Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #21
Franchise_24

Default Re: Fire damage to my Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
I have JC Taylor ins. They have been very helpful so far, the adjuster comes out monday. I have no idea where to get the top done. I live in central Minnesota, anyone have an idea? I suppose Minneapolis may have someone who can do it, thats about 3 hours away. I did notice some surface rust under the fenders that had been clean before the fire. Its amazing how the smoke corrodes the metal so soon, I washed it with soap as soon as possible too.

That's weird that you had to have an adjuster come out. I have JC Taylor and no one ever came out when I had my "accident". I was backing the A out of the barn and caught the drivers side front fender and tore it up. I just had to go get the estimate and fax it in, and boom, check was there to get it fixed. Then I just had to send pictures to them to show it was fixed to get my coverage dollars back up to what it was prior.

Neal

Last edited by Franchise_24; 12-17-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Your bumpers should be CHROME, but the rest of the bright work should be nickel. For sure you want to replate your original parts. I've seen different quality radiator shells, and the one I bought about 20 years ago is one of the better ones and it's nickel, but it still doesn't compare to an original. The same goes for lights. Original renickeled headlamps are much nicer looking than the repro's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #23
eagle

Thanks for all the advice.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #24
Keith True

What has the insurance company said they are going to pay you? With the damage at $14,800,and the insured value at $12,000,in their eyes that is a total.They pay you the agreed amount and they own the car.With antique cars it is a little different on the buy-back chance you are offered with a modern car.With antiques they stand a very good chance of recovering most,if not all of their money on something like that.You get to bid just like anybody else.I bid on a roadster that was drowned in the mothers day floods we had in the northeast about 6 years ago.I think the owner was insured for around $10,000,he felt he could buy it back for about half and redo it over himself.I bid around $10,500 and was beat,and by a street rod shop at that.Have they actually told you they would pay you the limit and let you keep the car?I for one,would be VERY happy for you,and I would be buying a bunch of lottery tickets.I did see it happen with a friends 57 T-bird,the damage was within a couple of thousand of a total.After the shop got into it they discovered damage to the cowl that took it over the limit.I know the shop,I feel they discovered the damage early on but waited until they had enough into it so that it would not have been feasible for them to pay off the shop and take it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #25
Tinbasher

Keep to the original parts. Remember aftermarket stands for "All Most fits"

If the insurance wants to Write-off the vehicle. See if you can keep the car and get a cash settlement. The Damaged car should be worth 20 - 30% of value.

Take your time and you'll come out ahead.

J.Poole The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #26
eagle

Yeah.... I guess I didn't think it through. The garage insurance company is giving me big troubles, they won't pay out decently. The electrician's quote was $1600 and the insurance is willing to pay out $200. Who ever heard of an electrician coming out and completely rewiring a garage for $200?!! I thought the $1600 figure was cheap. Its Progressive. My advice would be STAY AWAY FROM THEM! I saved $300 a year by switching to them, in the end its going to cost me thousands. Hopefully I come out a little better on the A. I forgot about the "total" deal, I see another headache coming.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #27
1931 flamingo

There are private insurance appraisers that could probably jack that estimate up 3 x's AND fight with the ins co for you and get it Sometimes you get what you pay for and ain't advertising wonderful. Can't stand the progressive ad girl. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
There are private insurance appraisers that could probably jack that estimate up 3 x's AND fight with the ins co for you and get it Sometimes you get what you pay for and ain't advertising wonderful. Can't stand the progressive ad girl. JMO
Paul in CT
Ditto, and I dropped Progerssive 10 years ago.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #29
Ed in Maine

Sorry to hear about your fire damage. After all your work, the cars become part of you. I use the breakers in my garage to kill the power to the building when I leave it. When I return, I flip the breakers on and the lights and my classical music come on and I am ready to pickup where I left off. Good luck with your repairs. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote