Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #21
oldford2

Default Re: oil filter delete??

I will chime in here on restrictor holes. In addition to the standpipe my 46 also has one in return to the oil pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg restrictor.jpg (37.9 KB, 29 views)
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:14 AM   #22
cas3

There should be no pressure in the can if the line coming in is smaller than the line going out to the pan. Same theory is used in all hydraulic machines, always a larger return line to the tank than the pressure lines. Some resistance from the filter element I would guess, but not much after its all warmed up. perhaps the return line is plugged up a bit ?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:09 PM   #23
Fritz

Doesn't hurt to run a stock filter. I used to have one and found the cardboard style filters from Macs leaked just as you describe. I began buying Wix 51006 which came with a properly fitting rubber gasket and it did not leak anymore. It was night and day between the two brands and supplied gaskets.

I have since rebuilt that engine and decided not to deal with the hassle of the filter. With frequent oil changes for a stock engine, I agree that my engine will be just fine.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:51 PM   #24
tubman

I bought two new Wix filters from my FLAPS last week. I changed the oil and filter on my car today, The gasket that came with the new filter seemed to be real rubber, fit fine, and didn't leak. As others have suggested, I would check the exit ports in the filter cannister.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:18 AM   #25
silverfoxracing

cheers boys. Lines are plugged for now. same size lines in and out!. Iwill report back in a week or so with what I find in the filter. My wife wants her new kitchen built!!! On a side note, anybody know where I can get new bonnet hinges for a 46 ford?
silverfoxracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #26
madspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I had to deal with this recently and found it to be the gasket.
After trying several that didn't work the one that came with a Napa gold 1006 filter fit. It's wider and will "snap" into place in the lid and will stay in place when placing the cap into position.
What a mess to clean up!
I have had the same results as Dick. the gasket that came with my filter was not the correct diameter and would not seal. I ended up re-using the old brittle one that's been in there for who knows how long and it sealed right up.
madspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:22 PM   #27
36coupe

Change the oil every 1000 miles or yearly which ever comes first. The oil will probably never get that dirty. Or run a filter and still change it yearly.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote