Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
Graham Freeman

Default 1933-34 Cabriolet Top fastening to body.

I need a little help on the fastenings for the top canvas to the upper body on my cabriolet.
From the remnants I kept when disassembling a couple of years back (33 years ago to be exact) there appears to have been a total of 19 fixings that screwed thru the belt mold and into the upper body behind where the top folds into.
These consist starting from the door (on either side), of a screw thread fastener (not sure if this is a long or short fixing? but most likely a long one) then 4 short fixings that are tapped into the body, followed by long threaded screw fixing then 3 short fixings with screw threads then a central (long or short?) screw threaded fastener then it repeats to the other side bringing up a total of 19 fixings.
I presume the long fixings are for when the top boot is used.
Am I correct here?
I would like to know the distance apart for the 2 long ones above the rumble opening and also a distance in for the first one (either side).
I have a series of holes in my body but the distance seems to vary from side to side for the first ones and the ones above the rumble are not symmetrical.
I hope someone can help?
Thanks
Graham
Graham Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1933-34 Cabriolet Top fastening to body.

You don't mention whether your cabriolet was Canadian or U.S. sourced, but I don't think it makes a difference with regard to how the top was attached to the quarter and upper back panels.

The only threaded fasteners used originally were seven male fasteners for the top boot which were installed through the hidem welting once the top was installed. The top, including the rear curtain was fastened with tacks into a pressed paper insert in the metal channel that runs from B pillar to B pillar and then covered with hidem welting.

Judging from the uneven spacing of the holes that you have and that you make no mention of the original steel channel, it would seem that your top was replaced in the distant past at the whim of the installer and did not replicate the original fastening of the top.

Last edited by DavidG; 05-08-2019 at 11:18 PM. Reason: spelling
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Graham Freeman

Hi David,
Car was Californian sourced in 1984.
It had the metal channel in place with remnants of the paper insert still in place.
I am unaware of any replacement for this piece and have laminated a thin timber strip to replace this.
The body itself has not been mucked around with where the fastenings go and there were 4 threaded fasteners either side (obviously to prevent damage to the top material when folded down as against screws protruding).
What you say makes sense, by way of the 7 male fasteners from pictures I can find, 3 above the rumble lid and 2 either side making a total of 7.
The others that I have then must have been installed when the top was replaced at sometime and fixing into the paper strip was unable to be achieved due to deterioration.
What i need then is location measurements for the front fasteners by the B pillar and the spacing for the others above the rumble, obviously one will be central.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #4

Both of my '34 cabriolets had the metal channel.
It was missing on the cars when I got them.
After consulting with several top upholsters I decided to make the proper channels so that the top would not come apart later on. There is a LOT of stress on these channels since they hold the top on under tension.
I made three sets of the channels. 2 for my cars and one for a friend.
Each channel was made in sections, top and bottom, about 6 inches long then TIG welded together.
It was labor intensive but worth the effort, probably 20-30hrs in each one.
You might look for someone with a press brake to make some blanks for you.
Then you have to have access to shrinkers and stretchers to get the curves correct.
I would not cut corners on this.
Good luck.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Graham Freeman

What did you use for the insert?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:09 AM   #6
Terry,OH

Someone used strips of plastic. I think they cut Azek molding using a table saw to the desired dimensions and filled the metal channel. One problem with Azek it comes in white not black, it can be painted.. When they reported back they said the tacks held very tightly into the Azek. Azek is available in most building supply stores.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:01 AM   #7
DavidG

LeBaron Bonney used to offer a black plastic strip in several different sizes for that purpose and it really holds tacks. While they are no longer in business surely someone else offers the same material (Restoration Supplies?).
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
Karl Wescott

Kanter Auto Products lists a tack strip filler replacement. https://www.kanter.com/ecatalog/00080.html
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #9

I bought it from Bob Drake. He sells several different widths.
The material was very tight in the channel and held the tops tight to the body.
I secured the channel to the body with rivets on one car and spot TIG welded the other one.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #10
Graham Freeman

I did order some of the plastic strip from LeBaron.
After 6 months and repeated excuses it finally turned up and was incorrect from what was ordered just prior to them closing up.
I will try Kanter as the 5/16" x 5/8" is the correct size as the original channel and will see how things turn out from there.
I would still like approx measurements for location of the 7 male fasteners for the top boot as per DavidG 's post above.
Thankyou
Old 05-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
Graham Freeman

Sorry make that 3/16" x 5/8" as the correct size.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
cdan34

Back in '67 I purchased a '34 Cabriolet body, no top, irons or tack strip. I made the strip out of steam bent hardwood and formed that to body contour. Riveted them on, made a good base for the top. The restoration took 6 years, the car has 35,000 mi. Top is still fastened well, looks good.
cdan34 is offline   Reply With Quote