Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #61
Kilohertz

Default Re: Let's start a junkyard fuel injection discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Henry View Post
If you decide to pick up a Megasquirt ECU it can definitely alternate injector firing between the two circuits. I had mine set up that way at first but it didn't work well due to my single plane manifold I think, with one injector closer to the rear cylinders and one closer to the front. Can you use a WB O2 input into the GM ECM?
If I can find a Megasquirt at a reasonable price I would certainly try it, I have wanted to for a few years. I was going to fuel inject one of my dune buggies, was going to build an old D or L Jetronic system but just never got around to it. I have all the parts and good FI engine cores.

I'm not sure about wide band O2 on the GM ECM? I am still searching for how to program the darn thing. I can find lots of BIN files with mods that have been done by others, but just not the logic or program that translates the binary into something like, "add more fuel at this RPM and vacuum" etc. I'll figure it out eventually.

I am currently building a WIN95 or 98 machine, boy that's fun, so I can run my old DOS based EPROM programmer. Sure glad I kept all my old Windows software...once a nerd, always a nerd. The hardest part is finding a 486 machine...ha ha.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2021, 03:10 PM   #62
HotRodmicky

You can get a 8x8 Ecu for around $300 from Australia if you want to go full sequentiell
Just weld some injectors bungs in a manifold , crank and cam sensor , and use COP or coil packs and try it.
Lots of fun , but will it be worth it ?
Good question....
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #63
Ken Henry

I decided to clean up my EFI installation a bit and converted to these ignition coils from a Cadillac northstar engine. The coil pack has a built in ignition module which I bypassed, so they're controlled by the Ford EDIS system. The spark plugs are run through plastic tubes and wrapped in 'ClassicBraid' split wire looms. A nice benefit of the coils is that they use standard HEI style terminals rather than the oddball two-piece EDIS ones...

F42DB928-8DFA-4DFA-8AD3-B8264D05CF0A by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #64
markdtn

That setup is very nice! I have thought about this and I would have done it like Bubba suggested-TBI with 4.3 GM ECM and small-cap Chevy distributor converted to flathead. But going Ford EDIS is next level. I am just finishing a 5.0 Explorer swap into a '66 Mustang using the coil packs and all (not converting to Mustang computer and distributor). Not many people go this way as it is hard to find someone who can program the computer.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #65
cmbrucew

https://www.motec.com.au/m800/m800overview/
You guys might consider this.
Bruce
Old 03-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #66
mrtexas

I installed a FITech unit on my 41 flathead. Didn't try very hard but couldn't get it to work. It ran WOT all the time. Must have been a vacuum leak...
Won't Neil call a Walla Walla client now?
Dr. Gong! Get ale to my motel at Egg-nog Rd!

41 woodie https://41fordwoodie.weebly.com/
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #67
big job

My thought bottom line: Think I'll take a ride for some milk in my 23 touring. Well come out of driveway and WHOOHO a 23 touring car across the street gas station getting a inspection sticker I turn around got behind him. Very nice 'nice as mine'. Middle age guy proud of his ""modern"" electronic distributor? foolishness: Now his turn for the sticker. No start nothing? I say I got a screwdriver in my toolbox. Huh? I say I have four coils no nonsense even If one goes bad got 3 more coils get ya home.
So he didn't a sticker but got a flat bed! Thats what one is up against Injection and computers can not be fixed results you are done, so no thank you. My V8 starts on a dime with out a choke in the coldest temps, and its 6volts too.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:45 PM   #68
Pete

Many have tried and a few have succeeded in making a mechanical fuel injection work on the street with no flat spots. When it works, the throttle reaponse is like nothing you have ever driven.
I have done 2 flatheads, one 296 with an original flat base Hilborn right out of the box and the other using an adapted 2.5 inch BBC unit on a 352 ci engine.
On both I had to make new barrel valve shafts with curves I arrived at by cut and try.
I am all for electronic injection but just sayin' the old stuff can be made to work also.
Costwise probably about the same with used parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hilborn3.jpg (15.5 KB, 16 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote