Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
MSmelcer40

Default New 1940 Truck project: engine rebuild

My truck has a 1949 8BA Flathead.Im from Monterey Tennessee and looking for a somewhat local engine shop to rebuild it.its complete minus the Generator and Fan.I don't know where they went but they've gone missing.whats a good price for a bone stock rebuild?
MSmelcer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: New 1940 Truck project: engine rebuild

First of all, you have to make sure you have a good crack-free block. The first thing you have to do is get the engine disassembled and have the block checked for cracks, wear, and general condition. If you don't have a good block, it greatly complicates the process. If the block is good, then the crankshaft and rods should be checked to see if they are usable. From then on, it's up to you as to what parts you want to use and the shop you use.

The last engine I did started from with a good crack-free block, and a crank and rods that could be reconditioned. The local (well, 25 miles away) NAPA has a machine shop run by a guy with a lot of experience in 8N and 9N Ford tractors. Although he had never done a flathead, he was very experienced with these types of engines. I had him build the engine on a "fill-in" basis and it took almost a year, but when it was done I had a good short block for $2100 total. I supplied the Isky cam and lifters, the pistons, and an aluminum cam gear for the project. He turned the crank to .010" under, reconditioned the rods, bored it .125", and did the assembly. I also had it balanced. To be clear, the cam and lifters were not included in the $2100, but everything else was. I picked up the completed short block, and added the oil pan, heads, intake and ignition. After I painted it and added the rest of the accessories, it fired right up and ran great. The only problem was oil pressure was a bit lower than I was used to. I immediately suspected the Speedway Motors oil pump I had installed. I eventually ended up replacing that with a good used Ford oil pump, tested by our own "flatjack9", which brought the oil pressure back to where I was used to seeing it.

All in all it all worked out well. I ended up spending more than I would have had to with the aftermarket cam, heads, intake system, and Mallory dual point.

I think it was worth it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the missing generator and fan. The 8BA parts probably won't work in the '40, so you would have to replace them in any case.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
MSmelcer40

Default Re: New 1940 Truck project: engine rebuild

Tubman,Turman, for the insight. I'm not sure what to do .I have a quote for $3k if all goes well with no cracks.Im not sure why the truck was parked back in 1969 for some reason. It had the first spark plug missing so I'm assuming its stuck.The truck is still in Utah I'm waiting for delivery. The good news is the engine is complete, still hooked up to the 6v battery just as it was when parked.Its going to be fun for sure.I can't wait to get it home
MSmelcer40 is offline   Reply With Quote