Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
Bored&Stroked

Default Warning - Sophisticated Scammer Trolling the Want Adds

Hey guys - be very careful if somebody calls you related to a 'Want Add' and has some sort of magical story about cleaning out his Dads/Moms estate or storage locker or something similar - and believes he has the very part you're looking for. He's not asking huge money - just something to make a few bucks, take if off his hands and keep him from just scrapping it and a bunch of other stuff.

There is a dude out in Nevada that is a very talented scam artist, can talk the talk, can weave a story and suck you in better than any movie ever known to man. He's the best (worst) I've seen at his game . . . everything just flows together like a well written novel - except it is all BS!

Same guy contacted a good friend of mine on the HAMB - similar story, cleaning out his Wife's Dad's place - had a rare headlight my buddy was looking for - thank God he didn't fall for the story.

Telling Signs:

a) Has a cell phone that is old and doesn't take pictures - so he can't send you any (and he's way out in the sticks - at Dad's place - bad reception).
The phone number is from AZ - Phoenix area.
b) Doesn't use the internet or have eMail.
c) Lives in some far away rural place - that you won't be able to find his address on (nor his name and family).
d) Is supposedly out in some other rural location cleaning up the family heirlooms (just there for the weekend - just flew in because escrow closed and he has to get Dad's stuff the heck out of there. Already took a bunch to the junk dealer - furniture went to the dump).
e) Dad bought a bunch of NOS stuff and he has to either take it to the dump (as he has to clean things out) or sell it for relatively cheap prices. Isn't looking to make a lot of money - just hoping somebody can use this stuff.
f) He has little time - is catching a plane back home that day and the only way to get money to him would be via a Western Union type deal

He has everything down to the detail, knows the shipping companies, has a story for where he'll deliver the parts for shipping, etc.. A very talented con artist to say the least.

And - he swears like a 'Mule Skinner' and has a mysterious wife (which he's always getting on/off the phone to talk too) . . . who is deaf!

You got it - an amazing story man and he can talk about vintage car parts, 32 - 34 stuff . . . he knows how to bait the hook for a nice tasty fish (that would be you!).

Beware Gang . . . he's a very crafty bastard.

B&S

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 07-30-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
29delivery

Default Re: Warning - Sophisticated Scammer Trolling the Want Adds

This guy tried to hit me twice while I was searching for my 36 roadster,unknown to him I had a buddy out in Vegas that jumped on the fake lead offering to bring cash and load up.The scammer went silent right away so we knew he was full of it. Sorry to see he's back.This guy is a real pile of B S.
29delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
Steve in Denver

I have had a call from the Nevada Dude as well, again, will be there tomorrow with a trailer. Haven't hear from him since. There was someone selling a black '36 5 window with a similar scam. 'Can't meet you at the car, working too hard.'

If you can't see it and drive it, it ain't real.
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
Carl

I'm glad that I didn't miss a "deal of a lifetime". This guy from way out Nevada somewhere answered my wanted ad for a 34 Henry roadster body. Same story as related by others. He is a pro because he answered some pointed questions I had about the body, but I began to wonder when he had to keep talking to his deaf wife. I almost fell for the deal but he said he had to get it off the place by that night and he was flying out that night, too. I said I live in Texas so how can I drive there and get the body before you leave? He says he will drop it off at a friends local junk yard until I get there. I only have to send him the $ via Western Union. Yeah, right.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
RKS.PA

Guys, it's really a sad situation when to make an "unearned" buck for drugs or what every, some poor SOB has to resort to trying to scam a bunch of people like us who are just trying to enjoy a hobby we love with a passion!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post

There is a dude out in Nevada that is a very talented scam artist, can talk the talk, can weave a story and suck you in better than any movie ever known to man. He's the best (worst) I've seen at his game . . . everything just flows together like a well written novel - except it is all BS!
Hey come on man, every one knows "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"

Seriously, it's always out there and puts a damper on this hobby. Thanks for posting.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:38 PM   #7
Vics Stuff

This guy has called me not only on old cars but also vintage race snowmachines off another site . He does not even remember me , That is a good thing due to the fact that I do have a second home there in Reno and am baiting him to call , if he even is in Reno . Going to track him down.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:53 PM   #8
Dodge

Is the number (602)228-71XX. ?
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:32 AM   #9
redmodelt

RE" a) Has a cell phone that is old and doesn't take pictures - so he can't send you any (and he's way out in the sticks - at Dad's place - bad reception)."
This one I could beleave, mine is that old! I would say LOL but is no joke. What do you want for less then $10 for 300 min's?
Old 07-31-2019, 04:06 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Is the number (602)228-71XX. ?
He probably changes numbers like most people do socks. The number he used for me was: (602) 361-5364. Would be nice to know who he really is and where he lives.

I'd love to see him in shackles . . . and not the ones we use on springs!

He's obviously been doing this stuff for years on our site alone (can't imagine how many people he has scammed - he's good at it) - time that he go away.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:51 AM   #11
Frank Miller

OK so you call police about the scammer. Tell him money is wired and then have police meet the person picking up the money. Western Union should be cooperative. If someone is regularly getting money wired from different people western union should flag it. With so many other ways to pay people who uses this service anymore.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
JRrev

Pretty sure this is the guy who scammed a guy in my area out of $500 for a pair of '30-31 coupe doors. Was so "nice" he was throwing in a nice fender as he was in town to clean out his dad's stuff. He wanted a Walmart card.
JRrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #13
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
... With so many other ways to pay people who uses this service anymore.
I believe WU's biggest market is sending money out of the country, like Mexico and points south. They have a line at their counter every Friday when the day-laborers get paid.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:54 AM   #14
Vics Stuff

Walmart cards are claimed anywhere so you could not locate the perp .
I hope he gets caught. I am sure there are many people who are scammed by this POS. If he is on a vintage snowmobile web site as well , I bet he frequents others sites also.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #15
skidmarks

Think about this, when he has to "speak" to his deaf wife, its probably his way of stalling the victim or to be victim as he looks up info of the fake parts he is trying to scam people with.
If he is slick with his scams, he is probably slick with the computer
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:42 AM   #16
Ziggster

Someone should do the same as what these guys did to a bunch of Nigerian scammers. Fall off the chair hilarious....

http://postarchives.entensity.net/040105/scam.htm
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #17
Flop

He called me about my want ad for electroline headlights . Same story was cleaning out his dads house and was flying back to Florida the next day . Would be very hard to ship but he thought he could get it done . Quit calling when I said I could ha e a buddy run up that was 1.5 hours away . Hopefully Ryan sees this and posts it as a sticky .

https://www.facebook.com/flop.custom
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
Bored&Stroked

Ttt
Old 08-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #19

This clown called me twice about my want ad for a 32 frame. the second time he called his name changed to Rawoul. He did not remember calling me just a week before. His dad passed and he was cleaning out his Reno house and was going to be fined for not having the property cleared out. He just wanted it out because the new owner was taking ownership in 5 hours. If I did buy this frame now it was going to be put out at the curb for trash pick up. It took him about 10 minutes to call me back to find a truck lined up to deliver it to my door in Wisconsin $475. I told him to get the truck and send it C.O.D. He did not trust me and said he would rather throw it out. I told him that would be fine , good bye.
29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #20
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 View Post
This clown called me twice about my want ad for a 32 frame. the second time he called his name changed to Rawoul. He did not remember calling me just a week before. His dad passed and he was cleaning out his Reno house and was going to be fined for not having the property cleared out. He just wanted it out because the new owner was taking ownership in 5 hours. If I did buy this frame now it was going to be put out at the curb for trash pick up. It took him about 10 minutes to call me back to find a truck lined up to deliver it to my door in Wisconsin $475. I told him to get the truck and send it C.O.D. He did not trust me and said he would rather throw it out. I told him that would be fine , good bye.
Post the phone number he used. It was probably a 'burner' . . . but what the Hell, lets keep making him change his numbers - the POS.