Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Cecil/WV

Default So sad!

Yesterday, after trying NAPA with no luck, I went to the Carquest warehouse in Winchester, Va. to get the 3 bearings for an overdrive transmission. They had what I needed, 2 with outside snap ring an one without. The ones with the outside ring were National Brand made in China and the one without the ring was made in the USA, however, the US built bearing was in an older format box. I suggested to the clerk that it was obviously in stock for a while. They were sympathetic with me in my sadness that we can't even make a bearing in this country, anymore.

It's been coming for a long time. I replaced the ring gear carrier bearings on a '74 IH school bus years ago and it came from the factory with foreign bearings, but the replacement bearings I bought from an IH dealer were US made at that time.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Ed Solari

Default Re: So sad!

I have noticed that Carquest is usually real good about having USA parts...I agree with you about Napa they seem to have more chinese parts. See if Carquest has your bearing and post result...I know I am curious if my observation is correct
Ed Solari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
FHFD

Importing and exporting should be balanced, unfortunately with our indebtness to China, and cheap labor in most all of the other foreign countries, it is becoming more lopsided. I agree, it is truly sad, particularily when considering our state of the economy, unemployment, home foreclosures, etc. I am an American, I choose to buy products made by Americans, in American factories..if only I could. I apologize to this forum, in advance if I crossed over the line on politics.

Last edited by FHFD; 01-18-2011 at 10:27 AM.
FHFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Solari View Post
I have noticed that Carquest is usually real good about having USA parts...I agree with you about Napa they seem to have more chinese parts. See if Carquest has your bearing and post result...I know I am curious if my observation is correct
If you will read my post again you will see that I got my bearings from Carquest, of which 2 were Chinese.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
V12Bill

I ordered a master cylinder from my local NAPA store about 2 months ago. When it was delivered to my store I noticed that it was made in China and refused to take it . They kept 10% of the price of the master cylinder from my deposit money for a restocking fee. I was had and I won't be had by them again as I refuse to buy any more NAPA parts. There are too many competitors to put up with that nonsence. Unfortunatly they sell Chinese parts also.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Solari View Post

I believe NAPA has two different lines or level of parts. One, off-shore that is one price and their "premium" or up-charge part that is of better quality and usually, US-made.

I'm not 100% certain about this, but I believe that is what NAPA counter guy told me a few years ago when I was complaining about foreign-made junk parts.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
I ordered a master cylinder from my local NAPA store about 2 months ago. When it was delivered to my store I noticed that it was made in China and refused to take it . They kept 10% of the price of the master cylinder from my deposit money for a restocking fee. I was had and I won't be had by them again as I refuse to buy any more NAPA parts. There are too many competitors to put up with that nonsence. Unfortunatly they sell Chinese parts also.
My local NAPA store wouldn't charge me a restocking fee.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

It is sad. I worked for a company that used millions of bearings every year in their product. About 10 years before I retired we were using most all Japanese bearings. As I was about to retire we were testing Chinese bearings to use in our products. By the time I actually retired all of our product was being made in China. We don't have jobs in this country because most of the manufacturing is now done off shore. In light of all that I still say God Bless America....... what's left of it.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt/Las Vegas View Post
My local NAPA store wouldn't charge me a restocking fee.

You need to find another NAPA. I'm lucky to have three that are close but in different directions. Not only will they swap stock with each other, but the region warehouse is within a days drive.

They'll get not in stock part the following day and have never charges a restocking fee if I refuse a part.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Flathead

If I remember correctly, the rear bearing in a 12volt Ford generator was made in Japan. This would be right before they changed to an alternator. This has been coming on for a long time, and we have to get used to it. All I ask is that outsourced parts are of a reasonable quality, many of them are.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
John Mc

Same with me & my NAPA. Great counter guys, they would NEVER charge me a re-stock fee. I've even had destroyed cores - no problem. Love NAPA.
On the other hand years ago I, just on a lark, stopped in a Auto-zone to see if by chance they might be able to order a set of plugs for my Model T. After voicing my need, the counter boy replied, "Who made that?" I left an uncomfortable moment pass and then simply turned and walked out.
'56 Lincoln Capri Hardtop
'77 Lincoln Town Coupe
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
rotorwrench

I don't care where the part comes from. I just care about the quality of the part. After all, it's for a high quality FoMoCo automobile that was made back when everyone outside the USA still liked our products.

The best we can hope for is that the 3rd world will catch up enough in pay scale to even things out. It will then be profitable to make stuff in the USA again.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
George/Maine

I had to get brake calipers for the 1999 explorer and noticed the boxs only said NAPA.
I guess they got tired of people wanting to buy usa stuff.
Untill the enviremental wacks lighten up and our real estate prices come down we will not make anything.These guy buying parts over seas are just sitting back smoking cigars.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Rocketsled

Default Re: Good bearings

You want good bearings? Well then, go to a bearing and power transission house. Someplace with 'Bearing' in the name would be a good place to start. Applied Industrial Technologies, Bearing Distributors, Kaman Industrial Technologies and Motion Industries all have quality bearings, as well as the Chinese junk.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
Mike in Mass

Unhappy Re: So sad!

I know this is off topic, I,m a stonemason here in New England ,currently working on a state bridge prodject. All 714 granite blocks I am setting, are from china ( 3600 lbs each) must still be cheaper than getting a hundred miles away in VTor NH GO FIGURE !
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Mass View Post
I know this is off topic, I,m a stonemason here in New England ,currently working on a state bridge prodject. All 714 granite blocks I am setting, are from china ( 3600 lbs each) must still be cheaper than getting a hundred miles away in VTor NH GO FIGURE !

Wow, really? Now that is just so freakin' sad.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
Flathead

Granite blocks from China..........Amazing!
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
Marv

Angry Re: So sad!

I guess we will be buying our tombstones from China next. I am glad i already have mine. I thought it was a spokesman for Russia that said "WE WILL BURY YOU' Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
Junkyard Dog

ok now that i heard all this offshore bs how many of you guys own jap cars? they're full of offshore parts!!
Junkyard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #20
Marv

I do not know about the rest of the guys but all i own is U.S.A. made full sized, but i do not know how many foreign parts are involved. I also own a Victory Motorcycle that is supposedly all american parts and U.S.A. made in Minnesota. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote