Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Russ B

Default Cabriolet belt rail wrapping?

I am not so far on rebuilding my 68A that the answer is absolutely critical, but I want to fit my rails right and want the wrapping installed where it should be. Fifty years ago, I was rushing for the top to be done by the time when I would become old enough to drive, so I just left the wrapping off the belt rail and the bows. I did not know what to do with all that wrapping and the instructions that came with the top kit were either non existent or too vague. ...too long ago to remember which. ...but still the same car I am working on today.

The basic question is whether the wrapping should cover both the triple hinge base and the lower landau bracket, or should these pieces be installed on top of the cloth wrapping. I have seen photos on-line showing both ways. I am more comfortable that the triple hinge bow pieces and upper landau brackets would be covered after they are installed on the bows. ...but quite uncertain about how to do the belt rail.

A second question on belt rail wrapping is: How are the belt rail bolts/screws installed with the wrapping in place? Or conversely, how is the wrapping installed with the rail in place?

My recollection is my unused wrapping cloth was almost a cheesecloth, and thus, how many layers thick would it be, and would the belt rail be black like the other body wood, or would it be painted in a light color so as not to show through the thin cloth, or would the wood be entirely unfinished but just wrapped?

Thanks for the help.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Bruce Adams

Default Re: Cabriolet belt rail wrapping?

I have a 68C and so not know if I could help, but posting on the Cabriolet forum might give some good info.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote