Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2022, 10:48 AM   #1
Slowmotoring

Default 1929 model A Tudor value

Does anyone know of a site or way to come up with a somewhat accurate value for selling my 1929 model A Tudor? i know its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. i have looked at a few sites and have seen prices all over the place. it was restored in the mid 90's and has had very little use since it was restored. it has some paint blemishes and chips as the old paint is starting to show its age. the interior is beautiful but lacking the floor mats. runs and drives good. i have the hood but the two top sections need to be painted since the previous owner was in the process of installing the proper hood before he past and didnt get to painting it. i will upload some some photos later this weekend. all stock with the exception of a down draft carburetor.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:13 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: 1929 model A Tudor value

from what youre saying

7500-10000. finish the hood etc and maybe 12500. for a very nice car.

check ebay sold for recent comparisons
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:25 AM   #3
Bob C

Here is a link to Epay sold auctions, there are only two cars.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks...&LH_Complete=1
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
jb-ob

SlowMo...

Check out 'Bring a Trailer' for previous listings.

'BAT' does have some rules about the car listed and the necessary photography, but they do seem to bring the best prices.

Good Luck,
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #5
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Here is a link to Epay sold auctions, there are only two cars.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks...&LH_Complete=1
I would compare your car to this one that sold on e-bay. This car had some issues.

Does your car have less or more issues?

Also, what’s your definition of restored?

Good luck.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
nkaminar

The asking price is never the selling price. Some cars are put on places like Craigs List at an inflated price in the hope that some unwitting person will buy it. BAT lists the selling price and the link above lists the selling price on eBay.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:50 AM   #7
Chris in WNC

Asking price is SOMETIMES the selling price, depending on the transaction and how realistic the price is.

We bought back our Town Sedan in 2020 at what I considered an inflated price since it was our favorite and a known quantity.

One year later we sold it for the same price to a buyer who was familiar with the history of the car and knew 2 of the 3 previous owners.

Asking price was selling price both times.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:57 AM   #8
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
Asking price is SOMETIMES the selling price, depending on the transaction and how realistic the price is.

We bought back our Town Sedan in 2020 at what I considered an inflated price since it was our favorite and a known quantity.

One year later we sold it for the same price to a buyer who was familiar with the history of the car and knew 2 of the 3 previous owners.

Asking price was selling price both times.
We have sold two Model A’s over the last five years. In both cases the asking price was what we got for the cars.

Both were great drivers, looked great, mechanically restored. Local show winners, but not in anyway point cars. Neither was ever completely taken apart.

A good car, with few owners, complete records, and most important mechanically as close to 100% as possible, will sell, and sell a a fair price for both buyer and seller.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:42 PM   #9
Slowmotoring

I just wanted to upload some pictures so maybe i can get a better idea on what its worth. Its a older restoration that is starting to show its age. We all ask what is considered a restoration. I know the car was completely disassembled. All parts were painted, any rubber or bushings were replaced, motor was rebuilt. The depth of the motor rebuild is very limited in the paperwork i have for it so i dont know a lot of the details on that. I have the hood but the top two sections need to be painted. Car starts immediately and seems to run good. Transmission seems to shift good. Thank you ahead of time for your input. I know its not a “restoration” to some of the standards that some of us have. All im asking for is a rough idea on what my asking price should be.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:32 PM   #10
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmotoring View Post
I just wanted to upload some pictures so maybe i can get a better idea on what its worth. Its a older restoration that is starting to show its age. We all ask what is considered a restoration. I know the car was completely disassembled. All parts were painted, any rubber or bushings were replaced, motor was rebuilt. The depth of the motor rebuild is very limited in the paperwork i have for it so i dont know a lot of the details on that. I have the hood but the top two sections need to be painted. Car starts immediately and seems to run good. Transmission seems to shift good. Thank you ahead of time for your input. I know its not a “restoration” to some of the standards that some of us have. All im asking for is a rough idea on what my asking price should be.
Need picture showing carburetor. Looks like something special.

What about brakes and front end? Have they been done. Tires, wires, springs, what do you know?

Enjoy.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:24 PM   #11
Slowmotoring

Carburetor is just the weber downdraft kit that is available through most of the large vendors. The brakes were all redone in the mid 90’s when the car was redone. They have been adjusted and seem to work well. The front end components themselves seem to be tight but i am curious if the steering box is starting to have a little extra play in it. Sometimes it feels a little sloppy but im also used to driving a new vehicle and havent driven any other model a’s to compare mine to. All wiring was redone during the rebuild.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:36 AM   #12
ronn

what I already said............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:22 AM   #13
Wick

Very nice car....Add new tires,hoses,paint the hood,Clay bar the paint,will put the car @ $12,500 New tires will make it look fresh and ride real nice. Leave it as is,expect 9-10k.
For myself I would have to be at $7,500 This would allow me to spend 2k on taking the car up to the next level,then I could sell it for $12,500. Being a 28/29 Tudor it's a tuff market.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:51 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Very nice car....Add new tires,hoses,paint the hood,Clay bar the paint,will put the car @ $12,500 New tires will make it look fresh and ride real nice. Leave it as is,expect 9-10k.
For myself I would have to be at $7,500 This would allow me to spend 2k on taking the car up to the next level,then I could sell it for $12,500. Being a 28/29 Tudor it's a tuff market.
Good luck with that!! New tires and Hen's Teeth seem to be on the endangered species list for 2022 (-and likely 2023 too!!).

Seriously, I agree with Fred that this car is likely going to be $10k or under on selling price. From a distance, the car would appear to show well, but there is plenty of competition out there for comparable Tudors to choose from. IMHO, items like the leaking head gasket will raise a flag to a hobbyist that is new to the hobby and does not have mechanic skills. As admitted above, the paint is beginning to give up which is a flag as most people buy 'shine'. For me, it looks as if someone was doing a fairly nice amateur restoration however the car was never really finished. In other words, the restorer had the mindset of 'it will be good enough'. Where I get that from is the front bumper brackets appear to still be bent, the floormat, the sagging front spring, lack of striping, hood paint, and maybe a few other things tend to be small flags for me. With that said, someone who has some skills in their garage could likely take this car and move it up a level by changing the window trim color to be more authentic, add the floor mats, clean and detail the engine compartment, install the generator wire conduit, install the correct style carburetor, repair the bumper brackets, change the tail lamp lens to more authentic ones, and a host of other little things, ...and this car would likely show well enough to attract most buyers in this market.

One very positive thing it does have is a nice interior. Generally speaking, Ladies like a car that smells nice and looks clean inside when they are riding. (The driver's seat relocator this car has is a nice thing to have for most of us. ) Good Luck on your sale!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:06 AM   #15
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
what I already said............
I would second RONN on this.

Good luck.