Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #41
Newc

Default Re: Trophies pros and cons

Great thread; Race trophies yes.. Outdoor shows no... and that takes care of those 'Power Parkers'. I'd rather be given a meal or BarBE Que. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #42
Jason in TX

At a local hotrod show here, the various car clubs make an "our club pick" trophy. The maker of the trophy gets to pick their favorite car and give a piece of art or a goodie to their favorite car. It's more original, is more interesting than the generic plastic trophy or plaque, and you don't have voting ballets floating around.

Get a few local organizations to donate something, and invite them to come and talk about their organization and give away a coupon for a pizza or something. This gets your community businesses involved in the show as supporters and the business gets something back in advertising to a crowd.

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #43
jimalabam

One very recent show in my area charged $25 to enter, simple economics - U Pay $25, you get a $7. piece of plastic maybe... At this same show a 2017 car days old, won the Best Interior Trophy. Go figger...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #44
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/Alabam View Post
One very recent show in my area charged $25 to enter, simple economics - U Pay $25, you get a $7. piece of plastic maybe... At this same show a 2017 car days old, won the Best Interior Trophy. Go figger...
I'll bet if you would have sprayed the inside of your car with "New car smell" you could have gave him a run for his money!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #45
G.M.

What do you do with a bunch of old trophies? After a while your grand
kids don't even want them. You also run out of places to put them. I
now only keep the ones from National shows. G.M.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #46
tomkowal

i would rather go to any show without trophies than one with them
tomkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #47
Bored&Stroked

I took my old 32 Cab HotRod to a new show during the Winter - was an excuse to take the car out of 'winter mothballs', etc.. I only went to the show on Saturday and spent the whole day putting kids in my car --> letting them "drive it", putting them in the rumble seat, etc.. To see the smiles on all these little faces made me happy. In my mind, I kept thinking that "maybe just one fun experience" at their young ages - might make them want to get into something related to design, engineering, automobiles, aircraft, etc.. While I won a "1st place plaque" (as there were 2 cars in my class -- seemed like everybody got a trophy. LOL) - the real value to me was the kids . . .

I'm not sure I'll do it again - while I like looking at show cars, I'm not really a guy that wants to build 'museum pieces' . . . it seems somewhat of a sin to not drive a car and enjoy it. Now, if I could give kids rides in an old HotRod . . . in a safe location, that would be cool!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:32 AM   #48
Scott H in Wheaton

Midwest Street Rod Association has a show called "Gears And Ears".
You pay a fee to bring in your car and in exchange you get a goodie bag, an event t-shirt, and a wristband that entitles you to free roasted ears of corn and free pop all day.
The "trophies" are all hand-made by club members and issued by club members. Each trophy is unique and most of them have a humorous side. Like a wooden plaque with a mason jar full of nuts attached to it and the caption "Are You Nuts"...given to the most outrageous car.
Another trophy for "Work in Progress", Best Lead Sled, etc etc.

"Every year close to 100 trophies, hand crafted by our members, are awarded to lucky participants. There’s no judging, no points, the vehicles are selected just because they are cool."

http://www.msraofil.org/

Its a really fun event I try to attend every year. Held at the Kendall County Fairgrounds in Yorkville, IL...about an hour or so southwest of Chicago.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #49
modeleh

I'm not a proponent for car show trophies either. You feel like the outrageous entry fees incurred by average joe car guy is being used to subsidize the trophy hunters.
I rarely enter car shows due to the principal of having to pay to park. If the money collected were to raise money for trades programs in local schools then I wouldn't miss a show. There's rarely any justification to the entry fee at most of these shows. Yes I understand there are rental and insurance costs to put on shows, but the car owners seem to bear the majority of the costs while the spectators leave their wallets in their pockets.
To appease the trophy hunters, perhaps choose a half dozen "winners" to have their cars featured on next years advertising posters.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #50
Ray in La Mesa

My '28 A roadster pickup is a beater with many subtle modifications that people enjoy discovering. I won't pay to display it and the trophies I enjoy are the smiles on peoples faces when they see it.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #51
TonyM

I don't do many local car shows cruise nights. It is just not my thing. My brother goes to two or three a week, I go to maybe two or three for a summer.

The car show that I like is the annual event held by a local church:

The Bethel Christian Reform Church Car Rally and Taco Dinner

No Trophies, No fee to park. And the church gives all who show up in an antique / collector car or truck a free taco dinner.

Wary of being stuck next to a Blown Cuda, I try and park by the Model A guys.

The show is right across the street from the historic Lansing-FordMoCo Airport, Lansing, Illinois.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13412220_821621991306973_7206878409504638582_o.jpg (71.9 KB, 20 views)
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #52
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/Alabam View Post
... At this same show a 2017 car days old, won the Best Interior Trophy. Go figger...
I just don't understand the mentality of guys who bring a brand new (or even 5 yr old) car to these shows. I can go to the dealer's and he'll even let me drive the same car. FREE!

The epitome of "I wrote a check" car owners, IMO.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #53
TagMan

Shows & trophies are probably the least interesting aspect of the old car hobby to me. I'd MUCH rather be wrenching on them or touring in them. I certainly don't need any more "stuff" gathering dust. Any show I do attend with my old cars (usually for the parking convenience), I always put a 'Do Not Judge' sign in the window.

Trophies? Just a way for a check book restorer to try to justify the enormous amount of money spent having someone else do all the work, IMHO.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #54
Paul Dobbin

53 votes so far, and none for cheap trophies. That should answer the original posters question. And if the club overrides it, the next best bet is Host Club Picks and the # is only limited by the number of homemade trophies the host group can scrounge up.
Our club went through all those stages and ended up having an old car picnic in the historical park with 3 awards. A picnic on a blanket or the running board is a thing of the past, easy to enjoy. We had "Best Picnic", "Best Dressed (Period outfits for your car) and "Spirit of the Event". We got 160 cars, all pre-1960 stock antiques and had a good picnic and a fun time. We did it on Easter Saturday and had a Easter Bonnet Parade and a Fashion Show too. Even the usual trophy hounds & their wives came and enjoyed themselves.
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #55
dino

70yrs old many moons & plenty of cars & never got a trophy in my life. Sour grapes? I think not! Proud of my fleet? You betcha! Only have myself to please.
dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #56
saltracer

try this again, I like this trophy, although RonnieRoadster has now bumped the record up 65 mph to 195 and change.

Last edited by saltracer; 04-18-2017 at 06:54 PM.
saltracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #57
Dodge

I'm with post #39. I've gotten a few trophies over the years and thats enough, one for
oldest car at one event and another preservation award. I also got one, one time for
car with the most outdated registration, that was a fun one.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #58
gajeepguy

Judging and trophies are the best way to pi** off people especially with the poor quality of judging that goes on at some shows. The only award and plaque that I've won lately was the "best rusty truck" award for my '32 pickup and I drove it 70 miles to that show. The fun is in driving them. Just my 2 cents worth.
gajeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #59
Capt Kirk

I didn't read this whole thread but can post my experience. Fairbanks has a pretty limited show scene and I would take the 35 and the 56 Chevy truck to the Carlson Center for the yearly show. I was also in the Vernon Nash club for awhile. I got a couple trophy's and a plaque for my cars. I felt honored to get those but the shows also welcomed dealerships and individuals that took new cars and bolted on a bunch of aftermarket crap. They would win people's choices awards all the time. There was one show I went to that had a very early Ford....not sure what it was but it was mostly wood and the workmanship and effort to restore that vehicle was amazing. It was a work of art. The Vipers and low riders were winning awards and I don't think this old Ford won a thing. My car was there and I voted for that old Ford.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote