Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2022, 08:22 AM   #1
Bob-A

Default I've seen it all now...

Yesterday I drove my '31 "A" roadster to the local Cruise In. It is a monthly get together except in the hottest summer months. Located in Dade City, Fla. Parked across the street from me was some whoop-de-do, super-duper Ford Mustang. Nice car if that is what you are into. While sitting in my chair and looking around the area. I noticed the Mustang owner wiping his car down. Cool, I would do the same if it was my car. However, I noticed the guy take out a hand held spray can, his hood was up. I said to myself: is he going to try and start the car with some either?!? The car next to mine was blocking my view of the Mustang's driver window so I couldn't tell if anybody was sitting in it. Well, it turns out the spray can was not either, but compressed air. And he started to "dust" his engine compartment with the spray can. Like the title says: "I've seen it all now". I do not go to organized car shows so I don't know if this is a regular thing or not. Even if I had a blue ribbon Duesenberg I don't think I would "dust" it off with a spray can. Each to he's own, I guess.

Bob-A

Back in the day when Men were Men, Women were Women, Cars were Cars and everybody liked it that way.
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: I've seen it all now...

I go to one car show a year with "Rusty". Its at a local church on the 4th of July. Nice family event and its free to enter. Pre-show prep involves washing the windows and using a hand held blower to blow out the leaves and other debris from the cab and bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blower.jpg (17.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-04-2022, 11:11 AM   #3
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
I go to one car show a year with "Rusty". Its at a local church on the 4th of July. Nice family event and its free to enter. Pre-show prep involves washing the windows and using a hand held blower to blow out the leaves and other debris from the cab and bed.
Sounds like it’s a great show!

Let the people really enjoy your cars.

Enjoy
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
jb-ob

Most show cars only get washed with bottled water, preferably imported, same as the car !!
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #5
ronn

Most show cars only get washed with bottled water, preferably imported, same as the car !!

does it have to be carbonated?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:39 AM   #6
old31

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Well I have a car show story to tell you.

A 61 vet parked next to me. He took off his air filter and replaced it with a filter wrapped in cloth from his trunk. Then he removed his all of his hub caps and replaced them with caps wrapped up in cloth from his trunk. He then removed his windshield wipers and did the same thing. I asked him what was he doing. He said what I took off was driver material and what i replaced it with is original, never used NOS equipment that is only used for shows.

This was not a special NCRS show, it was just your run of the mill Sunday local car show.

Now is that considered fun? I don't think so.

And by the way, he did not win.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:50 PM   #7
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
That's what we are talking about right there.
With you all the way
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:20 PM   #8
todd3131

Car shows are why I started a cars and coffee once a month last year. I never felt comfortable at them. We have done six so far started with 25 cars and the august one we had over three hundred from model a to a three new c8 corvettes and everything in between we like them all. One young guy brought an early 90s Buick Electra I think and he was as proud of that car and knew everything about it. I thanked him for bringing it out and encouraged him to come back. We all started with something. If anyone curious about it check out or website Hiawathacarsandcoffee.com next one is the 18 of September.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:34 PM   #9
31AAFORD

from a old ratrod guy this was always fun to watch as I sip on a cold beer
31AAFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #10
1928Mik

I've seen things like that at car shows, that's why I finally quit entering them. Also, I came to find out that it's not really all about your car, you have to know someone within the club putting on the show. I had an all-original '66 Impala I took to a show and lost to a crappy Mustang beside me that had undercarriage rust and an orange-peel paint job simply because he was a member of the club and I wasn't......So now I just go to cruise-ins and leave when I want.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:11 PM   #11
5851a

Old31 you could beat the corvette home by the time he swapped all those parts out.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote