Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2022, 12:44 AM   #1
'32FordNut

Default Radiator, Shell & Hood Align on My '32

Hello, I took my radiator, hood and grille shell off to replace my 2 water pumps on my EAB motor on my 32, 3-W. I took off the hood supports but left the one nut tight so it would go back on in the position it came off. However, I realized that the bottom of the radiator adjusts fore and aft since the hole is oblong on the frame. How do I make sure the distance is correct before I try to wrestle putting the hood on and have an alignment issue??? Do I get the measurement on the bottom of the hood and then make sure it's about 1/4 - 1/2 inch longer from the firewall to the grille shell??? Thanks for the help. Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 3-W Pumps.jpg (54.2 KB, 277 views)
'32FordNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:56 AM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Radiator, Shell & Hood Align on My '32

The holes in the front cross member where the radiator is attached were not oblong originally. Somewhere along the way they either were worn into oblongs (not likely) or someone enlarged them to gain more adjustment for the radiator, etc.

In any event, what you have concluded regarding measuring the hood side panels and providing adequate space for each of them is what is required. Plus !/2" of space is likely excessive with plus 1/4" being a better choice.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:29 AM   #3
mercman from oz

'32FordNut's 1932 Ford Deluxe Three Window Coupe
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:44 AM   #4
alchemy

I see you have the most important tool for aligning Ford sheetmetal sitting right there on your air cleaner.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:00 AM   #5
'32FordNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
The holes in the front cross member where the radiator is attached were not oblong originally. Somewhere along the way they either were worn into oblongs (not likely) or someone enlarged them to gain more adjustment for the radiator, etc.

In any event, what you have concluded regarding measuring the hood side panels and providing adequate space for each of them is what is required. Plus !/2" of space is likely excessive with plus 1/4" being a better choice.
Thank you DavidG. I guess I was on the right track and I'll add a 1/4" to the total rather than the 1/2". That really helps. I'm anxious to finish up so I'll let you know how it goes later today. Thanks for the advice Sir!
Old 09-16-2022, 09:01 AM   #6
'32FordNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
I see you have the most important tool for aligning Ford sheetmetal sitting right there on your air cleaner.
Yes, I used the radiator hammer and a piece of towel to help align the bottom radiator and pushing the hose in. I'm working by myself and I'm glad they make a radiator hammer, they come in real handy!! LOL
Old 09-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #7
'32FordNut

WOW, got her done. 3 guys and 3 hours. I finally have the hood somewhat aligned. The only problem is the cowl lace isn't thick enough and the hood droops lower than the cowl. When I fold a rag and stick it in there, it comes up really nice. I'll try to get new lace and if that doesn't work, I'll shimmy the lace so it raises to the correct height. When someone says they have 8-10 hours into aligning the hood, believe them. It's a nightmare taking that hood and shell off 15 times. Thanks for all the help and I'll send a pic later today.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:51 AM   #8
DavidG

Please do not start pulling your hair out if over time the lacing is further compressed and the hood moves further down. Between gravity and the springs in the hood latches, the soft white core lacing available these days will compress more quickly and to a much greater extent than the original hard dark brown core lacing (no longer available due its environmentally-unfriendly manufacturing process).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:28 PM   #9
'32FordNut

Thanks DavidG, maybe I won't even waste my money then. The lacing is only 10 years old but has less than 50 miles on it since restoration and has been in my shop the entire time since my uncle did the frame off. It still looks brans spanking new. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. Here's a picture of it I just took. Maybe it doesn't look as bad as I think since I'm so anal about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 3-W Buttoned up.jpg (61.2 KB, 120 views)
Old 09-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #10
tubman

Wrap it up! I'll take it!

Looks great to me.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #11
1942deluxe

Looks nice!
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #12
Krylon32

I've shimmed the hood lacing with some small vacuum hose placed in the channel under the lacing. Kind of a crude fix but the black hose on my black car doesn't really show if your not looking.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #13
5851a

Looks very nice in the pic. Watch some of the old videos of assembly, the guys in the videos were the best guys they had for the shoot. Your fit looks to be better than I would expect on a low-priced car at the time.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:50 PM   #14
BoxCar Tom

When we built my roadster the hood top on the drivers side was down better than a half inch. Had the correct hard lacing. The back hood hook was loose at the catch. Everything painted. We tried a couple of different things, nothing worked. Finally, nothing to lose, got drastic. Cut two 4x4 wood uprights placed them on the frame just in front of the firewall legs. Cut another 4x4 wood crossbeam, put that on top of the uprights. Then used an eight foot 4x4 as a lever. Placed the lever on top of the crossbeam and the tip of the lever under the edge of the firewall, where the lacing fits in a grove. After just a few light pulls we were able to lift (adjust) the edge of the firewall to achieve correct hood alignment. Didn't even break the paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadster DSCN3388.jpg (102.2 KB, 73 views)
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:42 PM   #15
Lawson Cox

Whatever works I always say. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Good looking 32.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:52 PM   #16
'32FordNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
When we built my roadster the hood top on the drivers side was down better than a half inch. Had the correct hard lacing. The back hood hook was loose at the catch. Everything painted. We tried a couple of different things, nothing worked. Finally, nothing to lose, got drastic. Cut two 4x4 wood uprights placed them on the frame just in front of the firewall legs. Cut another 4x4 wood crossbeam, put that on top of the uprights. Then used an eight foot 4x4 as a lever. Placed the lever on top of the crossbeam and the tip of the lever under the edge of the firewall, where the lacing fits in a grove. After just a few light pulls we were able to lift (adjust) the edge of the firewall to achieve correct hood alignment. Didn't even break the paint.
Thanks Tom! I like Krylon32's idea (#12) about some small tubing under the lacing. I think I'm going to try that first since it's easier for me with less experience than you guys out here have. Love your '32. I have one just like it, black with green striping and wheels, original V8 and vin is a 18- number.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #17
'32FordNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Whatever works I always say. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Good looking 32.
Yes there is, but I have all these skins with my attempts <LOL>!! Love your truck. I'm trying to get a 59AB engine in my '33 truck and get the banger out of it. I love trucks and yours looks awesome, nice setup. V8??
Old 09-20-2022, 06:58 PM   #18
'32FordNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Wrap it up! I'll take it!

Looks great to me.
LOL, thank you Sir!!
Old 09-20-2022, 07:06 PM   #19
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:06 PM   #20
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by '32FordNut View Post
Thanks DavidG, maybe I won't even waste my money then. The lacing is only 10 years old but has less than 50 miles on it since restoration and has been in my shop the entire time since my uncle did the frame off. It still looks brans spanking new. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. Here's a picture of it I just took. Maybe it doesn't look as bad as I think since I'm so anal about it.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote