Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
Swingle

Default Model A Tudor Basement

Several years ago there was a product being sold for Tudors, that gave you more storage, by adding a underfloor storage to your Tudor.

Looking around on the web, I still see it advertised on several Parts Houses, but listed as discontinued.

Was wondering if anyone knew why this product was discontinued. Lack of interest? Bad product?

Also wondering if anyone knew of any still available.

Tudor Basement

Thanks.
Swingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Model A Tudor Basement

Probably lack of interest. Especially with so many running around with rear mounted trunks (which I never liked). JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingle View Post
Several years ago there was a product being sold for Tudors, that gave you more storage, by adding a underfloor storage to your Tudor.

Looking around on the web, I still see it advertised on several Parts Houses, but listed as discontinued.

Was wondering if anyone knew why this product was discontinued. Lack of interest? Bad product?

Also wondering if anyone knew of any still available.

I was keen to buy one of these and found a guy on Facebook who was selling one but after giving it some thought I decided against it because I think it would be very awkward to use especially if you want a rubber mat or carpet on the rear floor. I think you would need to be sitting on the rear seat to be able to open it and reach down and remove things, you couldn't do so from the front seat or standing outside the door. Also, would condensation inside this almost sealed box be a problem? Would things rust inside stored long term?

Having said all that, if you were doing a coast to coast trip and wanted a secret compartment for your valuables it would be a good option.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I cannot answer for certain but in many instances, items such as this were fabricated as a cottage industry for someone who was retired and looking for some extra hobby money. Alot of times, the person just 'ages out' and so the product ceases to be manufactured.

I would call and talk to Don Snyder to find the information as he likely knows. If none are available, then maybe find a local sheetmetal fabrication shop to make one for you.

As far as being able to access them, I feel that most people (-except those who may be a little vertically challenged ) can likely access them from standing on the outside and leaning into the back section. Cutting the rear floorboard into two sections might make lifting the mat and floorboard easier. As far as condensation, I'd say that temps get pretty warm inside the box with the muffler body running parallel to it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Jeff/Illinois

Our Tudor had plenty of storage space under the rear seat and it was never a problem for me.

But then I'm never one to carry around a lot of STUFF I keep it to the bare minimum
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #6
Synchro909

I fabbed one for myself. It is under the floor on the LHS and at 200mm (8") deep, it's surprising how much I can get in there and like M2M says, itis out of sight, out of mind.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
Brentwood Bob

Saw one fitted for a tour to Europe in 1998. This was at the Reno national. Owner needed all the storage he could find.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:56 AM   #8
McMimmcs

This would be perfect for several people in the " what do you carry with you post"! The ones with the itemized lists would just love it ! Hahaha!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
Swingle

My wife and I are both over 6' tall, making the Tudor a tight fit to begin with. When our two boys still lived at home, and joined us on trips, the car was packed tight.

We have taken our Model A out on week long road trips, and even camping.

Saw the potential of the Tudor Basement. Can't add anything to the top of the Model A, can definitely go down....

Thanks for all the replies.
Swingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:31 PM   #10
bdtutton

One of the previous owners of my Tudor put one of those basements into my car. It is not that hard to access and it holds a lot of stuff. It is amazing because it keeps things safe, clean and dry....it is also completely hidden. You can fill this basement with things and leave the car unlocked with the windows down and no one would ever think of looking there. The only downside is it looks like it would be tough to fit an overdrive unit between the basement pods...it might be too narrow. I also have a toolbox mounted between the frame rails on the front of the car, so I have a lot of storage without having a trunk on the back of the car.
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:02 AM   #11
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I cannot answer for certain but in many instances, items such as this were fabricated as a cottage industry for someone who was retired and looking for some extra hobby money. Alot of times, the person just 'ages out' and so the product ceases to be manufactured.

I would call and talk to Don Snyder to find the information as he likely knows. If none are available, then maybe find a local sheetmetal fabrication shop to make one for you.

As far as being able to access them, I feel that most people (-except those who may be a little vertically challenged ) can likely access them from standing on the outside and leaning into the back section. Cutting the rear floorboard into two sections might make lifting the mat and floorboard easier. As far as condensation, I'd say that temps get pretty warm inside the box with the muffler body running parallel to it.
Oh ouch, I hope your not talking about me. "just ages out"

I think I like the words "he just retired" better.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote