Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2022, 09:53 PM   #1
Lamar Green

Default In line fuel filter

Hey,

I cut the metal fuel line between the fuel glass bowl drop and the carb and installed a plastic see though gas filter.

The car ran fine for about 10 minutes then stalled. The fuel filter was empty. Yes car had plenty of fuel.

So has anyone else had this issue? I wanted to add a fuel filter for protection from any possible tank rust getting into carb.

I removed the fuel filter ran a straight rubber gas line and it seems to be running fine.

Is it the gravity fed system not being able to push fuel though an inline fuel filter? Again car ran fine for like 10 minutes

Any help is appreciated...
Lamar Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:08 PM   #2
Herb Concord Ca

Default Re: In line fuel filter

The filter you are using may be offering too much restriction to the gas flow. I have used an inline filter from a VW bug. It has worked well for over 20 years. I keep a spare rubber hose in the toolbox just in case.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:30 PM   #3
ETAModel

Here's my .02. Most inline filters today are designed for a system with a fuel pump and have too much restriction for a gravity feed. The only filter I recommend is the pencil filter that attaches to your fuel tank valve and goes directly into the tank. My 30 Fordor has one and my 56 Farmall does as well. Both are gravity fed systems. Over on Yesterday's Tractors folks have nothing but trouble with in-line filters on gravity systems for like reason.

Good luck
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:41 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

I use a WIX 33039 fuel filter in the glass sediment bowl and a pencil filter in the S/O valve. Does the job... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSD2BE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:51 PM   #5
Lamar Green

Awesome info thanks!
Old 06-13-2022, 05:15 AM   #6
bavArian

Had that same problem as well. Sometimes it would work, sometimes the filter would run empty. I found that pre-filling it so there was as few air as possible left inside the filter did help a lot.

In the end I installed the filter that's put on top of the fuel shut-off valve, checked the small inline filter for dirt/rust after driving a few times (which I couldn't ever find any) and just removed it. Didn't have a problem since.

I still sometimes use it if I empty the tank as there is always a small bit of very fine dirt or rust inside the tank that can go through the filter on top of the valve. If you don't run the tank low that's not a problem as it stays in the tank but if you empty the tank it doesn't hurt to catch these small particles.
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:48 AM   #7
Synchro909

If the filter is mounted vertically, a new one appears to run empty. What is actually happening IMO, is the fuel is going through the very bottom of the element. As more and more fuel is filtered through it, the lowest part of the filter becomes clogged so the fuel will fill up the casing till it is able to flow over the clogged part of the filter and through a new part of it. Gradually, over time, the amount of fuel you will see in there increases and by the time it appears full, the filter is clogged and you'll run into fuel starvation issues. I replace them when there is not much space above the fuel but just enough that it is still working. Since I figured that out, I have had no issues.
The gravity feed from a Model A tank in enough for these filters.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:59 AM   #8
springerpete

If you have a Zenith carb it has a screen filter which you should periodically check. If you have a sediment bowl and the filter in the tank valve you should be well protected. If your sediment bowl is glass you can see if any particles from the tank have been caught. Over protection can sometimes be an issue. Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:59 AM   #9
Eccentric Old Guy

Another option may to use a "stand pipe" in the gas tank. I thought I saw a stand pipe kit in one of the Model A parts catalogues, but don't see it now. If anyone finds that kit and would provide a link to it, that would be a help.....thanks.

eog
Old 06-13-2022, 06:40 AM   #10
Robert/Texas

If you use the WIX filter do you still need to use the brass colored screen in the sediment bulb?
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:04 AM   #11
Patrick L.

I've used an in-line for over 40 yrs. No issues.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:17 AM   #12
CT Jack

Maybe you installed the filter backwards with the flow going into the out port. Some filters will not flow correctly if installed backwards especially without a pump.
I think your last connection is the best "I removed the fuel filter ran a straight rubber gas line and it seems to be running fine".
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:48 AM   #13
rotorwrench

The pencil strainer that fits in the shut off valve acts as a stand pipe. Most of our problems start with corrosion in the fuel tank. If new tanks were available, the sediment bowl would be all that is needed. Unfortunately we don't have that choice. We at least have the advantage of 16 gauge steel in the tank structure but the corrosion is very difficult to arrest so it will eventually win the battle. I'm rebuilding a tank right now and it is not an easy task. It's getting harder to find good ones.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:26 AM   #14
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
If you use the WIX filter do you still need to use the brass colored screen in the sediment bulb?
I suppose you could but there is no need to. I don't have it in mine.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:30 AM   #15
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I use a WIX 33039 fuel filter in the glass sediment bowl and a pencil filter in the S/O valve. Does the job... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSD2BE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
That's what I run and they are fantastic.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:31 AM   #16
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
I do.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:37 AM   #17
Rob Doe

A proper brass screen will block water droplets from passing through. By proper, I mean the correct coarseness of the screen, and the proper fit when installed in the top of the glass sediment bowl. The screen sets in the relief / indent in the rim of the glass bowl. The gasket is installed into the metal top and then the bowl and screen are installed underneath the gasket and tightened.
Snider's sells a screen, stand pipe and spring kit that resides in the bottom of the bowl. Not cheap, but it works good for me. So, I have the pencil filter above the under tank shut off valve, the screen at the top of the sediment bowl, and the screen kit in the bottom of the bowl. I occasionally get some very fine sediment in the bowl.

Thus far, none inside the carburetor.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:29 PM   #18
Lamar Green

Rob Doe, thanks for responding. I'm ordering from Snider's, sounds great!