Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
cdan34

Default Columbia freeze

Columbia freeze
I was on my way to the L.A Roadster show with my '34 Cabriolet and 55 mi out, what I believe, was the rear end locked up, fortunately I got over to the side of the hwy and was trailered home ok. Before leaving the oil level was checked. It was bulletproofed and had pull out axels with bearing retainer on backing plate. This set up had about 7000 mi. on it and ran great. Before I tear into this I'd like to know if anyone has had this problem with the Columbia ?

cdan34
cdan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Columbia freeze

I've never had that problem, but if it were mine, I'd get under there and take the vacuum canister off and manually shift it a few times, and drain the oil as well checking for any metal. Just manually shifting it may resolve the problem. After draining it, put your finger in the drain hole and see if you can feel anything sitting on the bottom. As in pieces?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Did the thing fully lock up while driving, as in skid to a stop with both rear wheels not rotating?? Are they still locked solid?
While locking up is scary, I think it would be mechanically even scarier if they had unlocked before car stopped...that would probably mean MUCH more hardware reduced to shrapnel.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
hotcoupe

i had a conversation at the roadster show with the guys from hot rod works about changing my columbia to use slip in axles and bolt on bearing cages. they advised me not to do it, they said that there have been some problems with coulmbia axles that have been modified in that way. they believe the brass thrust washer is the root of the problem. maybe they will chime in on this.
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
cdan34

I found the problem today. After many thousands of miles and good service, there must have been an inadequate oil supply to the driver side end gear which is locked or galled in the ring gear. When rebuilding I'll give the counterbore in the ring a little more clearance and die grind some spiral oil grooves. Otherwise the Columbia with the later axels has worked fine for me.
Thanks for the replies.

Chuck
cdan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Russ/40

Thanks for letting us know the problem.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
CWPASADENA

Question Re: Columbia freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdan34 View Post
I found the problem today. After many thousands of miles and good service, there must have been an inadequate oil supply to the driver side end gear which is locked or galled in the ring gear. Chuck
Question????

Was there a brass thrust washer between the thrust side of the L/H Axle (or side gear) and the ring gear face?

If not, while operating in overdrive, the axles are turning at a different (faster) RPM then the ring gear and the thrust face of the axles need a brass thrust washer to keep them from gauling and wearing into the face of the ring gear. The brass thrust washer for the R/H Axle is rivited to the planet gear pin retainer but the L/H thrust washer is a loose piece that is often left out during assembly if a person is not familar with Columbia Overdrive Units.

Ask me how I know!

Chris

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 06-26-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
STEVE O

Hi Are you using a kit to use the ford pickup axles and bearings? What side gears are you using. I was also told you could not use this setup. Does the outside diameter of the pickup axles need to be turned down to slip thru the columbia sungear side? What all needs to be modified to do this?Thanks
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
CWPASADENA

Just a word of caution when changing oil or initially filling a Columbia.

1. Fill with oil until the level is at the bottom of the fill plug hole of the Columbia Housing.(NOT the Ford center section)

2. With both rear wheels off the ground, run the car with the Columbia in DIRECT AT ABOUT 20 mph for a few minutes. (5 MINUTES MIN. FOR INITIAL FILL)

3. Check oil level and top off as necessary.

4. Run the car in OVERDRIVE for a few more minutes.

5. Again, check oil level and top off as necessary.

6. Put car on the ground, You are good to go.

Always check oil level at the fill plug hole in the COLUMBIA HOUSING.

Recomended lube, 85-90 Gear Lube (Not 85-140, TOO THICK)

DO NOT operate your Columbia if it is low on oil.

Happy Motoring

Chris

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 06-27-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: NOT COMPLETED
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote