Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
CountrySquire55

Default Vacuum Wipers Will Not Turn Off

Long time Model A Ford owner and just bought a 1956 Fairlane Town Sedan. It has 292 4-bbl and air cooled Ford-O-Matic transmission. It also has original vacuum wipers with optional windshield washer. Windshield washer will squirt water when pedal depressed but will not activate the windshield wipers. Using the control knob on the dash, the wipers turn on and seem to work okay but will not turn off when control knob rotated to off position. However, when engine is turned off, then restarted, the wipers will park properly and turn off. I have checked to ensure all vacuum lines are connected and can feel the control cable moving the open/close valve on the wiper motor as I turn the on/off knob. Any suggestions for adjustments? Wiper motor is still installed in the car but I removed the AM radio for access. Thanks from this 56 Fairlane newby!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG952418.jpg (20.8 KB, 6 views)
CountrySquire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Vacuum Wipers Will Not Turn Off

My solution to lousy vacuum wipers was to go electric. Sorry I can't help you
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

The foot pump on your washer is designed to squirt washer fluid from the "See Clear" windshield washer bag AND operate the windshield wipers. If you depress the foot pump and immediately release it, it will squirt fluid on the windshield and the wipers will cycle once. If you want the wipers to cycle more than once, simply hold the foot pump down and release it after you are satisfied with the number of cycles the wipers have made.
As I recall, there should be a small rubber hose coming off the foot pump actuator that goes to a nylon "tee" fitting under the dash right where the large rubber hose from the engine pokes thru the firewall into the interior. From that "tee" another hose connects to the wiper motor. The large end of the "tee" connects to the large rubber hose going out to the metal tubing above the intake manifold of the engine.
You may need to remove the foot pump and clean the internal passages with CLR or ZEP lime remover. Some replacement parts for the foot pump are available at your favorite repro parts supplier, but I don't think the actuator itself has ever been offered.
67.JPG
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

BTW I rarely disagree with Paul2748, but I have been driving this '55 Ford sedan for over 40 years with the identical vacuum wiper system you have, using it often in all type of extreme weather. It is a good system and I have no complaints of it whatsoever.
What I hate is that nowadays, windshield wiper blade replacements are garbage (likely made in china) and only last a mere fraction of the time the original wiper blades lasted.
Regardless whether you are using blades from the repro sales guys or the universal break-off to fit blades, they are all junk.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #5
CountrySquire55

Thank you Dave for your response. I will double check all the vacuum line connections to make sure they are correct and also try to clean the actuating valve on the washer mechanism. I intend to get the vacuum wipers and washer operating as designed and keep them on the car. Thank you again for your advice!
CountrySquire55 is offline   Reply With Quote