Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2015, 10:55 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
As has often been said, anything is better than Henry used 85 years ago ! Wayne
Hear hear!! Use whatever brand you want, as long as it is the correct weight and is made for vehicles it will work for you in your A.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #22
Terry, NJ

Let me explain something! Many years ago, a man named Fred Bersworth (I knew the family) came up with the formula for Ethamine, Diamine, Tetracetic acid. This is the formula for all detergents. The purpose of a detergent is TO HOLD STUFF IN SUSPENSION! It is not a Solvent! It will not dissolve sludge. The product being used with the detergent may contain solvent or naturally dissolve some of the sludge, but it's not the detergent. Flush the detergent oil out with the crap held in suspension and it's bye bye crap. And thats my story and I'm sticking to it! Other than that, I know nothing about chemistry. Google FC Bersworth,Chemical or EDTA,Chelates
Terry

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 07-10-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #23
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Can't explain why, but Model A's sure do like Rotella.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #24
joesantos

Hi all,

I recently bought a 29 model a truck it came equipped with an oil pressure gauge. If I run less than 5 1/2 quarts in the pan it runs 0 oil pressure when tacking off and stopping. With 5 and half quarts of oil it doesn't happen. When it warms up pressure drops to 0 at stop lights. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
joesantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #25
J Witt

Those who use oil intended for diesels might like the information in this article:

http://http://www.machinerylubricati...l-engine-oils-

Modern oils and modern engines are different than those in Henry's day, of course. We do some stuff to "upgrade" A engines, like insert bearings, but a lot of the old design features and materials will remain.

This is an interesting article with a short history of the development of lubricating oils, starting back in the early days of the steam era.

http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

Warning: a lot of the nomenclature in the standards is really confusing.

John
Old 07-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #26
marc hildebrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesantos View Post
Hi all,

I recently bought a 29 model a truck it came equipped with an oil pressure gauge. If I run less than 5 1/2 quarts in the pan it runs 0 oil pressure when tacking off and stopping. With 5 and half quarts of oil it doesn't happen. When it warms up pressure drops to 0 at stop lights. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe,

Gauge pressure shouldn't be used on a Model A as you would on a modern car. The Model A oiling system is very different than a pressure oil system.

Search the forum for info. My oil pressure gauge isn't really too useful.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #27
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
... My oil pressure gauge isn't really too useful.
Probably just about as useful as mine. I have yet to run a line to it to hook it up. It just sits there.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #28
Terry, NJ

The Oil Pressure gauge in my Ford 8n tractor was only slightly more useful. The O.P. went from 40+ lbs cold to under 5 lbs hot. Boy was that scary the first time!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #29
katy

Quote:
Keep a Log Book.

It is very hard trying to remember what and when you fixed various things on your Model A. I strongly recommend keeping a small note book on everything you do to your car. I have two A’s and take care of a third for a friend. In each car, I keep a small book and write down everything I do. Things like oil changes, grease jobs, change points, new tires, new plugs, add lube to trans., pack water pump, check king pins, valve job, brake adjust or repair, etc. Anytime you do anything on your car, write it down. Show the date and mileage when you did it. This will let you know how long the points lasted, how long between spark plug cleanings, how many miles on your tires, oil change times, how often you had to add lube to the trans., last time you changed plugs or some other component. As I have problems, I describe what the problem is and what I did to fix it.
I have done this for years, and it has really paid off. If you have more than one car to keep track of, keeping such a log book is a must. I use those small, 3x5 in. ring note books that cost about $1.00. Keep a small pencil with it and always keep it with the car. When you go to sell the car, or hand it down to a new mechanic in the family, it will come in handy, and you will have all the history on your car since you had it.
Good advice, I've been doing that to all my vehicles, old and modern for over 50 years.