Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #21
BILL WZOREK

Default Re: Old Henry Where are You?

Henry:

You home or are you still going making up for lost time / LOL lol LOL
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
Old Henry

My trip was delayed a day waiting for a new bearing the better machinist thought ought to be replaced so I just had an overnighter leaving Thursday night and coming back Friday morning. Still got in 300 miles.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #23
motordr

"The better the oil the longer the bearings may last. I've switched to Mobile 1 full synthetic 10W-30 multi-vis rather than the NAPA S.A.E. 30 I have been running. And, change the oil more often since the filter does not filter all of the oil. I've been changing oil and filter every 5,000 miles. I'll probably switch to 2,500 for the oil and 5,000 for the filter. "End of quote.

I was taught that changing your oil and leaving the old filter is like washing your feet and putting on dirty socks back on.

Last edited by motordr; 11-08-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Quote marks
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #24
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordr View Post
"The better the oil the longer the bearings may last. I've switched to Mobile 1 full synthetic 10W-30 multi-vis rather than the NAPA S.A.E. 30 I have been running. And, change the oil more often since the filter does not filter all of the oil. I've been changing oil and filter every 5,000 miles. I'll probably switch to 2,500 for the oil and 5,000 for the filter. "End of quote.

I was taught that changing your oil and leaving the old filter is like washing your feet and putting on dirty socks back on.
You may be right. I just thought since the filter didn't actually get used much by not filtering all of the oil it would probably still be OK for another round. I may change my mind on that. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #25
ccnelson

It's good so see that you are on the road again. Enjoy the miles and I am looking forward to pictures and videos. Craig
ccnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #26
Ross F-1

As clean as the insides of your engine are to start with, Prof, changing the filter every other oil change isn't going to hurt a thing. With a full-flow filter there is a lot more oil inside the canister than there is with our bypass filters. As I recall, your canister even has an oil drain, doesn't it?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #27
Lanny

One good tip is to keep your old filter and whatever dirty oil is in it, and you can
save a couple bucks. So what if your New Oil is now contaminated somewhat.

Another good tip is to turn your underware inside out, instead of changing into new ones, to save a couple bucks. So what if you don't smell to good after that.

Sometimes saving a couple bucks now, costs you in many ways in the longrun.
Glad you got Old Henry back on the road, and having fun with it.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #28
BILL WZOREK

Henry:
So lets say 70% of the oil gets filtered ( just using that % for this example )
why don't we just change 30% of the oil~~ LOL LOL ~~
I don't know about you but to me there is nothing feels as nice as a new pair of socks !!
Filters are not that expensive /// Try using your coffee filter a 2nd time how's that coffee taste.
Old Henry deserves a new SOCK (AKA FILTER ) every oil change.
And as you know the BARN will provide a lot of opinions such as I have just provided, but in the end it is you car and your choice in what you do.

NOW GET AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER AND START YOUR ( and our ) NEXT ADVENTURE !!
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #29
johnny

I think I have read all the posts but maybe missed the answer .What was causing the vibration ?
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #30
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
I think I have read all the posts but maybe missed the answer .What was causing the vibration ?
It turned out that quite a bit of balancing needed doing all around.
One of the connecting rods was "odd" and weighed 30 grams less than the rest, so some metal had to come off of all the rest to get them all the same weight. (Metal taken off of the bottom edge of the connecting rod caps.)

The crankshaft also needed quite a bit of "adjusting" to be balanced. (Note holes drilled to remove metal to balance)

It's no wonder such needed doing when the original crank was missing a chunk of metal at one point from casting problems.

Then there was the new clutch I just bought from Fort Wayne Clutch that needed weight added to two flanges to get it in balance.

The flywheel was balanced then indexed with the clutch to put together so they'd be balanced together.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #31
A bones

My Spin-On the way it was, when time to change oil.

Apples Oranges / The wrong end of the telescope / or this is not the world in which our flat heads grew up. Back then pennies mattered. We went to the bank on Friday to get our spending money for the week. Oil though, was cheap and canister filters were not too costly. The bigger deal was the labor of cleaning out the bucket. They also knew that a by-pass filter was a mere crutch. As full flow canister filters were introduced, we still wanted to avoid the labor and, sealing challenges. So in the name of saving pennies we still looked to changing every other time. Finally (too late for our precious flat heads though) they developed cartridge filters at three times the cost of a canister element. Counting pennies again led to skipping every other.

So here we are today trying to keep these jewels ticking along at five times their life expectancy. We drive in traffic that thinks it's NASCAR at speed limits a good 15 MPH above what any state highway allowed back when. Then there are the pennies, just swipe plastic on any corner. Pass out fives like they are dollars etc.

Okay Synthetic oil is long life but me personally if a quality filter is not available when I change (daily driver) my oil I'll dump that synthetic between 3 + 4 thousand, rather than run with clogged filter. To sum up I say, years ago as well as today, fresh filters and fresh oil (and MMO in the tank) are the cheapest way to keep any car young.

Sorry if I sound preachy it's just the way I was raised. In a grease pit with hot drain oil running down my arms every morning.

Last edited by A bones; 11-09-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Time lapse required a new title to be cohesive
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #32
Mike in AZ

good to see you're back on the road and humming along smoothly....neat motel.....where is it??....thanks....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #33
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
good to see you're back on the road and humming along smoothly....neat motel.....where is it??....thanks....Mike
Fillmore, Utah. Right across the street from the original capitol building for the Utah Territory.