Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2022, 09:51 PM   #1
NorthGeorgia41Fordor

Default Lowering 41 Deluxe front end

I’d like to lower the front of my 41 Fordor two inches. It’s all original best I can tell. The rear is two inches higher. Can I lower the front a couple inches by removing leaves ? Still good to cruise in that way ? I know these 80 year old springs have settled or given out. I’ve read where cats have bought aftermarket lowering springs only to be discouraged that they only got a half inch .
I’m hoping removing a couple leaves and I’m good. Thanks fellows.
NorthGeorgia41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:47 AM   #2
koates

Default Re: Lowering 41 Deluxe front end

Why on earth would you want to lower an original car ? Its been fine for the last 80 years . Why not just enjoy the car the way it was built. We like original cars here on the Barn. I see this is your first post here so welcome to the group. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:00 AM   #3
chap52

Your car... I remember as a 16-year-old (60+ years ago) I bought "lowering shackles" from a local Auto parts Store for my 46 Ford Woodie. Just flat pieces of medal that extended the spacing of the original ones.
Life was so much simpler then... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
corvette8n

Smaller diameter tires maybe, My car got lower by about an inch when I removed 16 inch tires and rims and went with 15 inch.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:13 AM   #5
19Fordy

Reread the info. posted by others. What is your final objective? Sounds like you are about to open a can of worms. However, the worms won't emerge until later.

If the rear end of your car is already 2 in. higher than the front and you lower the front end, your car will have what is called a "California rake". This will cause the gear oil in the differential to run down inside the torque tube and dissolve the rubber encasing the torque tube center bearing that supports the drive shaft inside the torque tube. This will cause the drive shaft to "whip lash" inside the torque tube as it has no support. NOT GOOD.

Torque tube center bearings are extremely, EXTREMELY rare and very expensive if you do find one. Plus, you have to remove the rear end from the car to install a new bearing. It's a lot of tedious, hard work that requires a special tool and perserverence.

PLEASE post photos of your car so we can see what you're dealing with. Post photos of your front and rear suspension showing the springs and the shackles. It may be your front spring is fine but you have a broken main leaf in your rear spring which caused the car to sit lower. So take photos and post them. Do you know what the stock height of your car should be? Maybe a Fordbarner can post that info. Don't start taking your suspension apart until you find out all the variables and what the stock stance of your car should be.
You may be better off leaving it stock. What is your end goal?

1st photo is what was inside my torque tube. 2nd photo is center bearing with rubber goop cleaned off. 3rd photo is a New old Stock center bearing.

The red thing is the aftermarket retainer seal made by a fellow in TX that prevents the gear oil from running down the drive shaft. Installing it is a MAJOR project requiring rear end removal from your car. You will also need a rear spring "spring spreader". You will also need to install a "breather vent" in the rear axle housing.

As a side note, a Posie reversed eye spring will lower the front of your car 1 inch. Last photo is an example of a severe "rake" achieved with a reversed eye spring, dropped axle and steering arms plus BIG and little 15 in. tires. Here's more:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...984756/page-11
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9342b.jpg (61.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9347b.jpg (39.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9633b.jpg (47.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0294b.jpg (49.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0299b.jpg (25.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9480b.jpg (50.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0473b.jpg (30.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 40 ford side view BEST.jpg (93.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 09-28-2022 at 01:17 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:28 PM   #6
blucar

Modifying the suspension/steering of a car using any of the 'Old School Tricks', longer shackles, reverse spring eyes removing spring leafs and/or torching the springs is a sure way to create a possible accident looking for a place to happen.
I am the first to admit that I am guilty of utilizing one or more of the methods I have mentioned. Thinking back it is a wonder that I ever survived my teen years.
The only safe way to lower the front end on a EFV8 is to use a dropped axle.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:42 PM   #7
tubman

While I generally agree with the above, I believe there is another way to do it. I had a '36 coupe that I had mildly hot-rodded. It had a decent "rubber rake", but I wanted a little bit more. A reversed eye spring was just right, and didn't seem to affect the ride or handling a bit. Not that it would do the O/P much good, as his stock spring has probably sagged enough by now to match a new reversed eye spring. If he really wants to get into it, he could reverse the arch of his existing main leaf, but it's a lot of work and you still end up with an old used spring.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:59 PM   #8
NorthGeorgia41Fordor

Thanks cats. I need to give Fordys words some thought. Not hot ridding it. Just want a tad lower in the front. I’d be okay leaving it as is too.
NorthGeorgia41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:07 PM   #9
19Fordy

Ok, (meow, meow). It's time for some photos of your Fordor.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #10
fordor41

On our '41 Fordor, I used a reversed eye main leaf and removed every other leaf from 3rd leaf up with 15" wheels, stock shocks, stock shackles. worked good. also used chassis eng. rear springs in rear with one leaf removed. lowered about right for my taste, no too low and handled great.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:35 AM   #11
fortyonerag

You might also have some wheel scrub issues if you go too low in front.

If I hit a bump during turns on my 41, the tyre can connect with the inside of the fender gouging the wall of the tyre.

I'm no hot rodder, but it's been an expensive lesson in slowing down at bumps.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:26 AM   #12
Shoebox

As mentioned by several here, I installed a Posies reverse eye spring in the front of my '39 Merc, as I wanted a little rake. Came out just right and rides nice, perhaps due to the (teflon?) buttons at end of each leaf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 Merc.jpg (116.0 KB, 44 views)

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:43 AM   #13
drolston

In spite of what the catalog says, Posies does not make a spring that is a perfect fit for the '41, which is a one year configuration.
drolston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #14
blucar

After many trial and error mishaps to lower my '36 5 win cpe I finall went to a 2" dropped '41 front axle with a '41 front spring, stock shackles and tube shocks.
I upgraded the rear end to a '48 Columbia w/'48 axles and housings in lieu of the original '36 Columbia. I used a '48 rear spring with stock shackles, '48 tube shocks and a stock '48 panhard track bar.
The ride and handling of the car is perfect, the car sits pretty level, a couple inches lower than stock with a stock appearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford.2-08.1.jpg (44.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Ford.2-08.2.jpg (61.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-30-2022, 07:40 PM   #15
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
If the rear end of your car is already 2 in. higher than the front and you lower the front end, your car will have what is called a "California rake". This will cause the gear oil in the differential to run down inside the torque tube and dissolve the rubber encasing the torque tube center bearing that supports the drive shaft inside the torque tube. This will cause the drive shaft to "whip lash" inside the torque tube as it has no support. NOT GOOD.
Did not know that; I'm new to flatheads and torque tubes. I'd like a LITTLE bit lower front end but don't want to get into the mess you showed. Hard to be specific no doubt, but are are saying that if you go with a front 2" lower than the rear, you're OK, but don't go lower? Thoughts?

Thanks for the post! So many ways to get into trouble without knowing it.
SoCalCoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:46 PM   #16
47topless

that's how you learn. [/QUOTE]
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:54 PM   #17
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoupe View Post
Did not know that; I'm new to flatheads and torque tubes. I'd like a LITTLE bit lower front end but don't want to get into the mess you showed. Hard to be specific no doubt, but are are saying that if you go with a front 2" lower than the rear, you're OK, but don't go lower? Thoughts?

ANSWER: I don't know for sure but, if the front end is lowered 2 in. it would seem logical that some amount of rear gear lube would run forward and into the torque tube. However, I think the amount would be small. It's best to keep your car sitting level as per OEM standards.

There is a steel inner ring welded to the inside of the torque tube into which the torque tube center bearing is "squeezed" and held in place. I think that retainer ring would serve as a barrier to the gear oil but, over time as the level of gear oil increased inside the torque tube the barrier would be breached.

NOTE: This is just my own theory. First photos shows new center bearing being inserted into the torque tube along with the little "U" shaped gear oil hole passage that mates with the hole the pencil is pointing to in the banjo. (Photo #3) 2nd photo shows inside lip of retainer ring inside torque tube. Last photo shows retainer seal that block the flow of gear oil from banjo to inside of torque tube. It cost about $125 and is made by a fellow in TX.

PS: If I am wrong about any of my assertions in this reply, PLEASE let me know and clarify..

Read this thread to see a cross section view of what the center bearing looks like when seated inside the torque tube.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...center+bearing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0010b.jpg (53.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (52.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9472b.jpg (50.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0294b.jpg (49.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 09-30-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:52 PM   #18
Tinker

You could get an inch with a posie reverse spring maybe. As they have arch vs the old springs.

You could remove a few leafs, but the ride would suffer.

You could put in longer shackles in the front, but things will get sloppy certainly if you have not replaced rod ends. Which you might consider.

The real only way and best way to get 2" drop in the front end of a 41 is with a drop axle. Granted you will need drop arms on the spindle also. When you drop the axle it reduces track length also, so your tires won't rub. A posie reverse eye and a drop axle might get you even more then 2".

https://droppedaxles.com/

Or just drive it...
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:27 PM   #19
neilp

19FORDY,
Your car in your avitar does not appear to be sitting at factory height in front or rear. What exactly did you do to lower your car? What size wheels/tires are you running?

thank you

Patrick
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:52 AM   #20
19Fordy

Here's an interesting 2010 thread on lowering a 41 Ford.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...2656&showall=1