Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #1
rockfla

Default Weird hobby

Looking at RM Auctions lots for the up coming Hershey auction and a early 60's VW Deluxe Micro Bus is estimated and more than "double" every Early Ford V8 in the auction BUT one AND the one Early Ford V8 that is not over half is 40% less. The Bus is also in the same price range as a Lincoln MK II and a little over 15% less than a 36'ish Lincoln Victoria.

CRAZY
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:10 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Weird hobby

Sure glad I have absolutely zero interest in VW's (or C10 pickups for that matter).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Looking at RM Auctions lots for the up coming Hershey auction and a early 60's VW Deluxe Micro Bus is estimated and more than "double" every Early Ford V8 in the auction BUT one AND the one Early Ford V8 that is not over half is 40% less. The Bus is also in the same price range as a Lincoln MK II and a little over 15% less than a 36'ish Lincoln Victoria. CRAZY

1965 VW T2

Type 2 '21-Window' Deluxe Microbus RM Sotheby's - Hershey 2022
Hershey, 06 October

See > https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/vw/t2/1965/929440

USD 100 000 - 150 000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1acc686f58805c8ee80833592f685f18.jpg (56.3 KB, 452 views)

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 09-27-2022 at 01:53 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #4
rockfla

Fortunately, I am opposite of Tubman above. I guess it has a lot to do with what you grew up with and what you were exposed to as a kid. ALTHOUGH I have been a V8 guy since about 6 months old (when my Dad bought our 37 Woody) I was also exposed to good many VW's as my Dad and Mom had a 62 Convertible, My granddad had a 59 Karmenn Ghia for many of my formative years, we had a 70 beetle......It was only natural that at driving age VW's were sure to come.....AND Cheap at age 18-24ish. NO doubting the influence Ford had on Prof Porsche and the styling of the beetle AND some of the variants available throughout the years. Probably the MOST desirable VW ever built is the Hebmuller Cabriolet pictured above which NO doubt hits all the buttons of mid to late 30's Early Ford V8 Roadster/Cabriolets There are several other "interesting" VW's IMO......NO doubt I would have several IF the finances allowed.....just NOT at the RM Auction estimates these days either!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VWHeb1.jpg (59.8 KB, 481 views)

Last edited by rockfla; 09-27-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:02 PM   #5
petehoovie

Quote:
Fortunately, I am opposite of Tubman above. I guess it has a lot to do with what you grew up with and what you were exposed to as a kid. ALTHOUGH I have been a V8 guy since about 6 months old (when my Dad bought our 37 Woody) I was also exposed to good many VW's as my Dad and Mom had a 62 Convertible, My granddad had a 59 Karmen Ghia for many of my formative years, we had a 70 beetle......It was only natural that at driving age VW's were sure to come.....AND Cheap at age 18-24ish. NO doubting the influence Ford had on Prof Porsche and the styling of the beetle AND some of the variants available throughout the years. Probably the MOST desirable VW ever built is the Hebmuller Cabriolet pictured above which NO doubt hits all the buttons of mid to late 30's Early Ford V8 Roadster/Cabriolets There are several other "interesting" VW's IMO......NO doubt I would have several IF the finances allowed.....just NOT at the RM Auction estimates these days either!!!!

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 09-27-2022, 02:08 PM   #6
petehoovie

This "THING" is my favorite VW!

Old 09-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #7
rockfla

Petehoovie

We have one, although it has been a bit modified to look more like the "original" from hence the styling and concept came.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:37 PM   #8
rockfla

Petehoovie

Merge your picture and this one (The original "Thing"), that's what we have now!!!! My Dad did the round fenders, with the pedestal mounted head lights, spare on the hood, but still the big flat front like your picture!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kubelwagaen1.jpg (78.8 KB, 450 views)
Old 09-27-2022, 02:44 PM   #9
petehoovie

Quote:
Petehoovie

We have one, although it has been a bit modified to look more like the "original" from hence the styling and concept came.
Like this one?

Volkswagen Kübelwagen

Old 09-27-2022, 03:04 PM   #10
rockfla

Everything BUT the more "pointy" front end!!! Including the "Notek" black out light!!
Old 09-27-2022, 03:17 PM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:
Everything BUT the more "pointy" front end!!! Including the "Notek" black out light!!

Old 09-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #12
Graeme / New Zealand

The younger monied up generation now want cars that were common when they were younger and demand inflates the prices. As the older generation "dies off" interest for what was in demand for them dies too and prices drop. Down here in NZ we are starting to see Japanese cars from the 70's going for silly dollars. Nostalgia bites and with many of them long crushed (or rusted away) everyone wants a piece of what's left from their youth, including vehicles what would have been considered "grey porridge" (English term). If it is in demand and you want it you have to be now prepared to pay.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:23 PM   #13
DavidG

Graeme,

Well put; it is under way everywhere.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #14
Detonator

If you chart the time it took for VW buses to replace woodies as the car-of-choice for surfers out here on the West Coast, and laid it over a chart of the rise and fall of woodie prices versus the more recent trajectory of VW bus prices -- you'd find they match pretty closely.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:37 PM   #15
GB SISSON

I once heard this called the '30 year rule'. 30 years after high school some guys can finally afford the car that only few kids in HS were able to buy. Mustang, GTO, etc...., Now even those are making way for the subaru WRX and toyota landcruisers and many other often foreign cars. I remember Fred MacMurray in his model T. Perhaps 30 years after HIS high school days.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #16
neilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
The younger monied up generation now want cars that were common when they were younger and demand inflates the prices. As the older generation "dies off" interest for what was in demand for them dies too and prices drop. Down here in NZ we are starting to see Japanese cars from the 70's going for silly dollars. Nostalgia bites and with many of them long crushed (or rusted away) everyone wants a piece of what's left from their youth, including vehicles what would have been considered "grey porridge" (English term). If it is in demand and you want it you have to be now prepared to pay.

GB
I suspect that the "Model T" crowd was having these same thoughts and conversations in the 60s and 70s about those youngster Flathead V8 car people and the stupid crazy money those 32 Ford's commanded.

Here is my 66 21 window as found and finished. It went to California 20+ years ago and I had a down payment on a house, I still have the house...

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-21window.jpg (42.8 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg 66-21window2.jpg (96.4 KB, 389 views)

Last edited by neilp; 09-28-2022 at 10:36 PM.
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #17
petehoovie

Before

After

Old 09-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #18
russcc

The other factor is the joy of the return on investment trajectory. . An investment advisor I know just bought a 1995 Defender ?. A US model of a Range Rover. It already appreciated about $10,00o in less than year. He also loves the heck out of it, and spent $6,000 to expand his garage door to get it in. I like it, but the ''34 roadster to me is the absolute best looking car regardless of ROI.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #19
oldbugger

I have always been a Ford guy, but while serving in Germany 1970-71 i learned to appreciate VW also. Had my 1st one there and 75+ since. 1958 euro bug now. There are some similarities, some Ford parts on my bugs and VW parts on my Fords
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:26 PM   #20
5851a

My Aunt married in 62, he had a Karmin Ghia and they drove away in bliss, in 63 with family on the way, it was traded for a new beetle. The beetles were fun cars in the day, easy to teach someone manual transmission, just like an old Ford. I overheard a conversation one day between my new bride and her friend, "does he tell you how to drive?" "No, only thing he ever said was don't get behind a VW van" they laughed and laughed. VW value? It's a cult thing. Some people buying will never lay an eye on the vehicle. It is strictly an investment like stocks. Personally, I have no time for investor's ruining hobbies, but that is just me.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote