Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #41
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Too Much "Stuff" - too many years . . . .

I had a driveway sale, ONCE only! Had GOOD stuff, people were so CHEEP & ANNOYING, I put up a CLOSED sign, threw all the stuff in my dumpster, put it inside the gate, along with a "MEAN VICIOUS DOG" sign!!!!
Bill Disgusted
Old 03-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #42
Ted Duke

To each his own. I have a son who puts his daughter through private school with the aid of yardsales of "junk" other people pay him to cart off and she sells. She enjoys the people she meets, but then if people bug you, probably not a good idea. BTW, my wife is downsizing, I'm trying to finish several projects I started, although I did build a new cattle loading chute yesterday.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #43
Tom Wesenberg

A couple guys 5 miles away get paid twice for other people's junk. They get paid to do house cleanouts, then they get paid again when they sell the stuff in their secondhand store. I almost always find good stuff I can use when I stop there.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:25 AM   #44
DougVieyra

It is interesting and sometimes fun to watch how an initial thread 'grows legs' and morphs into another topic, sometimes closely allied, sometime not. It often leads to an area that lets us vent and open up new arenas of interest; perhaps rambling a bit, but of at least passing interest to a goodly number of us.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #45
Keith True

I sell a lot of old junk,and for the most part I enjoy it.But,I can understand how some people just don't want to deal with people coming over and pawing things over.There are some real idiot buyers out there.I just met a guy at my garage that came over to look at a box of old headlights.Some chrome,some painted,some stainless,all for plow trucks and tractors.He started right in,well,this bulb looks bad,that bulb is missing,the mounting bolt is bent,it is going to cost me a lot of money to fix them,etc.He was getting 14 headlights,6 pair and a couple of oddballs,for $50,and he was whining about it.Then he went and said the magic words,I never pay the asking price.At that point he was not a potential buyer any more.Most people are really OK though.I can see where it might only take a couple of these fools to make somebody rather scrap than sell.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #46
ronn

Here in NJ, yard sales are a waste of time for selling. Most are not interested in "junk".

However when I go up to Syracuse where my wife lives, it is the exact opposite. People are like piranhas! In a couple of hours, everything is gone-just that fast!
I guess region and incomes has a lot to do with it............
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #47
SeaSlugs

Weve had dozens of garage sales over the years, you get 2 types of buyers: people wanting to buy baby/kids clothes, and "old guys" wanting tools, fishing stuff, and garage stuff. Havent had any real boneheads that i can remember. I get more boneheads contacting me about stuff im selling on craigslist.

Some of the dumbest stuff has sold first while stuff i thought would be an easy sale either didnt sell or people wanted to pay $5 for a $75 item.

Those guys who get paid to clean out houses are the ones making the real bucks, alot of times you get these people at auctions and buy whatever they can get their hands on for $1. (ive been guilty of this for model a parts...but sell one $1 item and your moneys back haha)