Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
chrs1961815

Default HELP! I can't start my 28 roadster!

I need some assoatance with starting my 28 roadster. This is the first time I have ever owned a car this old much less a model a. So I am a newbie to all of this. I have read the original manual and other books but even after trying different combinations I have had no luck. I need to get it started soon as I have to go to a car show with it the 25th of August. By the way, this is a restored car with a 1931 ford engine in it with no modifications. Before I bought it, the previous owner had it all serviced and checked. I don't think there is anything qrong with it, I just need some insight from the seasoned veterans of model a's to get this puppy started.
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: HELP! I can't start my 28 roadster!

The problem could be any number of things. If you don't live far from whomever you bought the car from , then get them to help you. Or, someone with Model A experience. A Model A will run if it has.
1.Spark
2. Compression
3. Fuel
Beyond that, it's a crap shoot. Good luck.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
chrs1961815

Thats part of the problem: the car is from Miami. I have been trying to track down someone near me that has knowledge of these things. Most of those guys are gone now.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Since you are a beginner in the Model A world, I gotta ask the obvious question: Have you turned on the fuel valve at the bottom the tank? Virtually every first-time Model A owner overlooks this basic step in starting his new toy. Because the car was shipped to you from Miami, the owner or trucker most likely turned off the fuel valve for shipment as a safety precaution. There would be enough gas left in the carb to start the car upon arrival and back it off the trailer - but not much more.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Are you putting the spark control lever up? Is there a local Model A club that might have someone willing to come over and take a look?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Since you are a beginner in the Model A world, I gotta ask the obvious question: Have you turned on the fuel valve at the bottom the tank? Virtually every first-time Model A owner overlooks this basic step in starting his new toy. Because the car was shipped to you from Miami, the owner or trucker most likely turned off the fuel valve for shipment as a safety precaution. There would be enough gas left in the carb to start the car upon arrival and back it off the trailer - but not much more.
Marshall
Yes, I am aware of that and I always make sure to switch that on.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
oldforder

Have you used the car since you got it? If so, you must know the procedure to start it. Are you sure you are doing all the steps? I have forgot to turn on the switch on occasion, to the safety cut of switch on the battery if so equipped. Is there gas in the tank? If all this is good you will have to start troubleshooting.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
1crosscut

First off is the engine turning over?
If it is do you have spark?
If it’s turning over put the spark plug wires about a quarter inch away from the tips of the spark plugs to see if you have spark jumping the gap.
Does gas drip out of the carburetor after cranking it over and holding the choke closed. Usually gas will drip out of the carburetor after a half dozen or so revolutions with the choke pulled closed.
Let us know what you see after trying this.
Need more info to help you.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #9
gustafson
BANNED

given the circumstances you'll need to locate a local to assist you
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldforder View Post
Have you used the car since you got it? If so, you must know the procedure to start it. Are you sure you are doing all the steps? I have forgot to turn on the switch on occasion, to the safety cut of switch on the battery if so equipped. Is there gas in the tank? If all this is good you will have to start troubleshooting.
I was able to start it up drive it up my driveway and into my garage. I have covered everything I can think of, i have the original manual and i have read it more times I can count. Definetely gas in the tank.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #11
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
First off is the engine turning over?
If it is do you have spark?
If it’s turning over put the spark plug wires about a quarter inch away from the tips of the spark plugs to see if you have spark jumping the gap.
Does gas drip out of the carburetor after cranking it over and holding the choke closed. Usually gas will drip out of the carburetor after a half dozen or so revolutions with the choke pulled closed.
Let us know what you see after trying this.
Need more info to help you.
When starting the car, I can almost get it to start up. My car is very touchy with all the levers and choke rod. I can almost get it to start and run but it fizzles out no matter what I do. Some gas does drip out after my attempts. I do have sparks jumping which I checked. I think I found someone that can come help in person but I hope it is soon enough.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #12
KenCoupe

Hopefully that person near you can help you. Just in case, it sounds like the car might be flooded if gas is dripping out of the carb. How long do you have the choke held out? It usually is held out for one or two cranks of the engine to get enough gas to the carb, then let go (pushed in). Also, is your throttle lever pushed all the way up, or down a few clicks. Most people have better success starting the car if the throttle lever is down a few clicks and the spark lever is all the way up.

Good luck with getting it started - it sounds like it is a matter of just getting familiar with your car.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showpost....42&postcount=5
Old 08-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #14
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
When starting the car, I can almost get it to start up. My car is very touchy with all the levers and choke rod. I can almost get it to start and run but it fizzles out no matter what I do. Some gas does drip out after my attempts. I do have sparks jumping which I checked. I think I found someone that can come help in person but I hope it is soon enough.
Make sure the GAV is not turned out too far. Close it all the way and then open 1/2 turn.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #15
Curtis in MA

My gas lever is at 2:30-3 position.
If not timed right fully retarded (up) may not be right, try pulling it down when it begins to start.
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #16
chrs1961815

Thanks everybody for the advice. Hopefully the guy near me can teach me a thing or two
Old 08-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #17
Mike Peters

Chris: So it sputters and dies? I always turn the GAV, which is the same as the choke rod from the carburetor , a couple turns open, counter clockwise, and then close it or nearly close it after warm up. Are you doing that? I just noticed that you are from Spring Grove. Not far from me in Sharon, WI. I emailed you my phone#. Call if still having problems. Mike
Old 08-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #18
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Chris: So it sputters and dies? I always turn the GAV, which is the same as the choke rod from the carburetor , a couple turns open, counter clockwise, and then close it or nearly close it after warm up. Are you doing that? I just noticed that you are from Spring Grove. Not far from me in Sharon, WI. I emailed you my phone#. Call if still having problems. Mike
I think I have done that; I tried so many different adjustments I have forgot some!

Sharon isn't too far from me at all. Don't they have a model a show up there every year?
Old 08-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #19
Mike Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
I think I have done that; I tried so many different adjustments I have forgot some!

Sharon isn't too far from me at all. Don't they have a model a show up there every year?
Yes. It's called Model A Day. First Sunday in June every year since 1997.