Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
34fordy

Default Today's Surprise !!

Just like the Cracker-Jacks box trinket at the bottom of the box 65 or 70 years ago, I get a bonus when I open the mail box and the latest edition of V8 Times is there. Always makes me smile on the inside. Great reading tonight!!!
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Today's Surprise !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
Just like the Cracker-Jacks box trinket at the bottom of the box 65 or 70 years ago, I get a bonus when I open the mail box and the latest edition of V8 Times is there. Always makes me smile on the inside. Great reading tonight!!!

Heck, go sit on the pot and read it NOW! Why wait? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
flatford8

The V8 Times, Hemings and Hot Rod Deluxe provide the good reading material in my house.... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
The V8 Times, Hemings and Hot Rod Deluxe provide the good reading material in my house.... Mark

Yep ! I get the same three , plus Car Kulture Deluxe ..........F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Heck, go sit on the pot and read it NOW! Why wait? DD
Got that job done before 8AM DD--Just had a new 9' drive poured back to my
34 Fordor bedroom--Trying to get things cleaned up in the yard so will have to wait until "Miller Time" --I know, I know, anytime is Miller Time--

Last edited by 34fordy; 06-01-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Poor spelling kinda
Old 06-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Beer 30 is whenever you say it is. It will be a while for me too but I'll be ready for a cold one when it is. If that is a concrete drive then you'll be parched when time comes but it's sounds like it's for a very good cause.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Beer 30 is whenever you say it is. It will be a while for me too but I'll be ready for a cold one when it is. If that is a concrete drive then you'll be parched when time comes but it's sounds like it's for a very good cause.
The job is done but my "Honey" has to stay in bed until Wednesday says the concrete man--Then I can drive on it--Concrete guy gave me a lead on an old Ford pickup on a farm that he thinks the old fella ( I think older than I am) might sell, but only to someone that will not make a hot rod out of it--Sounds like my kinda guy--Hope it is a 33-36???
Old 06-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
alanwoodieman

what are you waiting on? go see the pick up. heck you said you had to wait a few days to drive your "honey"
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
40cpe

Quote:
--Just had a new 9" drive poured back to my
34 Fordor bedroom--
9 inches THICK? You could land an airplane on that
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
9 inches THICK? You could land an airplane on that
You got me on that one--A real bad typo--The kind that could put a guy out of business real quick--I meant 9' wide and 4" thick and 85' long--Appreciate the correction--LOL
Old 06-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #11
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
what are you waiting on? go see the pick up. heck you said you had to wait a few days to drive your "honey"
Just got back--It is a 36 with the chrome grille--It had been restored somewhat but was told the 41K was actual? A very nice truck--I do not think he is quite ready to sell and is a nicer one than I am looking for--Very nice fella to talk with though--I would actually prefer one that has not been re-painted--The hunt goes on---------------
Old 06-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #12
alanwoodieman

keep in contact, we need to get as many flathead Fords out of garages/barns/sheds and back on the road as we can and stir up some interest in the younger generation. my 40 something year old son and I are going to look at a rough 36 roadster next week-he is the one pushing to build one with a flathead! go figure
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
keep in contact, we need to get as many flathead Fords out of garages/barns/sheds and back on the road as we can and stir up some interest in the younger generation. my 40 something year old son and I are going to look at a rough 36 roadster next week-he is the one pushing to build one with a flathead! go figure
I have felt that the interest would wane as we all get older, however---as I drive my 34 survivor Fordor around Fort Dodge, Iowa, the response from young kids, boys and girls makes me hope I am wrong--I do feel that the boxier look of the pre WWII cars is more apt to catch their eyes--I do not believe many kids grow up tinkering with cars as did the baby boomers and earlier kids did-- They now hone their computer and technical skills mostly--Time will tell I guess--
Old 06-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
Karl

Quote:
I have felt that the interest would wane as we all get older, however---as I drive my 34 survivor Fordor around Fort Dodge, Iowa, the response from young kids, boys and girls makes me hope I am wrong--I do feel that the boxier look of the pre WWII cars is more apt to catch their eyes--I do not believe many kids grow up tinkering with cars as did the baby boomers and earlier kids did-- They now hone their computer and technical skills mostly--Time will tell I guess--

I hope you are wrong as well

My 25 year old son seems to have the bug . One of my friends sold him a rolling 1929 Austin 7 chassis All the mechanicals have been done So all he really needs to do is put everything on a long wheel base chassis and build a speedster body for it . My friend sold it to him cheap (and I advanced the cash ) to foster his interest . My son is pretty mechanically challenged and because he is left handed every thing looks awkward -but he is learning rapidly - Nice to see Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:07 PM   #15
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Hey 34Fordy how about posting a large shot of your Aviator car 33/34 ?

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #16
Rustedjunk

I got mine too.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #17
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I hope you are wrong as well

My 25 year old son seems to have the bug . One of my friends sold him a rolling 1929 Austin 7 chassis All the mechanicals have been done So all he really needs to do is put everything on a long wheel base chassis and build a speedster body for it . My friend sold it to him cheap (and I advanced the cash ) to foster his interest . My son is pretty mechanically challenged and because he is left handed every thing looks awkward -but he is learning rapidly - Nice to see Karl

I don't know if being left handed makes things any more challenging with these cars. I'm a "leftie" (not a Coalition supporter).....apparently I have been all my life and it's never been a problem. Glad your boy is in to old stuff, I only have daughters but my oldest blurted out "coupe" when she was 18 months old when she saw a car coming down the road when my ex wife and I were out driving once, and she was right. She wants my coupe when I go.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #18
tubman

My older brother was left-handed and I was right handed. Back when we would work on cars together we'd swap tasks because some things are just more convenient to do with your left hand. When ever I found something where it looked like I'd be using my left hand, I'd turn the job over to him, and vice-versa. It does make life easier.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:03 AM   #19
34fordy

Quote:
Just got back--It is a 36 with the chrome grille--It had been restored somewhat but was told the 41K was actual? A very nice truck--I do not think he is quite ready to sell and is a nicer one than I am looking for--Very nice fella to talk with though--I would actually prefer one that has not been re-painted--The hunt goes on---------------
Four years later and I drove it home. I had forgotten about it and last week "voila" my hunt is over. I was getting a bit "stale" but feel like I have a new lease on life with plenty to do in the cold of Iowa winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.0 KB, 169 views)
Old 10-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #20
GB SISSON

What a great find! Looks like PO did all the hard stuff and you get to tinker and stay relatively clean. Very good looking pickup!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote