Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2022, 08:21 PM   #1
highbeams

Default Fire! half-ton pickup

Half-ton pickups without tailpipe run the risk of a bed board smoldering fire directly above the muffler exhaust @ highway-speeds 60+-.

Upon your exit stop, you will be shocked that you're on fire; wafting smoke.

Personal experience 1968 buying a '38 half-ton from a farmer w/o checking tailpipe or no tailpipe. Thank you.

Last edited by highbeams; Yesterday at 02:01 PM. Reason: addition
highbeams is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:11 AM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: Fire! half-ton pickup

Highbeams I prefer to have a complete vehicle fire started in the engine compartment. most likely.

or parking on dry long grass after a day of running.

but respect your thoughts...
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
Bob NH

On my truck the tail pipes were pretty close to the bed wood where they went over the rear end so I made a metal shield with spacers fastened on the bottom to hopefully prevent a smoldering oak bed !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
deuce_roadster

A friend of mine with a Dodge motorhome had a fire the same way, hole in muffler pointing up at wooden floorboards. Lost the whole thing going down the road.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:33 PM   #5
highbeams

Wow; freaky stuff. I, downright flat-out, 'lucked out'; it shoulda gone up in flames. Freaky good stuff happens too. You know, while driving it, I did smell smoke. looking around- hmmm, there's a fire somewhere out here. Kept looking.

You can imagine my being 'freaked out' upon getting into reality. It was really burned in oblong shape.

I posted this incident short & readable.

If interested in the long version, the truck was spotted by my bro. This was an outside-the-'barn find' in a neighboring (Wisconsin) county. Upon arriving, the farmer said that it 'ran but didn't go anywhere'. It was dentless, but apparently painted (silver-gray) over the green w/a barn broom. Quite sad-looking. Price negotiation= $150 beginning at my offer of 135.

Log-chain towed to our farm. My father & I pulled the shifter top to discover no oil in the case, worn into the case considerably. Another freak happenstance, my bro knew a guy w/a '38 sedan @ a farm setting out. My father & I visited that guy, told him our situation. "You can have the trans out of that car for five bucks." We pulled it and put it in the out-of-barn find that afternoon.

Later, during spare time, I pulled the brake cables. The cables and cables housings were rusted as one piece. Required one afternoon of slightly hammering each cable housing on a railroad rail 'anvil', attempting to pull the cable(s) w/a Vice-Grip. hmmm. then vertically hanging the cables and dribbling Liquid Wrench into the cable&housing(s). Then next afternoon, back to the anvil. Repeat as necessary, from each end. Success, but stopping - excuse me, applying brake pedal pressure well in advance of a required stop resulted as a rolling stop.

Hand drill and disk sanding the entire truck. Light gray spray-can primer.

An out-in-the country local painter in his garage shop= compressor spray painting,

I selected 1965 Chev light yellow with black (the orig Volkswagon type) wheels, and '38 style entire-wheel-covered/center-chrome hubcaps, black barrel-nose grill. It looked conservatively sharp!

Sold the truck for $1,500, advising the buyer about the brakes, as he listened to the V8.

It was a good-steering enjoyable truck.

* Upon seeing my first post re pickup tailpipes receiving no responses, I did the second post, same info different caption. I truly wanted pickup owners to be aware & wary.

Pat
Old 09-05-2022, 05:08 PM   #6
highbeams

Tinker -

The bedboards stayed in! after the garden hose 'application'

Pat -
Old 09-05-2022, 05:42 PM   #7
GB SISSON

I also have made a heat shield or two. Just think of the forge blower effect created when racing down the road at 40! Glad your's didn't end in disaster. My first flathead was a 38 PU and it sure steered like a dream. Glad you added your story. How old are you now and when did this out of barn-find take place?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:10 PM   #8
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I also have made a heat shield or two. Just think of the forge blower effect created when racing down the road at 40! Glad your's didn't end in disaster. My first flathead was a 38 PU and it sure steered like a dream. Glad you added your story. How old are you now and when did this out of barn-find take place?
GB Sisson: 75 now. Experiencing the . . . to-the-end of the TP.

The 'incident' was experienced in 1968. Thank you for you interest!

Pat highbeams
Old 09-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #9
highbeams

GB Sisson: 75 now, incident experienced in 1968.

thanks for your interest!

Pat highbeams.

Last edited by highbeams; 09-05-2022 at 09:20 PM. Reason: enjoyment.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:17 PM   #10
highbeams

Pat highbeams
Old 09-05-2022, 09:21 PM   #11
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post

Pat highbeams
Old 09-05-2022, 09:55 PM   #12
GB SISSON

Sounded like a story from back in the 'olden days'. My favorite.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote