Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #21
big deuce

Default Re: Warning - Sophisticated Scammer Trolling the Want Adds

Thanks for posting...
big deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:59 PM   #22
javiern54

Holy Sh*t this guy just got me! took me for $1050. I had an ad here for want 40 decklid and rear fenders and was the same damn story i'm reading above. the same exact lines about cleaning out dads house, deaf wife, getting on the plane...i'm so bummed he told me his name was randy conrad cleaning dads house in reno his number is/was 775-455-5793 what a shame
javiern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:22 AM   #23
cas3

sorry to hear that. the world is a very corrupt place today, we must all be careful, think it thru, and proceed with caution
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #24
tmiller6

Just a reminder, area codes mean nothing. My daughter still has a Michigan area code even though she’s in Tennessee.

Internet Phones like Magic Jack also allow you to select an area code.

If I can’t buy it in person or use a credit card, I will only send the money if I know the seller personally.
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #25
oldandtired

The cell phone thing amuses me. I have never owned a cell phone until this Christmas when my kids told me I had to join the 21st Century and got me one for Christmas. It's only going to cost me $40/month for something I don't want and don't want to carry around. I am not a technophobe, when I am out wandering around I just want to be left alone. One of my friends lives in Norfolk. We used to share spaces at various meets and now just have spaces close to each other at Charlotte. He has never owned a cell phone, either. Maybe my life will now be better for having a cell phone, and who knows, after I get it set up, get my new number, I may even turn it on someday.

Last edited by oldandtired; 01-01-2020 at 07:54 AM. Reason: n/a
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #26
Mart

^ You'll appreciate it one day when you break down or have some sort of medical emergency.

I sincerely hope that day never comes though.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #27
Flathead Youngin'

Dang man, what a scumbag!

So, it looks like he typically sees a want ad, you've posted your phone number and he calls claiming to have the parts?

We all like to think we are good at spotting a wolf in sheep's clothing but some actually are masters and even learn the lingo we speak.

I got took for about $350 this past summer, I'm embarrassed to say. I work with a guy that had some stuff I wanted to buy. Long story short, somehow I had the wrong number in my phone for him and thought I was texting the guy I work with. All along, he would say he has what I'm looking for, I'd send him $100 and he'd say he'd bring it to work tomorrow. I'd ask what else he had for sale...he'd name tools or guns and I sent him more money. There were red flags but because I had him in my phone, my trust was 100%.....I had no recourse through PayPal....

I never even mentioned it to the guy at work. I got his real number and started texting him. The texts had a completely different persona and feel to them.

Moral of the story, don't put the wrong number in your phone......I feel stupid for even saying that!
Old 01-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #28
19Fordy

Thanks for posting about this scammer. His day will come as "Every dirty dog has his day."
Whenever I see 40 Ford coupe trunk lids for sale I get suspicious since they are so rare.
Even if you're sent photos, you can't be sure where they came from.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #29
Blastfromthepast

A piece of advise when buying parts, Use PayPal. If the seller doesn’t have a PayPal account then just avoid the sale. Also to all the people on this site who sell parts. Get a PayPal account. It’s easy and can avoid a lot of problems for others. I myself have passed on several parts when I can’t make the transaction through PayPal.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #30
cas3

in this day and age anyone who is selling stuff has a paypal account. anyone who is scaming doesnt!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #31
19Fordy

cas3: Wow, I almost misread your pronouncement as:

In this day and age anyone who is selling stuff who doesn't have a PayPal account is scamming.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 01-01-2020 at 01:45 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #32
daviddcw

How could we catch this guy? - If we could even find him? Is there any law enforcement that would go after such a con man? If found would there be jurisdiction law enforcement that would prosecute? I thinking there needs to be a solution, an established procedure for identifying honest sellers and buyers, followed by anyone who decides to contact a seller or a buyer. This procedure could be posted as a warning on all forums and threads for the benefit of all buyers and sellers. How to do it? I don't know, I'm not that computer literate, but there must be some way, some rules to follow that would prevent rip offs. That being said, crooks are very good at what they do and Hackers prove that over and over again! Pay Pal has built in safe guards. I once sent $1,000.00 plus dollars to a seller via Pay Pal and and due to their policies the money was returned to my account by the seller who didn't deliver. However had he been a crook I probably would have been a victim. It seems to me that Pay Pal even has an insurance program to prevent loss if the seller doesn't come through with the agreed upon merchandise? I think rule one should be the common sense idea that you don't send money if you can't verify the sellers identity. Even email addresses can be phony and easily changed. It's definitely a BIG problem.
daviddcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #33
dumb person

Suddenly i have many people offering me brake drums and i'm not sure how to respond to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandtired View Post
The cell phone thing amuses me. I have never owned a cell phone until this Christmas when my kids told me I had to join the 21st Century and got me one for Christmas. It's only going to cost me $40/month for something I don't want and don't want to carry around.
I know, right? Why would anyone want to pay money every month for something they'll never use?
I remember the days when you could get $20 prepay plan a year & it'd only cost that to keep it going, using it or not. Was great for GPS devices. Or something you keep in case of shipwreck/breakdown.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #34
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
in this day and age anyone who is selling stuff has a paypal account. anyone who is scaming doesnt!
Not everyone has a PayPal account. I for one do not have one and I sell items with no problem. I also do not post photos on my ad. Scammers steal photos and then use them somewhere else to scam another person. Naturally your description is also with the item so the scammer uses that to look like he knows his parts. If someone wants photos(which almost everyone does) I send them directly to the potential buyers e-mail. I also give my phone # so they can talk to me about the item.
The first thing I do when buying is I check their name to see if they are a V-8 Club member or a member on this site. Then get a phone # so you can talk with them. Even if they sound like they know what they are talking about, if you talk to them long enough and ask enough questions you can tell if they are a BS con or not. If they try to rush you into buying the item, back off and don't go for it. If you feel uneasy(gut feeling) about a deal don't do it.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #35
Bored&Stroked

It really aggravates me that companies like Western Union are happy to be the "middle man" (and collect their fees) in these types of transactions. They don't care about the fact that so many are fraudulent - and they won't give you any help in resolving an issue.

Somebody has to go to a WU location on the other side to pickup the money - would love to "set a trap" for a scumbag like this. If anybody happens to get into a conversation with this guy - might want to think about calling the Police at the WU location where you're sending the funds - to have them catch the bastard. It would be so simple - if we all just planned a bit . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #36
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
It really aggravates me that companies like Western Union are happy to be the "middle man" (and collect their fees) in these types of transactions. They don't care about the fact that so many are fraudulent - and they won't give you any help in resolving an issue.

Somebody has to go to a WU location on the other side to pickup the money - would love to "set a trap" for a scumbag like this. If anybody happens to get into a conversation with this guy - might want to think about calling the Police at the WU location where you're sending the funds - to have them catch the bastard. It would be so simple - if we all just planned a bit . . .
This may work in the US, but if this crook is out of country good luck. It's tough enough to get foreign countries to give up a murderer for extradition. They definitely won't give up somebody who is basically a petty thief. There
are people who have absconded with millions and ran to a foreign country and have never been turned over to this country. Many of these scammers, if not most, are operating from out of the country.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #37
klicker

Unfortunately, police can't catch a scammer at Western Union. The way it works, is like money in the cloud. You send money to WU. The recipient can go to any WU in the world to receive the cash. That's why scammers use it. You might think the guy is in Reno (or wherever), but he can actually be in europe and stop at WU there.
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #38
supereal

Many, if not most, scammers use a "spoof" unit to show a false number on the caller ID, so trying to get a reliable "fix" on the caller is usually unreliable. Even "bank checks" are being counterfeited, if offered as security. One car that was offered to us turned out to be pledged to five lenders when we ran a title search on the documentation we require on any transaction.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote