Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
freddie

Default 40/41 1 ton truck rear-end pinion gear removal

Need some assistance please. Dismantled this rear-end but do not know how to remove this pinion gear. I will appreciate any assistance from you. From the exploded drawing I have, the is two conical roller bearings facing in opposite directions. the outer roller bearing came out but the race is still in position. I assume that this race needs to be removed first but will rather seek advice.

Further, I have tried to upload the photo but seemingly I cannot manage it.

Thanks
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 40/41 1 ton truck rear-end pinion gear removal

It's a press fit just like a normal banjo is it not?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
expavr

Default Re: 40/41 1 ton truck rear-end pinion gear removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Need some assistance please. Dismantled this rear-end but do not know how to remove this pinion gear. I will appreciate any assistance from you. From the exploded drawing I have, the is two conical roller bearings facing in opposite directions. the outer roller bearing came out but the race is still in position. I assume that this race needs to be removed first but will rather seek advice.

Further, I have tried to upload the photo but seemingly I cannot manage it.

Thanks
Freddie. Its been a while since I did this, but as I recall the pinion bearing housing which includes both races, the bearings and the pinion shaft and gear pulls out as a unit. You should see a parting line between the flange on the differential housing and the flange on the pinion bearing housing. You will need to separate the pinion bearing housing from the differential housing by pulling it out. It was a bugger to get out and required using heat on the outside of the housing along with an attachment with a stout threaded puller that we fabricated for the job. Since you're going to the trouble of doing this I would recommend you consider installing a set of 4.11 gears to replace the OEM 4.86 gears. I found them at Chucks Trucks https://www.chuckstrucksllc.com/. He also gave me some good advice on the whole exercise including how to set the pinion bearing preloads and reinstall the bearing housing (chill bearing housing in the refrigerator and heat the axle housing). There is a bronze bushing surface mounted on the axle housing that you should check for wear while its apart. It stabilizes the ring gear at higher RPM.
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote