Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
Brewsterbuff

Default High fill primer

I am working on a '31 Pickup that is REALLY Rust Pitted. I just found an old can of PPG K 200 Primer (Yellow)that appears to be in good shape. The can says to use 201 Reducer/Hardener but I don't have that. I do have some K 202 Reducer/Hardener. I mixed a small amount with clean up grade Lacquer thinner and did a test spray that seems to have come out very good. USE IT? or what are my other options? I plan to spray over with epoxy primer and then Urethane Enamel. I hate to throw away stuff that still works!

Last edited by Brewsterbuff; 08-13-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Brewsterbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: High fill primer

Brent is certified…
But I follow the ppg data sheets to the letter!
With the overall investment in time and materials… I’d buy all fresh materials, hands down.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

While I did not call my PPG jobber to verify this, I am thinking that K200 primer has not been manufactured in the last decade or so. Am I mistaken?? If that is the case, I would strongly encourage you to rethink the use of that primer.

As far as the pits go, I think I would recommend applying a very thin coat of epoxy (i.e.: 1 coat it) and then use a Kevlar reinforced filler such as Evercoat 632 first to totally fill the pits and apply it in one coat.

I would use 80 grit on a DA to level the filler, and then come over the top of the filler with your high-build primer to fill the 80 grit scratches and to do minor leveling. Using only the high-build primer sets up a very large mil-thickness that will likely take at least a couple of applications and drying cycles. Additionally, you potentially risk that between the first and the second applications, you will not get a thorough enough sanding down in the pits which allows the following application to relies mostly on a chemical bond instead of a chemical and mechanical (scratched) bond. From a time, -and a longevity standpoint, this method will probably make you much happier.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

What Brent says!!!!
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #5
Brewsterbuff

Brent, Thanks for your advice. I did some research and you are correct K-200 is LONG GONE. However, my distributor had the K-201 Hardener in the shelf as a current product. (Not sure I understand that). I have used it now on 2 different jobs and it worked fine. Hope it holds up!

I am now working on my own '50 F-1 Pickup. Different truck, same problems! Since it is my own truck and I will be using it as a work truck and not for show, I decided to use up some old stock if possible. BUT, you are also right about the K-200 not totally filling the rust pits. After ALOT of sanding I am now filling the pitted ares with fine filler and preparing it for epoxy primer and then finish paint. The bed is done and it came out very nice, for a work truck! Doing all of the work on the roof of that Pickup, from ladders, is a real 'pain in the butt'!
Brewsterbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #6
dennis lumbert

My experience with k200 is that it shrinks over time and pulls loose .I would not use it .
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:32 PM   #7
J Franklin

I use product that is of dubious nature on garden tools and old machinery with no regrets. I don't throw anything out.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
BashawT

Don't do it. It's not worth the risk of a paint failure down the road after you've completed your restoration. Buy material that is not expired and mix/apply based on material tech data sheet.
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote