Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2021, 08:13 PM   #1121
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

This story was intended to follow story number 1104 on the 08/08/2021. Do read that story prior to this.

The Modern Gas Turbine Propellor Engine.

Following my story on fuel I will also write about the PT6 engine. In addition I figured I’d get a heavy jet pilot to write about the gas turbine engine that he sits behind, well so to speak. They are no longer pure jets for these days for they too run propellors. Except they are called a high bi-pass fan.

It is the PT6-34 that I have spent most time sitting behind. It delivers 750 hp at max output. In the previous story I said they burned 170ltrs an hour but that was cruise not full power. My error. It is 240 with turbine kero and about 8 less with diesel. I don’t remember each variant of engine and it is not necessary because the arcs in the gauge are calibrated with a green arc for normal, yellow for caution or limited time and red for maximum limits.

There are three limits that must not be exceeded. Firstly and most importantly is max temp. and that being 800C. Remember water boiling point is only100c. Secondly max rpm. The turbines run at such high speed that rpm cannot be measured so it runs in percentage of rpm. 100% being 56,000 but it is permitted to run at 104%. Yes, I do have the decimal point in the correct place. The third is max torque with is limited by the gear-box which is a two-stage planetary system and reduces the propellor to 2,200 rpm. Normally a pilot runs the propellor during cruise at 17 or 1,800rpm.
This is how it works. The air comes in the front, turns 3 axial compressors, then a centrifugal compressor. The compressed air enters the fire place where there is a continuous burn. This is followed by this hot air entering another two axial power compressors, one turning the axial compressing the ambient air as it enters the engine and an other providing power to the planetary gear box which reduces the rpm to the propellor. Then the exhaust gases are exhausted, one each side of the engine.

Now since the propellor is of no use at the rear of the engine it, the entire unit is turned around, reversed so the prop is now out the front. So what happens is the air comes in the rear, turns a big wheel and is exhausted out the front.
The engine is popular with pilots because they are easy to start, reliable, light weight (less than 400 Ibs) and do not have a large frontal service to create drag (which spares about 100hp).

I will write further articles on the radial engine, then heavy gas turbines in the A350 and A380. And because this is a Ford Forum and not a Peugeot publication I will get my grandson to write about the engine in the Boeing and that will please my American readers. Besides I prefer Boeing. Reducing power after takeoff and poling forward to level or descend is done by a human hand and not computer. Sudden and unexpected changes (computer driven) in power or attitude make me nervous.

For those who wish to see a more thorough explanation please go to the link below.

http://www.mautone.eng.br/apostilas/...g%20Manual.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 11.07.29.jpg (21.3 KB, 16 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-31-2021 at 08:21 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:35 AM   #1122
woofa.express

This is to follow the story on the PT6 Gas Turbine / Propellor engine and the earlier story on fuel. My son (Moo) wrote it (for the Model A Forum) after departure from Hong Kong and transmitted it to me on arrival Toronto. His Model A is the one featured on my avatar. The picture of the A350 is from the internet.

The Modern Jet engine.

The Rolls-Royce Trent XWB-97 aircraft jet engine, is a powerful high by-pass modern jet engine. Two of these underwing engines, powers the latest Airbus aircraft, the A350-1000. They each can provide up to 97,000lbs of thrust. The engine comprises of 3 compressor turbine assemblies (LP, IP, HP). Each turbine operates it’s associated compressor via a shaft. The Low pressure (LP) compressor is the first stage that you can see, where the air enters the engine intake. This fan compresses the air, with most of it by-passing the engine to provide thrust. A small amount of this compressed air enters the core where it is further compressed by the Intermediate and High Pressure compressors. This high compressed air will then enter the combustion chamber where it is mixed with fuel and ignited. As the air leaves the combustion chamber with this added energy, it is allowed to expand through the turbine stages HP, IP, LP which drives it’s associated compressor. The hot expanding air is returned to the atmosphere, out of back of the engine via the exhaust cone. Each stage of the compressor/turbine, have varying number of smaller compressor/turbine blade stages to optimise the flow of the air through the engine. Some of the engine air flow is bled off to pressurise the aircraft and to mechanically drive components on the accessory gearbox; like supplying the aircraft electrical system.
On the A350, 2 of these Trent XWB-97 engines, provides a maximum take off weight of 316 Tonne (316,000 kg). With the basic weight of a typical A350 being approx 149T, this calculates to a possible payload of 167T. On a recent flight from Hong Kong to Toronto, I took off with 257 people on board and a payload of 54.4T (passengers, baggage, cargo). It had a flying time of 14hrs 27min and flew at M0.85 with an average tailwind component of 59kts, over the 14,630 km journey, averages 1010km/hr, burning 125,280 L of fuel. That equates to a burn of 856L/100km for the payload. This can be further broken down to approximately 3.3 L/100km or 1.57 L/100km/passenger with baggage.

So as you American readers don't feel slighted I'll get an article written by a Boeing pilot on the engines powering a Boeing 737.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 18.22.17.jpg (8.2 KB, 2 views)

Old 09-11-2021, 04:08 AM   #1123
woofa.express

I have no experience on big jet engines but I had always thought that fuel was measured by weight. Moo, in previous story spoke of fuel by volume. I asked him if this was the practise of his airline and his reply is below.

We use weight but your readers will relate to litres.
I converted it using SG 0.78

Old 09-18-2021, 11:46 PM   #1124
woofa.express

I asked my son (Moo) to write on the big jet engines. He did and that was story number 1123. However he tells me that was a flight plan months ago before the world became covid crazy. The last flight he said he carried only 20 to Toronto and then 4 to Bangkok. Another son (Dennis) just returned from Honkers, no passengers either way; freight only and 280 empty seats.
Now for the engine on the Boeing 727, military maritime patrol. (Remember I said I’d better do some facts on an American aeroplane so as not to offend American readers). It has a CMF56 engine, producing 27k lb of thrust with a burn of 6,000 lb per hour (in cruise). Remember I said they have prop blades as well. Well yes, 24 of them except they call them high bypass fans and those bypass fans create some 80% of the thrust.

I’ll conclude next week with a write up on the radial engine. Folks always asked “how does that work”.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-23-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:00 PM   #1125
woofa.express

today trivia, tomorrow radial engines.

Trivia.
Yesterday, 23rd Sept. at the time of writing, was equinox. It’s welcome here because few days have a top temp of less than 20C (68F, I live in southern Australia). My Model A’s are now looking even more attractive. Our wisteria has copious bunches of blue flowers and our deciduous trees have emerging soft green leaves. It’s a wonderful time of year.
One of the two national sporting events will have the attention of most of the nation tomorrow. It’s Australian Football League commonly known as AFL. It’s a derivative of Gaelic football, derived from the country from which many of our immigrates came in search of a better life.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-23-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #1126
Jim Brierley

woofa, and I thought turning the Mazda rotary 10,500 RPM thru the timing lights, 195 MPH was a lot! I sold my IHC model A a few months ago, along with a bunch of other projects that I finally realized I would never get to. The place does look a little cleaner, and the wife is happy! Now if I only had good stamina!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #1127
woofa.express

Hello to my good friend Jim Brierley.
I always enjoy hearing from you and reading your contributions. Thankyou. Likewise your book “Four Bangers”.
When I was a child and indeed my youth my parents developed a farm and as a family; times for us were difficult. However they were not as difficult as you described yours in Four Bangers. I’m sure these circumstances developed character and resourcefulness in all of us who experienced such hardship.
And thankyou again, gary.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-24-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #1128
woofa.express

The radial engine.

I’m within my comfort zone here with this one but it is 25 years since I flew one. The two I flew most were the Pratt and Whitney Wasp 1340 cubic inch which delivers 600hp and the Wasp junior, 985 cubic inch which delivers 450hp. I remember it all including every farmer asking me “how does this work?” I have been down several times in radials including when I had a master rod failure and the engine trashed itself. The master rod is at cylinder number 5, counting from the top in an anti-clockwise direction, viewed from the front. I was 8 foot off the ground and all ground around was contoured. I had nowhere to go and badly damaged the aeroplane.
All radial engines must be an odd number of cylinders, well each bank must be anyway. This allows each cylinder to complete each of it’s 4 cycles. Goes like this. I’ll make an example by using the power stroke. 1 3 5 7 9 2 4 6 8 1 3 5 7 9 2 4 etc etc. follow them around with your finger. You will notice the change in order of the cylinders the second time around.

The cam is a ring of about 12 inches in diameter. Both the R985 and R1340 has gear teeth on the inside of the ring and of course the lobs on the outer. The cylinder is steel and the head aluminium screwed on prior to the drilling of the cylinder stud holes. The cylinder in the picture has been unscrewed since manufacture. The stud holes in the cylinder base tell me that. There is only one crank journal. There is a supercharger in the picture. Piston engines have a centrifugal blower and jets have axial compressors. The PT6 have both. Note the collector oil sump (it’s a dry sump) is between cylinder numbers 5 and 6. You can see it. This oil is pumped back to the reservoir which is an airframe component. Notice the Pratt and Whitney badge on the sump. Engineers steal that on engine changes when removing it for overhaul. The push rod covers (the tubes) in the engine illustrated above are chromed. This massages the owners ego. Some times the rocker hats are too.
For those inquisitive people you will find plenty of information on Youtube. I couldn’t see any schematic diagrams. I would think there are some senior aeroplane engine mechanics in this forum who may like to add to this. Likewise current or former jet engine mechanics or pilots.
Hope you enjoyed reading that.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 09-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #1129
woofa.express

A national hero. Aged 9. Year 1932.
This story has only a few fleeting words of a Model A but is written for both the A forum readers and others who also receive my stories.
Lennie was a national hero and still remains so. Even those who do not live in Australia will be absorbed and enthralled by this story. It takes nearly an hour and both interviewer and interviewee speak well. A picture taken at the time and statue that was recently made.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/program...r-rpt/10426046
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 12.12.01.jpg (15.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 12.12.25.jpg (20.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-28-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:59 PM   #1130
woofa.express

It's for our Pleasure

For some of us work is a pleasure and what we do in our leisure is also be for our pleasure. Rewarding when we may have developed something or repaired something or given help or comfort to someone else. Both my wife Patsy and I spend time helping the oldies. Spend time listening to music composed in the 20’s, 30’s, 40's and spend time doting on my A’s, even if it is simply looking and admiring. We also admire our very old eucalypt trees (gum trees), 10 in all. Some are more than two centuries old. Plus the deciduous (18 in all) and flowering trees (10) and the numerous shrubs and flower gardens we have planted in our yard. with a predominance of agapanthus and large white bright daisies. Yes, it’s a lot of work but how else could we spend our time and enjoy doing so.
The wisteria vine is now out in spring flower so I parked Olive beside and took a couple of shots. I’m sure wisteria is grown all around the world and I guess many readers would get pleasure from this flowering vine. For those that don’t you may enjoy this shot. And one of a majestic old gum tree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1562.jpg (110.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1572.jpg (81.7 KB, 9 views)

Old 09-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #1131
Los_Control

My Uncle had a girlfriend in school. He often would skip school and take the girlfriend for a ride in the model A.
In fact he never finished high school, while his wife did.

He would pick up his girl and go cruising during school hours. Skipping school.
That was in his model A he paid $5 or $20 for.He had a few.

Last wedding anniversary was the 50th. She passed away after that, then Uncle a few years later.

I appreciate him sharing the memories with me ... not the same as living them.
Los_Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #1132
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los_Control View Post
My Uncle had a girlfriend in school. He often would skip school and take the girlfriend for a ride in the model A.
In fact he never finished high school, while his wife did.

He would pick up his girl and go cruising during school hours. Skipping school.
That was in his model A he paid $5 or $20 for.He had a few.

Last wedding anniversary was the 50th. She passed away after that, then Uncle a few years later.

I appreciate him sharing the memories with me ... not the same as living them.

Were you lucky enough to inherit his A?

Old 10-04-2021, 01:26 AM   #1133
woofa.express

I just longed for a bicycle.

Every kid at school had a bicycle, or so it seemed. The school bike racks were always full and I looked over them with some envy. I had a horse, but no saddle- I always took the animal to a fence or gate to climb then mount. The horse, named Pat was necessary for the stock work I helped with on our farm. Now more than 60 years have passed and I have, of course bought one. My very own bike.
When I drop our garden waste off at the local tip I check out the steel waste area and much to my wife’s protest I bring home what my wife calls trash. And of course, one mans trash is another’s treasure. With this newly acquired resource I have built a number of outdoor tables and bench seats and a small shed. It’s all most handy and I enjoy making it. Just hate to see waste.
Now back to bicycles. There is sometimes up to 50 in this trash heap. When all this trash is removed for recycle but it doesn’t take long for the bicycles and waste to build up again. I remember a Rotary Club auction. Bicycles weren’t selling so they were bundled into lots of six and still difficult to sell and making little money. This change from my childhood: Affluence. Squander and extravagance.
I made sure all my kids had cycles, starting with chain driven three wheelers prior to bicycles. I had made a rack for them to park; they weren’t permitted to drop them on the ground. When they bought motorcars I insisted, like their bikes, they be put in the shed when parked.
And as a footnote, not related to the above story, I bought my kids their first motorcar. Not new, nor upmarket and quite well used. This was to help them get a start. My second, son, we call Moo, now aged 49, has been working in Hong Kong for the last 24 years and hasn’t needed one, nor permitted to have one. He is however permitted a golf buggy and because there is a strict maximum number permitted on the island where he lives, the cost is $400,000 each- that is for the licence to hold a number plate. He choose to use public transport and has saved a small fortune. I think you can delete the word small from that last sentence. They consume money as fast as council rates.
Attached Images
File Type: png images.png (10.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png images-1.png (8.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-04-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #1134
Jim Brierley

Regarding post #7 about radial engines: All radials do have an odd number of cylinders, and an even number of lobes on their cams! And their cams aren't cam shafts! Just another fact that bounces around in my otherwise empty head.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #1135
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Regarding post #7 about radial engines: All radials do have an odd number of cylinders, and an even number of lobes on their cams! And their cams aren't cam shafts! Just another fact that bounces around in my otherwise empty head.

I've always called it a cam shaft without thinking. You are quite correct Jim and I have no problems with being corrected.
And an even number of lobes. I've never counted them but yes but I've just used my fingers to check this out and yes there is.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #1136
woofa.express

Here is a radial engine cam. I see they call the shaft that drives it a camshaft. Not to confuse the question the cam is a ring and the shaft rotates this ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 12.58.32.jpg (13.4 KB, 11 views)

Old 10-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #1137
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
I just longed for a bicycle.

Every kid at school had a bicycle, or so it seemed. The school bike racks were always full and I looked over them with some envy. I had a horse, but no saddle- I always took the animal to a fence or gate to climb then mount. The horse, named Pat was necessary for the stock work I helped with on our farm. Now more than 60 years have passed and I have, of course bought one. My very own bike.
This change from my childhood: Affluence. Squander and extravagance.

"Affluence. Squander and extravagance." Isn't that a fact! But I sometimes wonder if that isn't a necessary by-product of technology, needed to keep people employed, thus feeding their families. Before cars like the Model A made long distance travel easy and affordable, many people were needed to keep the horses and buggies moving: saddle makers, leather tanners, farmers, wheelwrights, whip makers, livery stables, and many more. These workers all provided something necessary to just keep society moving and functioning. Now we have cars, trucks, trains and planes and far fewer workers needed to provide what is needed to keep society moving. Squandering and affluence are what now drive the economy and provide jobs.
Take, for example, your career in "crop dusting". Before the airplane, weeds were controlled by men with hoes or horses pulling a small cultivator. Now you do in a few minutes what formerly took weeks. So you and your small crew have replaced dozens of men who would be jobless if it weren't for boats, golf carts, golf clubs, TV's, video games, etc., etc.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:12 AM   #1138
Jim Brierley

woofa, thanks for posting the picture. I've always wondered why they did their cams like that, just another mystery of life I guess. I wasn't correcting you, just adding info.

BTW, the proper pronunciation of the gum tree is " you-calla-pedus". I know this is right because my dad told me that many years ago. :-)
Old 10-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #1139
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
woofa, thanks for posting the picture. I've always wondered why they did their cams like that, just another mystery of life I guess. I wasn't correcting you, just adding info.

BTW, the proper pronunciation of the gum tree is " you-calla-pedus". I know this is right because my dad told me that many years ago. :-)
Hello Jim.
I don’t mind if people correct me, and I do understand it wasn’t an endeavour you intended. I always welcome your inputs and enjoy reading your contributions.
But after saying that please let me correct you and I’m not trying to be a know-all. The correct way to say gum tree is gum tree. The species is eucalyptus and correct way to pronounce that is you-ka-lip-tis. The picture is from the internet and these gums are growing in part of the country that receives little rainfall. The creature pictured is a Koala commonly called a Koala bear and lives on the leaves of just a few species of gum trees. We have them here where I live. They are not particularly thick on the ground. We get visits from them, in particular and old bull koala. They grunt and sound not dissimilar to a pig.

And for 40 Deluxe I welcome your input as well. A response to you is only partly complete and I’ll complete it and post it in a couple of days.
Cheers, gary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (15.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (9.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-08-2021 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #1140
woofa.express

Hello Allan otherwise known as 40 Deluxe.
Yes, control of insects, weeds, fungus and rodents are now protected by pesticides. These products allow the crop, whether food or fibre to produce to their full potential depending on soil moister of course. Yes, they make weed hoers redundant and out of work but there are no such jobs as insect catchers or mouse catchers or fungus killers. I do feel you are making light and jest of my profession but I take no offence.
Do let me make an example. If Ireland had fungicides and aeroplanes back in the 1840’s they would have saved their potato crop and thus countless lives. (Wikipedia say more than 1 million died). In the future neither fungicides or aeroplanes may not be necessary because of the development of genetic modification making the spud resistant to fungus. And of course this potato famine led to mass migration to both your country and mine.
As for tools of entertainment, ( you mention boats, golf carts, golf clubs TV, video games etc). I have no problem with those either for those retired, or work or those who cannot work. I do have a problem with those who choose not to work but live off welfare, which I feel is grossly abused.
Keep writing 40 Deluxe, I always enjoy reading your contributions. Cheers, gary.