Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
terry

Default cowl water holes

My 36 has these holes just behind the windshield in each corner. They go down under the dash forming a nipple about 1'' long for attachment of a drain tube. I reamed them out so water can pass through. My question is, where do the tubes go that attach to the nipples?... Behind the kick panels?, and is there another nipple behind the base of each panel? Don't want to take the panels off until someone can tell me where the water is supposed to end up. Terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: cowl water holes

they went behind the kick panel on the original 36 we worked on, I ran them down to the bottom of the cowl and put a hole to let it go thru and out, no use having water standing in the cowl
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
TJ

Be sure to clean out the lower cowl, so the water will drain out. If it's never been cleaned out you will find a lot of dirt and debris in there. I go down in there with a real long screwdriver and loosen up the dirt, etc. I then tape a small hose to the bigger hose on my shop vac and vacuum out the debris. Make sure there is an opening so the water can drain out when you are done.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
terry

Thanks fellas.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
johndee138

Just to be clear, is there a factory hole, or path somewhere in the lower cowl specifically for these drain hoses to empty through? Or does water just find a way out as best it can? Without the hose you end up with a wet left leg. I have my coupe blown apart for paint and would really like to steer this water out without doing the wrong thing. I looked for a factory hole recently but the only holes I found were for the fender bolts/cage nuts.
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #6
alanwoodieman

sorry design on Fords part, it just originally drained into the cowl panel and as it aged dirt collects there, dirt collects moisture and everything starts to RUST! I ran the rubber drain tube thru a hole I drilled, not original but it should have. Working on welding up all the rusted our panels on my 49 F1 pick up front/rear fenders, another sorry design by Ford
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
terry

Mine is an early '36. I looked and saw holes below the kick panel, mostly out of sight. I can't tell if they came that way or someone added them later. I poured some water in them and out it came from the lower cowl onto the running boards. I haven't put the hoses behind the panels yet. Terry
Old 07-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
klicker

Same on my 39 coupe, tubes at corner of windshield. Drain out the bottom of cowl? I recall a post about T-into a drain from the cowl vent....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180714_175356.jpg (62.3 KB, 38 views)
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
40cpe

I cleaned the cowl corners on my '38 a few years ago, IIRC there is a gap where two panels overlap for a water drain.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote