Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
scooder

Default 1942 Pickup

I have a 1942 Ford 1/2 ton pickumup. This is very nearly ready for the road (been saying that for 2 years, life keeps interupting Ford time) The fuel line rout. I havent got the tank under the seat anymore, it was rotted out, I now have a tank (1958 Fairlane) under the bed in back. Fits good. Got the filler coming out of the rear fender, 1940 style. So the fuel line runs all the way from the back of the chassis. This ends (at the moment) about level with the pedal assembly and crossmember. From here it has (at the moment, as a tempory measure) flexible fuel line to the pump. Its tempory as I'd like to know where the line goes in a stock truck. Does it come up the firewall near the centre and to the pump, or does it come up the side of the firewall, then across the firewall to the pump. My tepory line comes up just off centre to the pump, but this sits directly behind the rear of the cylinder bank on that side. And as we know, the back of the engine has exhaust porting at the outside wall of the block, no water twix the port and the outer of the block. I do have a couple of inches clearence to the block. I think theres better places to run the line. So wanted to know where it was from the factory.
A good under hood pic of the firewall would be worth a thousand words.
Many thanks
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
flat-v8

Default Re: 1942 Pickup

The normal route is along the left frame rail, 90* up to the firewall, then 90* again toward the fuel pump, continuous 1\4" copper coated steel tubing, then flex fuel hose into the fuel pump. There is a bracket strap on the firewall to hold it.
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
scooder

Default Re: 1942 Pickup

Thanks, I was trying to find the routing from photos. Now I know where I'm looking in the photos I can see the fuel line. Not clearly, but good enough.
Many thanks.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote