Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #1
Kenjt

Default Gas Gauge

My gas gauge never seems to change. I guess I can open the fill and somehow manage to look in. Is it very difficult to change the gauge? I imagine it could just be the float. Can it be changed without a major job?
Kenjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #2
TomInCologne

Default Re: Gas Gauge

it's a relatively easy job, even i managed. The suppliers have a repair kit including new gaskets and float. Beware, the float needs to be secured on the little wire, i managed to get it to unhook and the first float is in the tank forever. I secured the second float with a bit of solder on the wire.

I also used a bit of Hylomar Blue on the gaskets and i had no leaks, you have to decide yourself whether you want to do that. Oh, and there are special tools for screwing the two nuts available, get the more expensive one, it's worth the extra few Dollars.

There is an interesting video on youtube by Paul Shinn available, that also explains how you can clean the numbers...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:14 PM   #3
Herb Concord Ca

Make sure you have and use the thin brass washer for the big outer nut.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #4
ModelAMitch

Look inside the tank with a flashlight, if the float is on the rod still get a clothes hanger and make a hook on the end. Try to lift the rod up and push it back down. Do that a few times and see if it looses up, lift the rod up once more and see if it falls down on its own. If not then you’ll need to remove it and clean it, rebuild it or replace it. Make sure you have a rebuild kit or gas gauge and the tool to remove and re install the gauge before you remove it, otherwise you won’t be able to drive the car while your waiting on parts. I replaced mine and it works great and doesn’t leak. Use all supplied washers and tighten it pretty snug when re installing. Goodluck!
ModelAMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:40 PM   #5
MickyD

Make sure your tank is below the half way mark or you will have gas every where inside your car. I have both tools to remove the gauge. The cheap one and the more expensive one. I prefer the cheap one. I have one in each of my cars.Don't forget the brass washer like I did once.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:41 PM   #6
daveymc29

I have good luck using the thinest cork washers I can find. An easy job with all but guarenteed good results. Eveything is mechanical so no odd wires to short out or hook up bacwards. Take your time and be vey careful to lay the parts out as you diasemble so you can check that it was assembled correctly last time, if not follow the drawings in the manuals and tighten firmly but remember this not a lug nut you are replacing. No three foot extentions on wrench handles
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 02:37 AM   #7
ETAModel

My Fordor had a new gauge, but the cork float wasn't lacquered, got saturated with fuel and sank. I used a mesquite branch to check level.
About a year later the sight glass started leaking. We drove it a while with less than half tank, waiting on a guy to loan me the tools. I finally just bought the expensive set and rebuild kit.
After the rebuild the float wasn't even close. I used a hanger and a Cresent wrench. The wrench in the middle to hold the line down while lifting with the hanger. I got it close, then filled the tank and did final adjustments. Now works great.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:13 AM   #8
old31

Exactly what mickyd #5 said.

I find it best to use 2 brass washers and place some oil between them.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:22 AM   #9
marty in Ohio

One thing mentioned in the repair books but not brought up here. Before you take the gas gauge apart, disconnect the battery. Won't take a minute but may save your car and your life.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:31 AM   #10
gary678*

Two things I did when I changed the gas gauge that have made it more useful. 1) From a reputable auto paint store I purchased a small bottle of "gas proof" red paint and painted a 1/8 inch wide red line on the empty mark to make it easy to read. The store said to let it fully cure for 30 days in a warm room to prevent it from dissolving (I did); after 5 years the paint is still like new. A friend did the same but did not let it cure and the paint dissolved in less than 2 days; 2) I set the float level to show empty when there was still 1 1/2 galons of gas left which gives me a comfortable buffer zone.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:35 PM   #11
Fullraceflathead

The original model A. gas tank gauge was set up so that when it 1st hits 0 it has 1 gallon of fuel left in the tank

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote