Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
51woodie

Default Where Do Parts Come From

Just as a point of interest, I have bought parts from some of the usual suppliers, BD, DC, Mac's, and had no idea where they were made, unless it was shown in their catalogs. I recently bought parts from Summit Racing for my '46, and attached to the invoice was a document showing the point of origin.

Headlight and light bulbs: China.
Turn signal flasher: Taiwan.
C4 oil filter and G17 inline fuel filter, USA.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Where Do Parts Come From

I am nearly 100% certain that all of Drake's stuff comes from China. If not all, surely the majority of it. Bob? What say you?
Carpenter still makes a lot of what he sells in his factory (North Carolina).
Old 11-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
34pickup

I figure if it turns out to be a POS or doesn't fit, or cheap material then its made in China.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Charlie ny
BANNED

Stay with reliable vendors, I like VanPelt. When you deal with VP you talk to Mac himself not a counter guy who swears this is the first time 'this' problem has ever occurred.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
RKS.PA

Second Charlie's comment above re Mac VP. Got a fuel pump kit from Mac yesterday (APCO). Everything went together beautifully and new parts fit perfectly. Also, MacVP's electrical parts are first rate...as well as everything else I've gotten from him and Shelly.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
I figure if it turns out to be a POS or doesn't fit, or cheap material then its made in China.
Just remember that China can build anything we used to be able to build. If it's a POS, then the company that contracted that part accepted the (lack of) quality and subsequently sold the POS to you.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
flatheadmurre

Another thing is that China has a zillion traders that buy and sell to the rest of the world...and they make their profit from selling the cheapest part for the highest price.
A lot of people that canīt speak chinese is in the claws of thoose people to...
They arenīt cheaper when it comes to low series high quality...we manufacture and sell engine parts back to Asia...for big diesels...where each part is made to order from the sizes in the engine log book.
They are unbeatable when it comes to high volumes labour intense stuff due to the fact that labour cost is a fraction of ours.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
mhsprecher

Kube and flatheadmurre are right on the money. You spec, pay and QA a good part, you get a good part. If you don't, you don't.

Another factor may be quantity produced. If you are making millions of iPhones, that is good business, as long as you can replace your workers who commit suicide (Foxconn). For our suppliers who don't buy a lot, they probably don't have the buying clout to get the best manufacturers. It might even be that when they go to suppliers for a few thousand parts, they may never get a call back. It is just not worth it to them, I suspect.

It would be great to have one of the suppliers address the group at a national meet about how they source their parts and why things are the way they are? Maybe they wouldn't want to do it?

Last edited by mhsprecher; 11-18-2018 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Expand my comments.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
Lawrie

you are right, my mate has a manufacturing facility in China, he is on top of the quality issues and they make good stuff,
But it is so sad to see our manufacturing go over there
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #10
Tinker

Parts to order and ordered manufacturing. Sometimes its how it's produced, sometimes its how it made, and with what. Some times it works out. Sometimes it doesn't.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:09 AM   #11
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Just remember that China can build anything we used to be able to build. If it's a POS, then the company that contracted that part accepted the (lack of) quality and subsequently sold the POS to you.
Kube Spot on.

We are never going to get anywhere until we accept that we are driving the POS market by demanding low prices . It is not China's fault that we are not prepared to pay for the quality that they can and will produce. The only reason that there are not as many US companies producing parts is that we have made it uneconomic for them to do so- Most of us brought the cheaper inferior part and they went out of business.

IMHO we either pay more or accept what we can get. No matter how much we gripe and blame China it isn't their fault !
Old 11-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #12
mfirth

I seem to remember reading that Dennis Carpenter makes some of their stuff & get some things from U S A venders. Never had a problem with any of their products. m
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #13
corvette8n

While I was at a Toyota dealership getting my wife's car aligned, to kill time I was looking at aTacoma, it had a sticker on the window of where it's parts came from, in bold letters it said transmission parts sourced from Thailand.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #14
big job

Whats POS mean preventive owners society?

I am not from this century LOL
big job is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

POS may mean.....

Produced Over Seas

Product Outta Spec

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #16
RKS.PA

Slightly off the topic of parts, but I've noticed that tools made in Taiwan vs. China seem to be better made. Like our Ford parts, suppose the specs, inspection, and cost reflect the comments above.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #17
51woodie

Living in Canada, I try to get anything I buy made here, and don't mind paying a premium. Pretty slim picking to say the least. My next go to is, Made in USA. More selection there. What I hate is the "shuck and jive" some manufacturers use to suck you in. I was looking at buying a new compressor the other day, and it had a nice US flag on one of the labels, with the wording something to the effect; Assembled in USA from components sourced offshore. I didn't read the fine print at the bottom of the label, but it probably read, "Printed in China
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #18
mfirth

Kinda like N ever A ny P arts A vailable ......lol
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #19
RalphM

Or Need Another Part Again!

51 Woodie,
Yes I also loath the twisted wording to make you think your getting something your not! There is actually a parts distributor here that puts a sticker with the American flag on thier starters that says “sold by Alaskans”. Really?
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #20
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
Living in Canada, I try to get anything I buy made here, and don't mind paying a premium. Pretty slim picking to say the least. My next go to is, Made in USA. More selection there. What I hate is the "shuck and jive" some manufacturers use to suck you in. I was looking at buying a new compressor the other day, and it had a nice US flag on one of the labels, with the wording something to the effect; Assembled in USA from components sourced offshore. I didn't read the fine print at the bottom of the label, but it probably read, "Printed in China

Many years ago when Japanese goods were hard to sell . Being thought to be junk (and also probably for many consumers they still remembered the war) the Japanese built an industrial city called USA. All goods it produced were stamped "Made in USA " Innovative -Karl