Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #1
petehoovie

Default Lawson's Fan

Lawson Cox - His Elusive Fan

LAWSON AT WORK!

Taking a well deserved nap in my restored Morris chair. (Latest patent shown on brass plaque, 1906)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fan - 1.jpg (50.7 KB, 943 views)
File Type: jpg Fan - 2.jpg (52.5 KB, 930 views)
File Type: jpg 295490539_1617920201922649_2871949441416250526_n.jpg (76.5 KB, 1188 views)

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 09-24-2022 at 09:04 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:43 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Lawson's Fan

Glad he found one !!
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:47 AM   #3
neilp

I like the Morris chair more than the fan. I am glad you found the fan for you engine build.

Patrick
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:27 AM   #4
Mart

We're all Lawson's fans.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #5
John Gibson

Yes indeed. He looks pretty damn comfortable in that chair! Rumor has it that he’s actually older than the chair!
John, down in sand knat country.
John Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:09 AM   #6
51504bat

Making progress. First the fan and maybe next he'll be able to post photos?
Old 09-25-2022, 08:20 AM   #7
glennpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
We're all Lawson's fans.
Yes!

Love the chair
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:22 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Me thinks Lawson is spending way too much time resting and napping in that nicely restored Morris chair!!

We need him to spend more of that napping time in getting that little 60hp Flathead engine finished and on its way to the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:08 AM   #9
mfirth

Like the chair, this thread is fan-tastic . I'm with Lawson ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:19 PM   #10
Lawson Cox

[QUOTE=51504bat;2169050]Making progress. First the fan and maybe next he'll be able to post photos?[/QUO

You never know. Miracles happen every day. LOL

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:31 PM   #11
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Me thinks Lawson is spending way too much time resting and napping in that nicely restored Morris chair!!

We need him to spend more of that napping time in getting that little 60hp Flathead engine finished and on its way to the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum!!
John:

Sorry to say, the 60HP engine may be going to The Henry Ford instead of the V8 museum.

The V8 club threw Jerry Grayson and me under the bus on the 35-36 pickup book, and they have done the same thing to me on the display stand for the 60HP engine. They refuse to bear the cost for the stand notwithstanding their commitment, in writing, to do so.

I have approached The Henry Ford about taking the 60HP.

Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Old 09-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #12
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Lawson Cox - His Elusive Fan

LAWSON AT WORK!

Taking a well deserved nap in my restored Morris chair. (Latest patent shown on brass plaque, 1906)
\

Thanks Pete for posting the pictures for me, and thanks to everyone else for their comments, be they sarcastic or complementary.

I have thoroughly enjoyed working on this project, and I have learned a lot in the process. Several Barners have made very generous contributions to the project in the way of 100% correct parts and knowledgeable guidance on 60HP minutia that I was unaware of. I thank each and every one for sharing their knowledge and experience.

The project will now be 100% as Henry built it with the acquisition of this fan, a correct generator pulley and a correct, script, 60HP fan belt.

I'm tickled pink.

Lawson

Old 09-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
John:

Sorry to say, the 60HP engine may be going to The Henry Ford instead of the V8 museum.

The V8 club threw Jerry Grayson and me under the bus on the 35-36 pickup book, and they have done the same thing to me on the display stand for the 60HP engine. They refuse to bear the cost for the stand notwithstanding their commitment, in writing, to do so.

I have approached The Henry Ford about taking the 60HP.

Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.
Sorry, to hear this Lawson. I was hoping to see that little 60hp engine the next time I visited the Early Ford Foundation Museum. Darn, it wouldn't take that much of a stand to mount that engine, even with its little 3 spd transmission attached.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:14 PM   #14
Lawson Cox

Yeah John, it hasn't brought me to tears, but mighty damned close.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:23 PM   #15
nelsb01

Lawson,
I hate to ruin your "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me" statement, but you are talking about 2 different organizations, and please get that straight.

The Early Ford V-8 Club of America and the Early Ford V-8 Foundation are NOT the same organization.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:37 PM   #16
cas3

If I was closer I would make you an engine stand. Nobody over that way has a welder?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:36 PM   #17
ford38v8

Two groups of unpaid volunteers representing two different organizations coincidentally have come to similar positions regarding the definitions of words like Donate and Volunteer. Stirring up controversy about either or both groups on a public forum has no redeeming value.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:25 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Two groups of unpaid volunteers representing two different organizations coincidentally have come to similar positions regarding the definitions of words like Donate and Volunteer. Stirring up controversy about either or both groups on a public forum has no redeeming value.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:39 PM   #19
cas3

Where's the like button ?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:48 PM   #20
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Where's the like button ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
If I was closer I would make you an engine stand. Nobody over that way has a welder?
Yes, cas 3, even I have three welders, gas, electric and MIG, but my beads leave a lot to be desired nowadays.

If you want to come over my way and spend the better part of two or three days time fabricating a suitable display stand, I will be more than willing to put you up at my house and feed you some great Southern cooking throughout your sojourn.

I have personally visited several welding fabricators in my area and discussed this project with them at quite some length, showing them photographs, etc, but most only do industrial fabrication, no "small stuff".

I did finally come up with two firms that would give me a price on a rather unsophisticated display stand. In fact I showed both a picture of the display stand I had in mind, and spent quite a while discussing the details with each. It is a display stand that is presently on display at the V8 museum, with a cutaway engine on it. Perhaps some of you are familiar with that display. It is the same stand that I "discussed" at quite some length, via email and over the phone, with the head man at the V8 museum, Josh Conrad.

Both firms gave me a quote. One was $1,000.00, and the other was $1,400.00. I was quite surprised at the quotes to be perfectly honest with everyone, but I am not a metal fabricator nor have I had the occasion to visit such an establishment since I retired some 35 years ago. These two firms are the only ones that basically would even consider taking on the job.

The firm that gave me the $1,000.00 quote has since gone up to $1,300.00, and was quick to impress upon me that his quote did not include casters, painting or powder coating. I might also point out that he wanted me to bring the engine to his place for measurements and fabrication of the stand. At 91 and somewhat physically handicapped I am simply unable to do that.

The $1,400.00 bidder is still firm on his price. He is asking $850.00 down and has assured me that he will come by my shop for all measurements and templates and deliver the completed display stand to my shop and help me mount the engine and transmission onto the stand to make certain everything fits and passes muster with me before I pay him the balance due on the stand. I challenge anyone to come up with a better price in my area.

I simply refuse to allow this rare engine and transmission combination, which I have worked so hard on, and spent so much of my limited resources on to be displayed on basically the equivalent to three concrete blocks as has been suggested. I am certain such a display would be refused, hands down, by the museum, and I certainly would not want my name associated with it if it was accepted.

There, I've let it all hang out, and I'm glad.