Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
denniskliesen

Default V8oil pump

If I were to buy a new oil pump, what should I look for? I realize Ford had several different pumps through the production years and not looking for an old pump. One of the new pumps I’ve seen offered by a local vendor have the housing half of the gear and bottom half the other area for the gear. Is this pump better than the pump that had a plate in the bottom?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: V8oil pump

Generally, the 8BA pump is a better choice, even in an earlier engine. You will have to modify the oil pickup tube, but the helical gears and internal pressure relief system are superior to earlier pumps. Also, original Ford pumps are best. On my last build, I installed a new pump from Speedway, and was quite disappointed to see that it would produce a maximum pressure of 40 psi (Ford spec is 57 psi) in a fresh build. Simply replacing it with a tested good used Ford pump brought the pressure back up to spec. Also, stay away from hi-volume pumps unless you are building a strictly race engine with increased clearances (or maybe trying to get an old oil burner running without replacing the bearings).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:34 PM   #3
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
If I were to buy a new oil pump, what should I look for? I realize Ford had several different pumps through the production years and not looking for an old pump. One of the new pumps I’ve seen offered by a local vendor have the housing half of the gear and bottom half the other area for the gear. Is this pump better than the pump that had a plate in the bottom?
The pump you are describing sounds like a high volume pump. You don't need that one.

As Tubman mentioned, an 8BA-style pump will be fine. You'll just need to make you have the right pick up so it sits correctly near the bottom of your pan.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:12 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Speeway does sell the right pickup for the 49-53 pump to use it in a 38-48 oil pan (at least most of them). I used to have to cut and weld them up - much easier to just buy the dang thing. I don't like Speedway's repop pumps - would prefer an original unit or a Mellings.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote