Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #61
drolston

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

I learned to drive in my grandfathers '32 BB stake body truck. It worked on a farm with no air cleaner. That is probably why it went in for an overhaul about every five years. The brakes were terrible for a skinny 15 year old. Took both feet to slow it down on that hill in the orchard. With a load of fire wood, my grandfather had to back up one hill, maybe because reverse was a lower gear than low gear; maybe to maintain gravity fuel flow to the carb.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #62
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Sugarmaker
There is an ad in the swap meet section right now for a set of "commercial" headlights if you need a pair!!!! 06/08/2021 at 1:35pm est
Rock,
I did attempt to secure those headlights, but as most times a day late and a couple dollars short. Alan was nice enough to get back to me and let me know.

Tomorrow the 32 should be coming home unless something strange happens. I will try to get some pictures. Friend Jim is going to meet me to help sucure the truck and the bed for transport.

Regards,
Chris
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:16 PM   #63
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
I learned to drive in my grandfathers '32 BB stake body truck. It worked on a farm with no air cleaner. That is probably why it went in for an overhaul about every five years. The brakes were terrible for a skinny 15 year old. Took both feet to slow it down on that hill in the orchard. With a load of fire wood, my grandfather had to back up one hill, maybe because reverse was a lower gear than low gear; maybe to maintain gravity fuel flow to the carb.
That is a cool but scary story. Ok So maybe I won't drive it that much!
Regards,
Chris
Old 06-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #64
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post

Didn't '32's have a fuel pump? Or just on the cars, not the big trucks?
Old 06-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #65
DavidG

They ('32s) all had fuel pumps.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #66
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
They ('32s) all had fuel pumps.
Guess I remembered that fuel flow idea from the Model T.
So it was the lower gear needed to get him up the hill with a full load.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #67
Model51

The lever and rod on the shifter is the reverse lockout. Pulling it up towards the gearshift knob allows you to push the shifter to the left and down (not up I think) to engage the reverse gear. You can try this without the engine running. You should be able to make an H pattern for 1-2-3-4 gears and then add the reverse position by pulling the lever up.

You have a nice truck. Virtually all of the 1932 BB trucks came with a 4-cylinder engine.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #68
DavidG

To add to Model51 last sentence, given the relatively late release of the V8 engines for installation in big trucks, of the 74,978 '32 model big trucks produced world wide, only 3,682 were V8 powered.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #69
sugarmaker

Folks,
Good morning! We have been busy here! Summer and a new Ford in the family. Also 49 years ago our oldest son was born. Going to spend some time with him today too!
Back to this old AAB truck, Wow and I in learning mode! Thanks to all for the responses, suggestions and recommendations. Based on other threads on othwer forums, you probably should get some popcorn make your self comfortable and enjoy the ride in this case the FORD ride!
Wednesday June 9 the 32 was loaded and picked up from the garage it had been stored in.
Some pictures have friend Jim and or the previous owner of the dump truck. (Larry). I am the old guy in the orange (thats from another forum).
The 32 sees the light of day for first time in several decades!

We used the 8K Warn winch to gently tug the 32 from its home onto my car hauler.

Larry and his wife and my 32.

Ready for the short journey home to Albion. (about 25 miles)

The ride home was uneventful. The 32 liked it's hair blowing in the breeze!

Not knowing the curb weight it pulled about like one of my heavier Allis tractors at 5000 lbs. I have not looked up specs on weight yet.
Ecpect to have the PA title in 8 weeks. Larry wrote me a receipt for the cost on a book that he found in the truck that must have been from the late 40's! Very cool!
Much more to come just need to load some additional pictures in imgur.

I have been playing with it every chance I can.

By the way the radiator cap rode home in the center console of the 2015 F250 SuperCrew!

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-11-2021, 06:40 AM   #70
sugarmaker

Folks,
I will have these little items, questions and things that I should go do the research on but I am human and will probably ask first rather than do the work. I am lazy some times.
Here is one. So the drivers door handle was some what longer and pointer than the passengers side? Behind the seat we found the one that matches the passenger side (shorter stubbier. Ok which one is correct? I have changed to the stubby one, they match and it seems happy there too. So I could be wrong. I did a google search and did not really get a visual match for either one. I will get some pictures. Or if you have pictures and want to teach me that would be ok too.

This is what we found behind the seat, and I installed on the drivers side door.

We found other goodies too! Along with 16 gallons of mouse nests in the seat bottom

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-11-2021, 06:46 AM   #71
jimTN

Body lines matching on the door and cab, good sign, most doors would be drooping. That color combination is the same as my tudor and would look good repainted as most trucks were red or black.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #72
DavidG

I had noticed that the left side outside door handle had been replaced. What you show in your latest photo is the original version, which you've now reinstalled. If any of your inside handles need replacement, please me know I have some good originals with patina that are yours for the asking.

I'm looking forward to a photo of the right side of your engine compartment.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #73
Bob C

Looks like an original mirror bracket also, take care of it.
If you need chassis parts such as front axle, brakes and transmission
a lot were the same from 1930-34.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:41 AM   #74
Floyd

A good bath, a tune up and a new old seat cover and you are ready for the show circuit!
Congrats.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #75
tubman

I don't care what anyone says; that is in NICE shape!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:11 PM   #76
al's28/33

All those small items, radiator cap, door knobs, window cranks, side and rear mirrors and license plate brackets, rear stop light assembly, take a look and make sure they are secured and by themselves are worth a small fortune! Man oh man what a treasure!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I would be sleeping out in the barn all night with it. WOWEE!!!!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:51 PM   #77
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Body lines matching on the door and cab, good sign, most doors would be drooping. That color combination is the same as my tudor and would look good repainted as most trucks were red or black.
Jim,
Thanks for the notes on the truck. Not being a good judge of these I felt it was pretty good. I have seen a lot of vehicles that I have run away from. This old 32 looked pretty good. And Cheryl likes the color. Which to my eye is a teal (green/ blue).
Most folks that are also not experts think its in pretty good shape.
Regards,
Chris
Old 06-11-2021, 07:54 PM   #78
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I had noticed that the left side outside door handle had been replaced. What you show in your latest photo is the original version, which you've now reinstalled. If any of your inside handles need replacement, please me know I have some good originals with patina that are yours for the asking.

I'm looking forward to a photo of the right side of your engine compartment.
David,
I will get that picture for you! Thanks for the offer on the hardware too. Very generous of you.
You ask about some features on the truck. I will try to get back to all them but if I dont please remind me too. I did look under the visor and it has a brace in the center. I believe that was in reference to when the truck may have actually been assembled.

So it makes me wonder about the guy that owned it. Here is my story.
The door original door handle was damaged or broke. HE went and found the pointed handle that fit and worked . Later found a correct handle and placed it behind the seat for me to put in 80 years later???
The new handle fit and works fine!
Note there is some door damage at theis drivers handle area. Slight push in of the door metal around the handle.

Question. I need door checks (to keep doors from swinging too far). I will research for those.
Regards,
Chris

Last edited by sugarmaker; 06-11-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #79
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Looks like an original mirror bracket also, take care of it.
If you need chassis parts such as front axle, brakes and transmission
a lot were the same from 1930-34.
Bob,
I will try to tuck that away in the old memory bank too.
Regards,
Chris
Old 06-11-2021, 08:09 PM   #80
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
A good bath, a tune up and a new old seat cover and you are ready for the show circuit!
Congrats.
Floyd,
The bath. I am afraid to! It has not seen water in 70 years.
On the seats: The back looks to be original but the bottom is not.
I checked with my local upholstery guy and he said the original material looked like his samples of "truck and Bus seat material.
He had a black and a dark blue material that I liked.
So I will ask a question, and I know everyone has a different view of things. Would a guy get the seats back to some like new condition?? That is what I feel is the thing to do.
So the seat back springs are salvageable. and recoverable. Clean and adde a wooden 1/4 inch backer board to attach and stiffen the springs was the suggestion for the seat shop.
The bottoms he suggested buying reproduction spring sets and he could cover them the same. (split seat) Looked in Snyders and saw some 32 springs I think for $140 each??
So I have this seat base with pretty good springs. Dont think I am going to use it. (Could take it apart and maybe build the split seats but a lot of moneking around and might not be close to being correct.

So what would you do with seating up grade? I dont think its going to cut it for me to use the very worn and very sad wrong bottom seat. If I get this drivable in the future I want my old butt to be comfy!

Regards,
Chris