrating when you have found a thread you need and the photos are missing.
There is some major confusion going on here! I store my photos online for my access. I have never posted a photo or file from my online storage. I'm in total agreement on that point, everything I post is from my hard drive and/or storage of the device I am using at the time. My online storage is constantly synched with the primary hard drive I am using and I post from the hard drive. The online storage is for access, two totally different and separate things. The online files can totally disappear and it has no affect on my local storage or any posting I have done.

All of these missing photo/files drive me crazy as well! A lot of data has been lost, years worth.