Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #1
bdtutton

Default Model A hot water heater installation

Hello all,
I purchased a brand new A-18480 (6v) hot water heater for my 1930 Tudor from Snyder's Antique Auto Parts. It seemed to be a good heater with a really interesting variable speed rheostat control, but I could not figure out how to make it fit in my car. It would not fit on the passenger side because of the gas line and carb control/choke. It kind of fit on the drivers side just to the right of the steering column, but my feet hit it when I hit the brake.
I called Snyder's and they did not have any examples of someone making this heater work, but they said people had made them work...so they knew there was a solution. I searched the internet, but could not find any examples.

After playing with several ideas i figures out a way to make the heater fit into the passenger compartment on the passenger side. The first difficult challenge I faced were fabricating a new gas line to run around the heater because the first bend was so tight and so close to the fitting it was hard to do with normal tools. The second challenge I faced was changing the choke rod to a choke cable that would hook up to a stock Zenith carb and still look stock. The rest of the problems were the standard problems of wiring and routing of hoses.

I am attaching some pictures to show how it looks after installation. Overall it seems like a decent unit, but the fan is a bit noisy when running full speed.

I live in Michigan and Winter is coming and it will get very cold soon....

I can post more pictures and explanations if anyone has questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heater_Control.jpg (35.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Heater_Floor.jpg (40.5 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Heater_Hoses.jpg (53.8 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg Choke_Cable.jpg (77.0 KB, 177 views)
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote