Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Royal Ryser

Default Bad day

I just "finished" my 36 Tudor restoration and went down to State Farm to get the insured value increased. State Farm took some pics and made a fuss over how nice the car is. By now, I'm feeling pretty smug about the whole thing, and so glad the restoration is over.
When I got home, my wife pointed to the right front fender and said, "What's this?". Somebody had backed into the car and dented the fender while I was at State Farm!! Also creased the fender above the tire. Not big, just nasty.
I called State Farm and told them about it. One agent said, "Yeah, a white PU did that." He didn't actually see the accident, was on the other side of the car when it happened. He heard it but didn't realize what had happened.
So, after years of restoring the car, the first time I drive it I get hit. I had a collision and have a $250 deductible!
SHIT!!
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Bad day

There is always a fool driver out there when you least expect it. Definitely a bad day. The work for upkeep never really seems to end.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
petehoovie

Does your State Farm store have an outside video camera?....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 08-07-2018 at 10:40 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
19Fordy

Never fails. The minute you have something nice, someone else makes it "un-nice".
That's why I always have anxiety about buying a new car.

You would have thought that "the good hands agent" would have been a bit more curious. Be sure to read your insurance policy about "Stated Value" vs. "Agreed value".
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
B-O-B

Make out a police report you seem to have witness that heard it happen. There is also hit & run involved. Was the driver of the white PU in to see State Farm?
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
Graeme / New Zealand

I know how you feel to a degree. I got my v8 back on the road after it had at least a 40 year hiatus and took it down to the local vehicle inspection depot to have it complied...a few minor jobs to get it to pass, took it to a mechanic friend to have one a job done that needed a hoist. It's getting backed out of his workshop ready to go back to the Inspectors to get its plates and crunch the driver puts a crease in the right rear fender with a pillar in the workshop....very annoying indeed. By the way the "fool driver" as rotorwrench puts it in his post and the person that made it "un-nice" as 19Fordy aptly puts it was me. I only had myself to blame and was pissed off with myself, but it pisses you off even more when it is someone elses fault and they just "sneak away" without telling you.

I hope you can track down the "sackbag" that did this.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
Tinker

I get it. But if your not trailer'ng it. You'll get some battle scars.

Wiped some dirt off my black head light. Guess what? scratches. ugh.

Bummer though. I like to put the dents in personally.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Does you State Farm store have an outside video camera?....

Check all video cameras in the area that point in the direction of the State Farm office. Probably someone's camera caught it.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Ryser View Post
One agent said, "Yeah, a white PU did that." He didn't actually see the accident, was on the other side of the car when it happened. He heard it but didn't realize what had happened.
SHIT!!

Probably you're agents white truck

Bummer, track it down.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #10
J Franklin

Find out if the truck was insured by SF. Check any camera footage and place an advertisement to locate the hit and run driver, inform the police.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
texas webb

Did the agent think to get info or license on the white truck??????
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas webb View Post
Did the agent think to get info or license on the white truck??????
That's what I was thinking. Might be a good time to switch to an office with an agent that has a measurable IQ.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
flatford8

Sorry it happened but hopefully this takes off the curse of having a vehicle you worked so hard for...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #14
revkev6

if your state farm has it's own parking lot/area I'd be grilling them who was in that insures a white pickup with them that day.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
19Fordy

I like "Kube's" idea.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #16
RalphM

There are a bunch of crazy a$$ drivers out there! Seems like you have to be extra careful and an old car, I’ve had so many instances of people pulling out in front of me. I guess they don’t realize my brakes are 80 years old!
Just yesterday in my daily driver on the way to work, a guy ran a stop sign doing about 40 and another idiot in a Mustang thought he was Richard Petty on the freeway.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #17
Sal

I'm sorry to hear about your car getting hit by some A hole. The world is full of idiots who have no regard for others property. Get as much information as you can from different security cameras in the area. Contact the police, have them make out an accident report and speak to the S.F. agent that saw the incident. I love driving my old cars but the idiots out there take the fun out of it. Good Luck, Don't let the S.O.Bs. ruin what you enjoy!
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
scicala

Royal,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you find the culprit, and things get resolved. If it was in Michigan with the no-fault insurance laws, the guy that hit you would be liable for the total repair cost (his insurance company), as long as your car was legally parked without you in it. Problem is, you would need to catch the guy.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #19
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
There are a bunch of crazy a$$ drivers out there! Seems like you have to be extra careful and an old car, I’ve had so many instances of people pulling out in front of me. I guess they don’t realize my brakes are 80 years old!
Just yesterday in my daily driver on the way to work, a guy ran a stop sign doing about 40 and another idiot in a Mustang thought he was Richard Petty on the freeway.
I'd go for Frank Bullitt seeing that car was a Mustang.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #20
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your car getting hit by some A hole. The world is full of idiots who have no regard for others property. Get as much information as you can from different security cameras in the area. Contact the police, have them make out an accident report and speak to the S.F. agent that saw the incident. I love driving my old cars but the idiots out there take the fun out of it. Good Luck, Don't let the S.O.Bs. ruin what you enjoy!
you really don't know these days. I was driving home yesterday and decided I would help my wife out and pickup my son from day camp on the way home. head towards camp and a newer F150 back right out in front of me. I slam on my brakes thankful that I wasn't in my roadster with considerably less stopping power. the truck zooms away in front of me as I'm grumbling at him. we go around the corner and there's a huge plume of dirt and dust in the air. I look through it and see a 2000's era caddy taking off from the side of the road without a right rear tire. the caddy runs and the truck chases! caddy runs right by my sons daycamp so I call 911 when I stop... cops were like.. oh we will send someone by to look...
there's a civilian car chase going on and someone will look...
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #21
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post
you really don't know these days. I was driving home yesterday and decided I would help my wife out and pickup my son from day camp on the way home. head towards camp and a newer F150 back right out in front of me. I slam on my brakes thankful that I wasn't in my roadster with considerably less stopping power. the truck zooms away in front of me as I'm grumbling at him. we go around the corner and there's a huge plume of dirt and dust in the air. I look through it and see a 2000's era caddy taking off from the side of the road without a right rear tire. the caddy runs and the truck chases! caddy runs right by my sons daycamp so I call 911 when I stop... cops were like.. oh we will send someone by to look...
there's a civilian car chase going on and someone will look...
If that was the same truck that almost backed into you could of been after his Cadillac that was just carjacked with his kids in it . You never know .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:30 AM   #22
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggmac View Post
If that was the same truck that almost backed into you could of been after his Cadillac that was just carjacked with his kids in it . You never know .
He might have been on the run from a Colorado hit-n-run charge from backing into an old Ford that some guy went and shined all up like new.