Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2021, 06:08 PM   #141
Reds34

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Those tires are in GREAT shape! There aren't any cotton strands showing yet. Awesome photos of everything! Keep up the good work.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:05 PM   #142
drolston

You will need to find a 30's vintage flashlight to snap into the bracket on top of the steering column under the dash.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:58 PM   #143
sugarmaker

Bob C, Floyd, David and Charlie, Reds34, and drolston,
Spent some quality time with the 32 this afternoon as were in the middle of a rinse cycle!
The fuel tank looks to have a brass/ copper turn type shut off.
Met a knew neighbor tonight that pulled in driving a 48 Ford coupe! Very nice. Great to meet some like minded Ford guys!
So on my adventures today I stopped a NAPA and picked up a piece of 2 inch exhaust pipe. It was enlarged on one end for another piece of 2 inch to slide into. I used that end to prototype a flanged end to fit on the "B" exhaust manifold:
Made a "die" from a piece of plywood, with a radius routered in.

on the truck:

Should work just fine for a little while!

The tires / wheels are all at the tire shop. We may not be able to save the tires> Hoping the wheels will be in acceptable shape for new rubber!
I did get a flashlight when I was at Snyder's. I also ordered the seals for the hubs today from them and a zinc additive for the oil. Picked up 5 qts of 30 weight non detergent from NAPA.

Pulled the fuel pump and started cleaning it up. Had a lot of rust inside, under the cover.
Will try to pull the carb and side cover off the valves tomorrow for a look at the valves.

Sure glad you folks approve of the pictures! That is pretty much how I document these types of things.

My other world since retirement looks like this: I get lengthy and very long winded. Just go here when you cant sleep. I think lots of Allis folks do!
https://www.allischalmers.com/FORUM/...pic143835.html

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:23 PM   #144
sugarmaker

Folks,
pictures took a while to load from my phone. I did get some shots of the fuel tank bottom and the gas line. I accidentally broke the fuel line that may not be original going in to the fuel pump, Looks like maybe a special end fitting on that line into the fuel pump??:

Gas tank bottom and valve:

Maybe this is the original outlet? Or is this for the fuel gauge system??

carb:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #145
Bored&Stroked

Hey Chris: You should have the fuel pump rebuilt with a diaphragm that is designed for our modern fuels. Look up Charlie NY here on the barn - he does really good work and will get your pump rebuilt as it should be.

Love your truck and your approach to it. It is in exceptional shape and was obviously not abused and well cared for - kind of rare for trucks like these. So many of them were used and abused over many years - beat up from one end to the other. Really nice find and glad that it is in YOUR hands!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #146
Bored&Stroked

Also, if it was mine, I'd pull the pan and clean out all the old oil and probably the layer of settled sludge that is in it. On every old/sitting car/truck that I've taken apart, there was a big mess in the bottom of the oil-pans . . . you won't get it out by draining the oil.

You really don't want to start it, loosen up some of that old sludge and pump it through the bearings. It is not a hard task and you'll be happy to know that that you'll be starting the ole' girl with a clean blood transfusion.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #147
DavidG

Chris,

There's no grass growing under your feet; your progress is amazing.

The first photo below shows a NOS BB muffler inlet pipe with its deep bend to clear the cross member. Snyder's have a tapered composite copper seal for between the exhaust manifold and the muffler inlet pipe.

The fuel shut off valve is an original as is the tank sending unit for the gas gauge (with the open threaded fitting). The air line that connects to that fitting is long gone as expected from your earlier photos. An inexpensive reprint of the 1932 Service Bulletins will provide you with excellent information on the entire gas gauge system (and lots of other useful information as well).

The flex hose leading into the fuel pump and the tube exiting the pump to the carburetor are both non-original. The second photo shows a NOS flex hose and a accurate reproduction of the original copper-plated steel tube (from Michael Driskell, Third Gen Automotive - 35fordtn on this site). The last photo shows them in place.

Expect to find the same sort of mess in the carburetor float bowl as you encountered in the fuel pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB exhaust pipe.jpg (34.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg P1010270 (2).jpg (29.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg misc. 135.jpg (74.6 KB, 78 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #148
sugarmaker

David, Bored&Stroked, Folks,
Thank you for the pictures and suggestions/ Comments too. The right thing to do would be to pull the engine and do and really good review. I also know how this goes and the time to do it right almost always out weighs the time to to it over. Many lessons learned in life. like this.
Yesterday Jim and I worked most of the afternoon and evening on the 32. Just things that need to be done to get back to a starting point for the truck to function.
The brakes:
New seals (4.00 inch o.d> x 2.875 I.D. x .40 thick lip seals) needed for both sides coming from Snyder's. Here are the ones I took out:

The seal on the left side had been bad for a long time and wore a shallow groove in the axle. it is maybe .010 deep?

I will smooth the edges of that to assure no sharp corners and install the new seals. I believe it will be just fine for another maybe 90 years of very light use. So my great grandson Rhett will be 95 when he tears it apart again!

While the seals were out might as well look at the bearings too.
Two of these bad boys each wheel.

So two or three of the roller bearings had some rust on the rollers. I polished these to remove any rough spots. I know folks may cringe at this, Sorry. But this is not going to the INDY speed way. So sometimes we compromise and do the best we can and move on in life.
This looks worse than it is in person. I tend to share the good and the bad because life gives us both. After these were smoothed, I dont believe it will ever do any damage to the shaft the it rides on. Basically giving it just a little clearance where I removed the surface rust. It is actually good that I found this, as the rust would not have been great on the shaft interface.

All in all I was very pleased with how these bearings looked. They will be packed full and the zerks will be checked for function to add grease after assembly too.
The hub where the bearings and seal reside:

Ok not a great picture but 13 of these brke rod joints were reworked to accept the larger over sized pins (.340 dia) If you havent done this I would recommend it! But it was my first time so I am excited about it. Some of the old pins were very worn and sloppy. I used a 90 degree driver with a hex driven 11/32 drill to get in to the tight areas and drill the actuator parts on the truck that were not going to be removed. It worked great! The rods were all taken off, moved to the wire brush for cleaning the threads, carefully lubed and disassembled. New NAPA fine thread nuts installed. (yes, I know there not the correct ones) But guys, this is going to be a driver too. Not a show truck. Please dont get me wrong I appreciate the leads to the folks that have all the NOS items. I also want to get this functional and back on its wheels within a couple months.

That took the majority of yesterday. Lots of moves! Also testing the front brakes and getting them adjusted since the drums were on. All adjustments are functioning and acts like it will stop good. Final tuning will be needed at some point but we are now prepared to do that with minor effort, as all rod and drum components have been reviewed / repaired tested and approved in a static shop environment. "Steel from the pedal to the Wheel"!

Several other items:
Jim and I planned the moves for the reattachment of the PTO shaft to the hydraulic pump under the dump bed. This meant moving the dump bed back several inches and aligning the square shaft of the PTO as the bed moved forward into the home position. Sounds easy!

We raised the bed a half inch, inserted 4 bolts each corner as rollers, pried the bed back away from the cab, then pushed it forward with a strategically placed porta power, as I aligned the shaft and socket under the truck. It helped to hold your mouth just right for this also!

Just another check box. Will it function?? I don't have a clue? But it wasn't going to, if never hooked up! Lots of greasy, grimy, oil leaking units under this truck too!

While under the truck, spending some quality time on the creeper, I gently pushed up on the floor board and opened up a whole new world!
We found the linkages for the PTO and the hydraulic pump to need attention too. Not surprising. So those came off for some cleaning and will be evaluated for tightening upo worn areas too.
Found the battery box 98% intact. Found the well worn foot pedal pivots.

Some original paint still clings to the steel on these levers:

Well worn lever needs to go to the guys in the fab shop! Those guys get all the fun stuff to do! This is the PTO actuator lever on the side of the tranny.
Goal is to get these servicable tight and back in the truck soon too.

Big thanks to Jim B. from Bugs&Tugs for helping with the 32 all day!

We did take his tug for a ride down the road too! Wasn't all work yesterday! The Model A engine sounds sweet!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-23-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:06 AM   #149
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Chris,

There's no grass growing under your feet; your progress is amazing.

The first photo below shows a NOS BB muffler inlet pipe with its deep bend to clear the cross member. Snyder's have a tapered composite copper seal for between the exhaust manifold and the muffler inlet pipe.

The fuel shut off valve is an original as is the tank sending unit for the gas gauge (with the open threaded fitting). The air line that connects to that fitting is long gone as expected from your earlier photos. An inexpensive reprint of the 1932 Service Bulletins will provide you with excellent information on the entire gas gauge system (and lots of other useful information as well).

The flex hose leading into the fuel pump and the tube exiting the pump to the carburetor are both non-original. The second photo shows a NOS flex hose and a accurate reproduction of the original copper-plated steel tube (from Michael Driskell, Third Gen Automotive - 35fordtn on this site). The last photo shows them in place.

Expect to find the same sort of mess in the carburetor float bowl as you encountered in the fuel pump.
David,
The exhaust that was hanging on the truck did not have the big dip in it. Now it probable was not original because it looked like a flange had been welded on to the manifold end.

Question what is the bracket and rod bolted to the side of the block just below the exhaust pipe to manifold connection? My truck doest have anything bolted on there??
I will need that flex hose so may have to contact Third Gen Automotive. Thanks!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #150
Bob C

Check out Vince's site for pictures of the steady rods, the big trucks don't use them.
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/brearmotormounts.htm
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:50 AM   #151
sugarmaker

Bob,
Thanks! That makes sense. So maybe no one cared if the trucks shook?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #152
DavidG

Chris,

That's right, no steady rods originally, so no brackets for them on the side of the cylinder block. Before anyone asks about your lack of a vibration damper mounted on the firewall and attached to the back of the cylinder block, like the steady rods, the big trucks did not come with one originally.

Good new about your battery box, Chris, as it is the original judging from your photos. They are often badly rusted with most or all of the tray and stone shield portion long gone.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:16 PM   #153
sugarmaker

Folks,
For some reason this just does not want to post correctly tonight?
Anyway I have rim issues. The tire shop got the old tires off but they do not feel comfortable at all in using the lock rings. They feel they have lost there spring or ability to hold their shape.
So If anyone has suggestions as to sources for these lock rings please let me know.
I am planning a trip to Miller tire tomorrow to get the 6.00-20 tires. Sure hope this is the right move and I can find lock rings to put these back together.
One of the original tires cut off the rim:

old tube:
Yea is says Made in Rubber City and is red in color.

This is what I am looking for x 7!

Did get the seals today:

Also got a box of tubes and flaps for 6.00-20 tires.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #154
Reds34

I would use those rims and rings, but I'm probably not as careful as I should be sometimes. I don't usually use chains or a cage to inflate split rim tires.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:50 PM   #155
sugarmaker

Red,
I see one is distorted and looks like it may have been forced a little? Maybe needed some help getting it off at the shop?? They (tire shop) does not like these old lock rings. But can I find something better/ New / used? I really dont want to get new rubber and then not be able to use the tires on these rims!
They said the rims will clean up fine its the darn lock rings that they feel are not retaining their shape/ spring??
Thanks for your input.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-23-2021, 11:06 PM   #156
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds34 View Post
I would use those rims and rings, but I'm probably not as careful as I should be sometimes. I don't usually use chains or a cage to inflate split rim tires.

Red

Hi Red, I'm sure there are plenty of stories out there, about
the DANGER of some of those old style of split rims.

Many years ago, a fellow was airing up an old split rim, and
the story in the paper described, as gentle as they could, that
as he was down airing it up, the outer Ring Exploded off the
wheel, and killed the man instantly.

I heard, from people who were there, that it was Very Very Gory

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:48 PM   #157
GB SISSON

I would also use them.... Where is TruckDog (Stu) when we need him? Oh, and I also LOVE this thread!!!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:02 AM   #158
51504bat

Always as in always either chain the ring to the rim in 2 places or better yet use a cage. Use a clip on inflater chuck with about a 4 foot hose between the chuck and the air valve. If you do buy different rings they must be a correct match for the other part of the wheel. And somewhere in the back of my mind IIRC Model AA/BB wheels were different than later model dually splits and the later ones couldn't be used on the AA/BB's. Of course I could be wrong. Just saying make sure any wheels/rings you buy will be correct. Hope you get the wheel situation sorted. Can't wait to see it on new rubber and ready for the maiden test drive.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:20 AM   #159
sugarmaker

Folks,
Well the tire/ rim thing is new to me. Dont feel all that great about it today! You will have that sometimes on these old pieces. So we will try to go forward. Yes as I try to find some information about these antique lock rings it's apparent that it will not be a easy task. That is one of the reasons I come to these forums. The answer is probably waiting from someone on here.
I have seen many posts from Stu (truckdog) on rims and widowmakers.
Sun is coming up on a new day. Jim from Bugs&Tugs and I will travel today to Waeson OH to the Thrashermans and Allis show probably stop at Millers and look at Firestone tires too.
In hind site. maybe should have had the rims apart first?
Glad GB is liking the thread! Hope I can keep this going too.
Have thought a lot about the engine and starting and all the correct suggestions. The right thing to do would be to pull the engine and give it a really good look.
That my friends will be for another day to discuss.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 06-24-2021, 07:09 AM   #160
KDL

I may have a complete rim and ring or two I'd part with. Let me know if your interested.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote