Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default SO incredibly mad at myself!!!

You may remember I have been troubleshooting my fuel gauge in my homemade woodie. Well, last week I left the ignition swith on for an hour and a half and when I just happened to notice, my new blue bosch coil was really hot. I was so pissed off I promised myself I wouldn't leave the ignition on again.....Well tonight after work I noticed the ignition switch has been on for 3 days. All I can imagine is my fresh Bubba's distributer has burned points, my coil is fried and other horrors yet unknown. Is this what happens when we advance in age? It is on the charger now, but have I ruined something or is this just something that happens? Already had a rough day at work, but I'll get through this. We always do.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
KDL

Default Re: SO incredibly mad at myself!!!

CRS. I know the feeling.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
slowforty

CRAFT is worse
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
CRAFT is worse
What is CRAFT? An urge to buy a hot glue gun and a couple tubes of sequins? Sounds dreadful....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
KDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
CRAFT is worse
Lol.
Yup. That's more like it.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
jim1932

I got in the habit of disconecting the battery everytime I leave the car. granted it is by no means a regular driver.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #7
petehoovie

Can't Remember A Frigging Thing....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Can't Remember A Frigging Thing....
I spent two hours today trying to find some sockets I bought to wire up my turn signals. Finally gave up. And no, I am definately not a pot smoker.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I would not leave the ignition on for more than a minute or so max. Longer leads to damage and increases the chance of forgetting about it being on. Even better would be to remove the coil wire if you are going to do extended testing.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Of course I would never leave it on on purpose. I guess I need a dash warning light. I'm gonna go down in a half hour and try to start it.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Of course I would never leave it on on purpose. I guess I need a dash warning light. I'm gonna go down in a half hour and try to start it.
I really do think taking the coil wire off anytime your trouble shooting anything other than the ignition system itself is the way to go. Only takes a few seconds and takes the memory element out of it. I've had some memory issues lately that have been really costly!!!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #12
michael a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I really do think taking the coil wire off anytime your trouble shooting anything other than the ignition system itself is the way to go. Only takes a few seconds and takes the memory element out of it. I've had some memory issues lately that have been really costly!!!
Maybe at our our ages what the hell would a little reefer hurt?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:24 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
So you are saying the wire between the coil and distriburer cap? Anything to take the memory thing out of it. And here I was all excited to get on medicare in May and the cheaper ferry tickets and the free senior lunch at the senior center, not to mention the 25 cent coffee at Macdonalds when I get to the mainland....
Old 11-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
So you are saying the wire between the coil and distriburer cap? Anything to take the memory thing out of it. ..
As Kevin already answered, one of the small wires connected to the coil. Either the wire from the ignition switch to the coil or the wire from the coil to the distributor points. In your latest case the points must have been open, lucky you! Kevin's suggestion for a cut-out switch is a good one, but I would still remove the coil wire while trouble shooting. You could spend a considerable amount of time working around the car during the day and under the right conditions it doesn't take long to damage something with the ignition on.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #15
RalphM

I really like the one when you walk into a room, and forget why your there!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:24 PM   #16
koates

Well you may or may not have damaged the coil depending on weather the distributer timing contacts are closed or open. Points closed and coil cooking, points open so no current flow there. Regardless the distributer contacts may survive OK.. All my cars have a battery cut off switch and its always OFF when I walk away from the car. Fit that switch NOW and use it. It also doubles as an anti theft device if you hide it somewhere. And NO not the coil to dist cap high tension cable but the small ignition primary wire at the distributer to one coil small terminal. Regards, KEVIN.

Last edited by koates; 11-14-2017 at 09:32 PM.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #17
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Well you may or may not have damaged the coil depending on weather the distributer timing contacts are closed or open. Points closed and coil cooking, points open so no current flow there. Regardless the distributer contacts may survive OK.. All my cars have a battery cut off switch and its always OFF when I walk away from the car. Fit that switch NOW and use it. It also doubles as an anti theft device if you hide it somewhere. And NO not the coil to dist cap high tension cable but the small ignition primary wire at the distributer to one coil small terminal. Regards, KEVIN.

So, Kevin you are saying a battery cut off switch? What's best and easiest?

I'll report soon on my 'start up'
Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #18
Jack E/NJ

An optimist might say there's a 33% chance the points were open with a 30* dwell. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
An optimist might say there's a 33% chance the points were open with a 30* dwell. 8^) Jack E/NJ
My wife is making dinner right now, but I bet with my 30 year old charger, my battery is 'half full' by now. I am the eternal optomist.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #20
koates

Yes, fit a heavy duty battery cut off switch which breaks the main battery cable or better still the main ground cable from the battery positive terminal if its an original Ford positive to ground system. I try and mount these switches in the floor of the vehicle just in front of the drivers seat so that the floor mat will hide the knob or key. It can be reached fast if there is a wiring short or fire even while you are driving if need be. You don't have to lift the hood so nobody can see you turning it off. Some switches have a removable key or lever. You may have to make or buy battery cables to suit the switch position. Yes I like you tend to forget things sometimes and Im over seventy. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote