Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2022, 06:55 PM   #1
bergie

Default Lubriplate/something better?

I’m doing the brakes on a 1950 f1 and the Ford manual says to use Lubriplate on all metal to metal contact points. I am wondering if there isn’t a modern lubricant that’s even better. For instance during my online search one Fordbarner mentioned Permatex silicone ceramic brake lubricant. Please weigh in.
As a separate question, I am going to grease all the zerts while I have the engine removed and the bed off. I currently have “marine” grease in my gun to refill my boat trailer wheel bearings. Is this ok to use or what would be better? Thanks for sharing your experience.
bergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: Lubriplate/something better?

I have used antisieze for many many years on all brake stuff for years.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:44 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

Lubriplate may have been state of the art in 1950 but it dries out and turns hard. Just about any grease that is made for disk bake heat would be fine, you only wipe a very thin layer on drum brake friction points.
Anything made for boat trailer wheel bearings would be fine for zerk fittings on an old Ford in my opinion.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:49 PM   #4
cas3

Agree with this ^^^ lubriplate really has no use at all anymore that I can think of. In the old days it was many engine builders choice for lube on rebuilds. I never liked it as even on the first oil change the stuff had not broken down, globs flow out. My neighbor is the owner of ( dune buggy supply ) a VW air cooled guy. They had a bunch of rebuilt motors on the shelf, as they build them up in winter, slow season. They had some bearing failures on new motors, so took one off the shelf and tore it down. Old lubriplate hard as a rock. I like the clevite brand assembly lube. Back on topic, yes your boat trailer grease would be fine on an old ford, not lower unit grease as that is white lithium I suspect similar to lubriplate
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:08 AM   #5
Terry,OH

I would not use the marine grease for the early Ford rear wheel bearings.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:19 PM   #6
swedishsteel

[QUOTE=Terry,OH;2147813]I would not use the marine grease for the early Ford rear wheel bearings.[/QUOTE
]
Please tell us why, with some real facts, not just an opinion.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:44 PM   #7
51woodie

Permatex Brake Lubricant is what I used on my '46 Coupe brakes. I use Shell EP2 grease, for greasing suspension and drive line fittings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake Lube.jpg (24.5 KB, 26 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:17 PM   #8
Jack E/NJ

LubriPlale doesn't seem like your great-granpa's grease peddlers anymore. I;d prolly use one of their current products if I didn't have so many tubs of Never-Seez, QuakerState, Sears & Maytag green & brown greases still in the garage. 8^)

https://www.lubriplate.com/About-Us/
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:54 AM   #9
Terry,OH

swedishsteel: The original grease used on the rear wheel bearings was a long fiber grease. Today's chassis greases made for disc brakes with tapered bearings will break down on the 32-48 style rear bearings and loose consistency. I am not a lubrication tech so my view is from experience, as is the opinion of many on this web site. NAPA has a heavy duty drum grease that does not break down SL3131.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 07-15-2022 at 07:01 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:36 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Lubriplate was not recommended for rotating bearings that I know of. It was used on the backing plates where the shoes make contact. It has good resistance to water wash off so it was and still is appropriate for that purpose. All this is set in a time where these vehicles were in regular daily use with needs for maintenance on a fairly regular basis. Antique, classic, and collector vehicles aren't all that active for the most part. If a person wants to use a modern substitute then there's nothing wrong with that. If the car isn't driven in the rain then other products may last longer.

I haven't seen too many grease products that don't eventually lose the liquid oils from the soaps and the soaps will all harden over time. Even anti-seize will harden over time.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #11
swedishsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
swedishsteel: The original grease used on the rear wheel bearings was a long fiber grease. Today's chassis greases made for disc brakes with tapered bearings will break down on the 32-48 style rear bearings and loose consistency. I am not a lubrication tech so my view is from experience, as is the opinion of many on this web site. NAPA has a heavy duty drum grease that does not break down SL3131.
Thanks for the info. Most of us want some reasoning behind a statement such as yours, that's how we learn, from others experiences.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:14 PM   #12
Floyd

An interesting product that some of you may not be familiar with is "adhesive grease". It is made for low speed or no speed sliding contact such as brake contact points, door hinges, pivot points etc.Would also be ideal for leaf springs. Since "rotorwrench" understands the mechanism of grease being a soap based carrier for the oil which is the actual lubricant, let's continue.
Adhesive grease is in a spray can and when applied is waterlike thin such as WD40 (which is not a lubricant). Being in a sprayable low viscosity, it will penetrate down into the area (think door hinge pins) where you actually want the lubricant. The solvent that makes the material sprayable then evaporates and leaves a high viscosity sticky to the touch grease which will not separate into soap base and oil because it is synthethic . The grease will remain where you put it and not dry up or run out. This is much better than "oiling" hinges because the oil runs back out after you finish.
Very interesting stuff and it really clings to the surface that needs the lubricant, hence the property "adhesive". The material I use is made by Wurth and is labelled "HHS Plus". Not cheap, but Wurth products are never cheap but very high quality. This product will not replace every potion you have in the cabinet, but it sure is a useful addition because nothing else works like this. Think of the door hinge pin as a good example. You will have real grease all the way down the pin and no oil running out the bottom. Good stuff. You will find many uses for this.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:08 AM   #13
ms fowler

This is why I love this forum. Good information, backed by more than just opinion.
Thanks
ms fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:09 AM   #14
ms fowler

This is why I love this forum. Good information, backed by more than just opinion.
Thanks
ms fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:07 PM   #15
russcc

Good point by Floyd. I have used Wurth HHS Plus fir years on door hinges & latches, it works and stays where it is shot. Another great product from Wurth is Rost Off Max Ice a freeze & penetrant spray. Rarely been able to coax old Ford brake line fittings out of wheel cylinders with out twisting the line in the process. Takes a few shots and alternating heat and they come out intact. Expensive, yes, works yes.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:16 PM   #16
bergie

I want to thank everyone who gave input. I used anti-seize on the contact points since I already had it on hand. I wish I had known about the Wurth penetrant because I twisted the brake line to one wheel cylinder while trying to remove it. Now I get to practice bending brake line.
bergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:57 PM   #17
cmbrucew

Examine the twisted line that broke, if it is rusty and thin, replace them all.
Better safe than sorry.

Bruce
Old 04-23-2023, 01:41 PM   #18
aandkt

Speaking of Lubrication- What lubricant works best in my 1936 Ford steering box?
aandkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 02:01 PM   #19
Flathead Fever

At the phone company fleet, we used Permatex synthetic disc brake caliper slide grease on the drum backing plates where the shoes rub. It's made for high heat, lasts a long time and it stays where you put it. I have done thousands of brake jobs over my 30-years there. I followed those 400 vehicles through their 15-year service life, millions and millions of miles of driving and the backing plates always looked like new using that grease. On the star wheels adjusters, we used antiseize. I had a '65 Ranchero that nobody ever lubed the backing plates, and it wore deep grooves into the backing plates the shoes would get stuck in and not return all the way back. I had to weld them up and grind them smooth again. Always replace brake springs that around 10-tears old, they brake after that. Do not stretch them into place with cutting dykes. they will break where the tool leaves marks on them. Use brake spring pilers or hook up the springs and then stretch the shoes into place.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:52 PM   #20
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post

I had a '65 ford wagon that a rear wheel brg went south. couldn't get a brg for a couple days. was grinding like the devil. pulled the axle and sort of pushed the plastic ball cage back into place around the balls and packed the brg with Quaker State short fiber grease. took a couple days to get a new brg but could not hear the bad brg at all while driving. was great stuff but don't think it's made any more.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote