Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
roll of the dices

Default 1940 Ford open car rear window frame

Is anyone reproducing the 1940 rear window for open cars? Everything I find it comes back as discontinued.
Thank you for the help
Old 06-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 1940 Ford open car rear window frame

To the best of my knowledge, no. The company that had made them is focusing on more lucrative non automotive parts.

I am, however, exploring making them in investment cast stainless. I am getting ready to take waxes* to the foundry (this week!) for a test run to see if it is technically and economically feasible, and to get a true shrinkage factor for these parts.

Attached is a snapshot of two outer frame waxes* of the 7 x 21 od 1937-39 frame. Once this is in production others will follow. If anyone has otherwise unusable frames that I could use for dimensions and hole spacing, please pm me.

* For those not familiar with "investment" casting process, a sacrificial wax or plastic image of the part is used, coated with refractory ceramic which is allowed to harden, then the ceramic is fired and the wax or plastic melts and burns out leaving a hard ceramic shell mold. The molten metal is then poured into the mold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windowwax.jpg (40.0 KB, 10 views)
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

Karl, yes it does shrink a little, not much. A RG member who apprenticed as a mold maker, he and I made many parts for 40 COE trucks both in rubber and stainless (I since sold mine) including the winged emblem on the grille. Had the casting done in Seattle. The alloy he chose was VERY hard but polished up and looked like chrome. We also made the escutcheon for my 40 Woodie where the antenna comes through the header out of stainless.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Charles Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll of the dices View Post
Is anyone reproducing the 1940 rear window for open cars? Everything I find it comes back as discontinued.
Thank you for the help
Sent you a PM
Charles Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
roll of the dices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
To the best of my knowledge, no. The company that had made them is focusing on more lucrative non automotive parts.

I am, however, exploring making them in investment cast stainless. I am getting ready to take waxes* to the foundry (this week!) for a test run to see if it is technically and economically feasible, and to get a true shrinkage factor for these parts.

Attached is a snapshot of two outer frame waxes* of the 7 x 21 od 1937-39 frame. Once this is in production others will follow. If anyone has otherwise unusable frames that I could use for dimensions and hole spacing, please pm me.

* For those not familiar with "investment" casting process, a sacrificial wax or plastic image of the part is used, coated with refractory ceramic which is allowed to harden, then the ceramic is fired and the wax or plastic melts and burns out leaving a hard ceramic shell mold. The molten metal is then poured into the mold.

Karl, thank you for the info. I am interested once you get them into production.
I am in no hurry, just collecting all the right parts for when the time comes to put my top together.

BTW, thank you for taking my call and the info for the top iron rivets
Old 06-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #6

I am amazed at the amount of items that Lebarron Bonney sold that are no longer available.What a shame.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote