Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default The Good, the bad, but no ugly

After over a year & new Pistons rings & rod bearings I fired up the Refreshed 8BA in my ‘35! The good news is I primed the carb & she Immediately fired up & sounded great for about 5 seconds. Figured it’d take a couple primes to get the fuel from the filled tank so proceeded about 4 or 5 primes. Each time sound great but ‘The Bad’ no fuel never showed up in the fuel bowl? Used same fuel pump rod, same gasket, fuel pump only had couple thousand miles on it. Newish gas tank, used Gas Stabilizer in tank & ran engine before removing to insure gas with Staybill went in gas line. Ideas? Should I try priming the glass bowl? Are fuel pumps sensitive after running to being unused for a year plus?
Old 04-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: The Good, the bad, but no ugly

You mentioned "newish" gas tank.....ARE ALL of the line ends tight from the tank to the firewall to the rubber hose to the fuel pump, IF any of those are sucking ANY air your dead in the water, next have you pulled your pump from the car and bench tested to see IF you have suction?
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:47 PM   #3
Ross F-1

Check all the hoses leading from the tank to the pump. Gas fumes seem to eat up rubber more than actual gas. FP diaphragms too.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:58 PM   #4
tubman

Also, you mentioned you have a fuel pump with a glass bowl. I have found that the gasket on these can leak causing the pump to suck air. Make sure that is not the case, and if necessary, replace the bowl gasket. Curiously, I have found that the cork gaskets seal better than the neoprene ones.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
AnthonyG

Copper line hard plumped with fittings & checked were tight from tank to fire wall. Rubber soft & flexible from there to pump. Since new tank no ethanol fuel. Fuel bowl was cloudy so I did take off and clean, while pulling to do bench test on pump I’ll check the gasket for the glass bowl. Sounds hard to believe but in 55 years of working on my cars never had a gas pump issue, so how to bench test? Hold in vice & Connect to vacuum gauge & use fuel pump rod to actuate manually?
Old 04-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
cas3

I've had the rubber line to the pump crack when only a year or two old. looked and felt fine, but sucking air
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I would be careful checking it inside with gas. You need to move the actuate manually to see if it will move fuel.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

Good question. and why would you "bench test" a fuel pump? Just disconnect the outlet line and turn the engine over a few times and see if gas spirts out.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #9
Will D

If your pump tests good, I've found filling the glass bowl with fuel will help it prime quicker.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:47 PM   #10
AnthonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
If your pump tests good, I've found filling the glass bowl with fuel will help it prime quicker.
Cranked quite a few times after it ran when primed. Turned off ignition while cranking & watched the glass bowl & no gas getting into it. Kinda the same as disconnecting line from pump right? I did remove the line after in prep to remove pump & no gas not even a gas odor. Pretty sure after this thread so far it’s either sucking air at the bowl gasket as I removed bowl to clean it so Probly disturbed the gasket as others said?
Old 04-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Pretty sure after this thread so far it’s either sucking air at the bowl gasket as I removed bowl to clean it so Probly disturbed the gasket as others said?
Sounds like a good place to start.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:55 PM   #12
Will D

Semi related side note. I've used both cork and rubber glass bowl gaskets. One time when I removed a new rubber gasket, I set it in a jar of gas, thinking to keep it from drying out and shrinking. It ended up swelling to almost twice its normal size!
Old 04-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #13
Jack E/NJ

>>>when I removed a new rubber gasket, I set it in a jar of gas, thinking to keep it from drying out and shrinking. It ended up swelling to almost twice its normal size!>>>

Silicone rubber swells bigtime with gasoline. Helps make the seal. Let it set out in the sun to evaporate the gasoline and it returns to normal size. Essentially the same silicone rubber as used on the color-coded rings on Target pill bottles. The large size Target pill rings fit and work perfectly to seal most glass gasoline bowls. Jack E/NJ

Attached Images
File Type: jpg targetpillring.jpg (260.3 KB, 255 views)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:25 PM   #14
drolston

Long shot. If the rebuild included cam bearings, it is possible that the rear cam bearing went in a little too far and blocked the fuel pump push rod from engaging the cam. Easy check: crank the engine with the fuel pump removed and see if the push rod moves up an down about 0.2".

If the bearing is blocking only a little of the pushrod hole, you can grind down the diameter of the push rod at the cam end enough to pass by the bearing. Easier than pulling the engine to bump the cam bearing into position.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #15
jimvette59

Did you choke the begesus out of it ?
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #16
AnthonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
Did you choke the begesus out of it ?
Yep!
I’ve removed the pump at the stand so I could check that the fuel pump push rod works with cam ok, I was 99% sure but as Drolston mentioned it & the back of my motor is pretty busy, it was an easier removal anyway. Fuel rod cam operation works fine.
Fuel pump to bowl gasket was messed up. As the rear of my 8BA is pretty busy anyway & the glass bowl makes it worse, I really don’t want the bowl there. Is there a fuel pump that will fit without any bowl?